Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It has a wide 4 core brass/copper radiator, with a pair of electric fans that are made to a shroud that completely covers the core...

At first look, it doesnt look like it has the plate between the pump and timing cover...It is an aftermarket cover, so i'll have to figure that out first...

I would think the first statement is the issue. The fan asm's are probably restricting air flow at highway speeds. I would also want the A/C cover's as B-man referenced.
just my wag.

If it didn't have the divider plates I would think it would overheat in the staging lanes...

Old 03-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Used on 400 cars as well from what I’ve read.
I thought so too.

My 69 is a 400 AND A/C, so I had them.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
It has a wide 4 core brass/copper radiator, with a pair of electric fans that are made to a shroud that completely covers the core...

At first look, it doesnt look like it has the plate between the pump and timing cover...It is an aftermarket cover, so i'll have to figure that out first...

I would think the first statement is the issue. The fan asm's are probably restricting air flow at highway speeds. I would also want the A/C cover's as B-man referenced.
just my wag.

If it didn't have the divider plates I would think it would overheat in the staging lanes...
A lot of those aftermarket shroud assemblies with twin fans block airflow at higher speeds but cool just fine at lower speeds, I highly suspect that’s the problem.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone else on this site had the same problem. The fans pushed enough air at slow speeds. But, at higher rpm, there wasn't enough air pushed through the radiator to cool. They did away with that style pusher fan to open the front up, problem solved. I believe they went back to a clutch fan with shroud.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
Someone else on this site had the same problem. The fans pushed enough air at slow speeds. But, at higher rpm, there wasn't enough air pushed through the radiator to cool. They did away with that style pusher fan to open the front up, problem solved. I believe they went back to a clutch fan with shroud.
Yes I did. I went with the alum radiator with 2 electric fans and shroud, covered the radiator. Ran hot on the highway. Took the electric fans and shroud off put the clutch fan and factory shroud back on the alum radiator problem solved, keeps 571 cu running cool. I have 2 electric fans and shroud for sale if interested !!!

Old 03-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the fan shrouds do need a relief to allow air to pass when on the highway, but another thing I've seen is where the fans and shroud are too close to the core, and the shroud is completely flat. When it's like that, the fans only draw across the core the diameter of the fans. It's like bolting them right to the core and blocking the rest of the rad.

I've also seen some that have louvers on the sheet metal shrouds, completely open. All that does is draw air from the engine compartment, and not across the core.

Those crappy wiz-bang sheet metal rad/fan/shroud combos you get cheap on eGay are notorious for that.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah, I tried cutting reliefs in the shroud didn't help mine so I went back to the factory setup with the alum radiator.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Highway overheat

I design and build refrigeration equipment and have looked at many radiator/electric fan combinations and thought the shrouds look like they would do a good job of getting enough air through at idle but would tend to block the air-flow through the portions of the radiator that are not directly in line with the fan(s).

OE shrouds have sufficient space between the fan and the back of the radiator coil bundle. This space combined with a nice shape/taper that permits air to pass through the full radiator surface then be routed to the fan makes the OE shroud work properly.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

water pump must have cast impeller and gap at separator ..035 to 050 not .250

BOB SLUSSER
937-286-4343
Old 03-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
Ok, car made it here today...

Its a really nice 68 convertible, that the guy has spared no expense, but it seems he had it at a few shops that didnt care about quality...

I'll let you guy know how it goes, and I do appreciate all of the opinions...
"covers the core" . Air does NOT like sharp corners. When you have that much heat exchanger to use and the so called "shroud" is only 1 inch away from the radiator, you hardly get any pull through it when you are burning more calories. People that open their wallets to Jegs or summit and just SPEND on cooling packages and untested "stuff" really makes these problems worse as people think more money is a "fix"
GM, when first building shroud technology put holes in the shroud and had 20+ Vacuum gauges all over them to test the airflow Pull at ALL parts of the radiator.
Its easy to have a cooling "fail" even when the radiator is covered by a "metal shroud" You would be surprised to see how well a stock fan shroud and a clutch fan would work for POWER and Cooling.
Highway driving burns MORE calories= More heat, and guess what?, the air flow in that set up does NOT increase... = heat build up..
Good luck.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:47 PM

Fins are coming loose from the tubes in the radiator core . I would try a new aluminum radiator.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:48 PM

The water pump separator plate will normally cause overheating in traffic driving at lower speeds. Two things come to my mind that haven't been mentioned, the first and I'm sure it has been checked by one of the shops, is make sure the fans are wired correctly and are directing air across the radiator instead of pusing it forward. The next thing that hasn't been mentioned is, if the car has an automatic transmission, the trans could be overheating causing excessive heat in the engine cooling system from trans. cooler in radiator.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Fans are running correctly...

I jetted the carb up...No help
Advanced timing...No help...

Swapped the T-stat and will test in the morning...

If that doesnt help, i'm going to pulled the electric fans, and install a factory shroud and 7 blade fan...

I did notice that the car has a bunch of gear, and it turning 3500RPM to go 65mph...

Old 03-11-2020, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So one condition I had with a similar setup, where a car with gear at highway speeds, say 3500-4500 RPM, at part throttle/low load, would pull the vacuum advance enough to where it would start running hotter. Try running it with no vacuum advance and see if it still does it.

That won't help at lower speed driving & idle obviously, but the only way to get around that is to go to a electronic controller advance, such as the MSD programmable 6-AL with a MAP sensor or EFI ECU.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 03-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
So one condition I had with a similar setup, where a car with gear at highway speeds, say 3500-4500 RPM, at part throttle/low load, would pull the vacuum advance enough to where it would start running hotter. Try running it with no vacuum advance and see if it still does it.

That won't help at lower speed driving & idle obviously, but the only way to get around that is to go to a electronic controller advance, such as the MSD programmable 6-AL with a MAP sensor or EFI ECU.

Tried it hooked up, and unhooked today.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
Advanced timing...No help...

turning 3500RPM to go 65mph...

So how much timing are you seeing at 3500 RPM's?

With centrifugal and with vacuum advance.

Clay

Old 03-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post a pic of the rad/shroud/fan combo.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
So how much timing are you seeing at 3500 RPM's?

With centrifugal and with vacuum advance.

Clay
I've tried it from 30-38, no change

Old 03-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Post a pic of the rad/shroud/fan combo.

I'll be changing all of that tomorrow or Saturday...

It currently has the twin Flexalite kit on it, and in my opinion, they do not draw enough air, and they create a restriction when on the highway.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I fought with cooling on my Firebird and tried many different fans, shrouds, radiators, A/C / 400 baffles on the top & bottom, etc... What I ended up with was a Cold Case radiator & Spal extreme duty fans, but the biggest difference was when I removed the thermostat so the water could FLOW. Even the "high flow" thermostat caused too much restriction. Faster flow = cooler water. After that, temps stayed at, or below, 195*-200*. The only time the temps creeped over 200* was extended highway driving around 3500 rpm.

I'd be curious what the oil temps are. With the large mains in a 455, mine would climb at the higher rpm driving and would push the water temps up with it.

There's a lot of good suggestions above, but I would remove the t-stat & see if that helps. Faster flow = cooler temps.

My checklist (From Least $ to More $$$:
Timing
Spring in lower hose
Remove T-stat
Diver plate clearance
Seal around radiator - Black foam water pipe insulation works good & is easy to seal the gap.
Good/big enough radiator
Proper/enough fan(s)
Upper & lower baffles

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017