Old 03-04-2020, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hotchkis shocks - Has anyone ever used these shocks

I have a 68 GTO and was wondering if anyone has used these shocks before. If so, any pros or cons? Did you like them etc..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hss-79020002

Old 03-05-2020, 10:58 AM

Any updates on your engine/engine builder problems with reimbursement. By the way, how is it running?

Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

I am using the version of these shocks for my 76 TA. PN 71020014. Added them winter before last with the Hotchkis Sport Leaf Springs. Very happy, and huge improvement.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

69 Limelight,

Yeah, there's movement on that whole situation but I certainly don't want Paul Carter to read this and see what my plan is. It's coming though! I have noticed that since Paul and Jeff conned me out of money, Paul doesn't brag about his builds on the forum or even comment anymore (I think that's telling). I guess Jeff has him on a short leash! After two years, the car is finally running good. Now, I'm just trying to improve certain things that need to be addressed.

76TA462,
Good to know. Thanks for commenting. My car currently has Global West upper control arms, sway bar etc. Another thing that I may need to address is that I have about 2-3 inches of play on the steering wheel. I'm learning as I go with this car. The shocks were just delivered today. Hopefully we'll get it installed this weekend.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

I ended up using UMI for my upper and lowers, plus their coil overs (that are Viking). Very good results there too. Many good manufacturers.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

76TA462,

The Global West was on the car when I bought it a few years ago. I may consider switching to something different at a later time but there are a few things I'd like to address first. I'm having a hard time with the vacuum for the hide aways. I found these two companies to convert it to electric but I'd like to keep the vacuum system just to see if we can make it work correctly.

https://www.opgi.com/lamps-lenses/he...c-g241753.html

http://dicksterssmartpants.com/makes.html

Old 03-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va68goat View Post
69 Limelight,

Yeah, there's movement on that whole situation but I certainly don't want Paul Carter to read this and see what my plan is. It's coming though! I have noticed that since Paul and Jeff conned me out of money, Paul doesn't brag about his builds on the forum or even comment anymore (I think that's telling). I guess Jeff has him on a short leash! After two years, the car is finally running good. Now, I'm just trying to improve certain things that need to be addressed.

76TA462,

Good to know. Thanks for commenting. My car currently has Global West upper control arms, sway bar etc. Another thing that I may need to address is that I have about 2-3 inches of play on the steering wheel. I'm learning as I go with this car. The shocks were just delivered today. Hopefully we'll get it installed this weekend.

2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel and you are buying shocks!!!! No safe way you have that much play. Please try and find some common sense and fix that before you kill an innocent on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paul E,

Maybe it's not that much play but there is some. I'm pretty new to these old cars and with my car being down for 2 years because of Paul's shady work, I haven't had much drive time. I get these old cars drive much different then new cars and I need to get use to it. A lot of buddies that know these old cars mentioned the play when they drove it but never said it was too much of a concern that would kill an innocent person as you dramatically stated on your comment. Thanks for your concern though!

Old 03-06-2020, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

Check your steering linkage, tie rods, etc, and also check the steering box. Sometimes you can tighten up the lash on it. That usually helps out an old box.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

jerry455,
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping that we get a chance to get some work done on the car this weekend. We're looking at 70 degrees on Sunday in Virginia!

Old 03-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
76TA462,

The Global West was on the car when I bought it a few years ago. I may consider switching to something different at a later time but there are a few things I'd like to address first. I'm having a hard time with the vacuum for the hide aways. I found these two companies to convert it to electric but I'd like to keep the vacuum system just to see if we can make it work correctly.

https://www.opgi.com/lamps-lenses/he...c-g241753.html

http://dicksterssmartpants.com/makes.html
I too have a 68 GTO and bought the Dickters kit some months ago. It took a while but I started installing it last week.
I already had my grilles out so I installed it from the front through the grille as opposed to what the instructions say (through the back).
The parts fit well and the instructions are easy to follow. It took me a few hours (with BSing with a friend) to install it. I did already have the grilles out though..

I've gotton to the point where I've mounted the relay but need to hook up the wiring.. hopefully that will happen this week and then I will be able to report on how good the kit works.. (or not but so far all is going well)..

Old 03-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Charlie,
I'm still messing around with the vacuum stuff now. I have new vacuum hoses and actuators that I ordered from Ames. Seems to be good stuff. I'll give this one last shot but the system you're installing I'm sure is going to be much better than the vacuum system. If you don't mind, let me know how it goes.

- Joe

Old 03-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm having a hard time with the vacuum for the hide aways. .............. I'd like to keep the vacuum system just to see if we can make it work correctly.
If the check valve is good in your vacuum supply....You may need to add a small reserve canister.

A drop of WD-40 on hinge points makes the doors easier to operate.

Clay

Old 03-13-2020, 03:25 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
If you don't mind, let me know how it goes.
- Joe
It's alive and it works and nicely too.. https://youtu.be/2iySFNAi6c4

I'm going to post up a write up in the 68-69 section later with some photos but I am pretty pleased how this turned out.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's awesome Charlie. Looks great. Were you able to install the electric system with the bumper on? How long did it take to install? Any issues? Were you able to use your old ignition switch? Man, we were in the garage last night and tested the system with a vacuum pump and the doors went down pretty easy but going up was a painful sight.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

So yes the bumper was on but the front grilles were out. They were a total mess and needed some paint to make them look semi decent again. I also had the radiator cover off and the fan and fan shroud. So I could wiggle the radiator around a bit. The kit instructions say to install it through the back leaving the grilles in though.

You first remove the all the vacuum stuff and then install the plate that holds the motor in place near the passenger headlight, put the connecting bar / rod that runs from left to right and connects the headlight covers to the motor.
The kit instructions include some directions on how to adjust things so everything aligns properly.. not difficult. The big spacers / shims come with the kit and my car needed them.. supposedly not all cars do.
After connecting it all you put in the relay and follow the instructions to hook it up.
In my case I put the grilles in after I saw everything work.

My headlight switch was crap so I put a non hideaway one in (cheaper), the trigger for the doors to open are the running lights as they are always on. In my case that was a black single purple wire in the headlight wiring harnass.
I'm using a stock ignition switch and just cleaned up the entire wiring harnass in the car back to shop manual stock.

Installing this kit is not difficult at all, I think most people wouldbe able to do it. Just read the instructions carefully and follow them. I am slow, so it took me 2 evenings to complete.

First picture showsthe end result, second is the plate supplied with the kit with the motor installed. This plate goes in the place of the vacuum accentuator. Third picture shows the spacers supplied with the kit, where it attaches to the driverside headlight cover and the 4th where the it attaches to the pass side headlight cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200312_230733.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	534371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200227_224133.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	534372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200227_223053.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	534373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200227_223046.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	534374  

Last edited by Charlie Brengun; 03-13-2020 at 04:03 PM.