Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
I take back my "thank you". 64speed why do you keep starting the same threads/asking the same questions, or almost the same, over and over? If you removed your redundancies your post count would probably drop to 2,000.

Just saying.
I have never asked about amazon oil what are you talking about

Old 03-18-2020, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I take that back I have asked about it. Sorry I forgot. I’m just amazed “cheap” oil can make such a difference

Old 03-19-2020, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

64speed

Contact Warren Oil and find out where to buy their oil near you:

Warren has a location in Dunn, NC - phone # is 800-779-6456

http://www.warrenoil.com/site/contact-warren-oil/

$3.91 is too much to pay for this oil. Amazon is not always a good value - and in this case they are extremely expensive. Amazon doesn't pay more than $2.00 per quart for this oil.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You just never know about filters .... after building my home made corona virus oil filter cutter I cut open a used New Holland OEM brand engine oil filter from one of my tractors, and a Kubota OEM hydraulic oil filter from my other tractor. The difference in quality was large, the New Holland piece was very robust, actual spring in it, heavy metal screens on the element both inside and out, very strong end caps and mounting plate.

The Kubota OEM hydro filter (twice the price of the New Holland part), cheesy thin metal spring plate, flimsy element caps, no outside element screen, basic cardboard filter media, mounting plate half the thickness of the New Holland part.

The Kubota filter element was collapsed, but I can't blame that on the filter ... that is from too much water in the hydro system, during very low temps the moisture turns to ice crystals and plugs the element and the high pressure pump collapses the element.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No matter whose name is on the outside of the filter there are only so many places that manufacture filters. Pretty much the same as places that refine motor oil, only so many sources out there that refine motor oil, no matter what name is on the outside of the bottles. The company puts the spec out, and usually the lowest bidder gets the contract.

How do you become the lowest bidder? Cheapen the filter. Unless you cut the filter open, and examine it, as above, the consumer is none the wiser. If I use a Frantz by pass filter, I know the media is a roll of tightly wound, single ply TP each and every time I change the media. it's probably 100 times as much media as a pleated filter media is and filters 20 times finer particles than a full flow filter does. It filters 100% of every drop that is sent to it, there is no by pass valve so that a portion of the oil gets by the filter.

This type of filter, filters oil to a better standard than the refinery does when it bottles the oil. Running brand new oil through a by pass filter will remove solids left in the oil by the refinery filtering process. If you want the cleanest possible oil in your engine, then going to a by pass system is the only way that happens.

On the Frantz site, they analyze fresh oil before it's poured into the engine, and sample it again after 500 miles. The solids are less than refinery fresh oil they poured into to the engine. Can anybody tell me any full flow filter that will filter oil to a higher standard than it comes from the refinery? From the minute you start the engine with fresh oil with only a full flow filter, it starts getting contaminated with fine particles that pass through a full flow filter over and over. The fine particles can get into any tolerance fit in any engine, and as the concentration builds, the internal parts wear. Exactly the reason that it's imperative to change oil frequently, when using only a full flow filter.

Dataway, the hydraulic filter you cut apart is a much finer media filter (typically 10 microns) than a typical full flow engine oil filter and has more resistance to flow. Trying to push any high volume of solids through the finer media will cause them to implode, as you found out. Most hydraulic systems are plumbed differently than a typical engine is, and don't have the filter on the high pressure side of the pumps, as an engine does. Due to operating at typically 2500 PSI, that will crush any filter internally. From working on many hydraulically operated machines in my career, fine particulate spells death to a hydraulic system in a short time frame. The pump is quickly worn out, and the valves will stick due to tight tolerances.

Thick hydraulic oil due to cold weather will also crush hydraulic filters, we used to pour 10% kerosene in some machines in the fall that would be working in extreme cold during winter months to decrease the viscosity. Forklifts that worked in freezers, such as a food warehouse, got low viscosity synthetic oil that was specifically designed to operate in below zero conditions. Either of these fixes will cause less problems in a harsh cold environment with hydraulically operated machines. Running a cold hydraulically operated machine at idle for 5 minutes with the hydraulic pump against the by pass valve, will warm up oil to a heat that will perform much better than trying to run hydraulics when stone cold due to sitting in a cold environment. When the outside temperatures were near zero, or below, we used to have customers do this exercise upon starting the machines up cold.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 03-19-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I was not diligent in my cold weather prep or operation at all ... you know, just wanted to get out there and remove the snow. Discovered that proper maintenance was better than spending time under the tractor with a heat gun at -10 degree to thaw out the ice in the hydro system

Old 03-19-2020, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, I was not diligent in my cold weather prep or operation at all ... you know, just wanted to get out there and remove the snow. Discovered that proper maintenance was better than spending time under the tractor with a heat gun at -10 degree to thaw out the ice in the hydro system
I've had similar experiences with the Western plow I used to have, with the ram extending upwards rain and snow would work it's way down the ram past the seal, and the water would collect in the reservoir, freeze, and render the pump inoperative. I had to warm the aluminum body up with a torch to get it to work when the temp was near zero, drained the reservoir and put new ATF in it to solve the problem.

Looking back, adding some alcohol would probably work temporarily for such a small reservoir. In past experience driving a truck with air brakes, and having them freeze overnight could be counteracted with just putting rubbing alcohol into the system.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-19-2020, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
64speed

Contact Warren Oil and find out where to buy their oil near you:

Warren has a location in Dunn, NC - phone # is 800-779-6456

http://www.warrenoil.com/site/contact-warren-oil/

$3.91 is too much to pay for this oil. Amazon is not always a good value - and in this case they are extremely expensive. Amazon doesn't pay more than $2.00 per quart for this oil.
Also, 64speed, if looking for quality oil at a low price point, Wal Mart house brand oil is made by Valvoline and within type is the same oil. Actually, Valvoline sells more oil under the Wal Mart name than the Valvoline name. Valvoline also makes the NAPA house brand oil as well. So you have several good, low cost choices there.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s not about being cheap so much as the old adage about getting what you pay for is not necessarily true anymore. What I was implying was if amazon oil was say I don’t know Valvoline for example why pay 18.99 for valvoline dino when I can get amazon synthetic for 22

Old 03-20-2020, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Take another look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Awesome filtration helps too!
This is an HP fram filter.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-20-2020, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
It’s not about being cheap so much as the old adage about getting what you pay for is not necessarily true anymore. What I was implying was if amazon oil was say I don’t know Valvoline for example why pay 18.99 for valvoline dino when I can get amazon synthetic for 22
Costco will ship the exact same oil to you for free and you'll get two 5 quart jugs for under $30.00. (my in store price for 5W30 synthetic is only $24.99 - but they don't stock the 0W20 that I need for my Equinox in store - it's $29.99 online)

I realize you live in a very rural area, a Costco membership would be quickly paid for when you pay $7.00 per jug less. You pay a $119.00 annual fee to get your Amazon product shipped for free, Costco is only $60.00 per year.

Have you called Warren yet to find out where you can buy their product locally?

Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
This is an HP fram filter.
I guess I know why I never use Fram filters, I surely wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy using the HP series over the standard $3.88 sold at Walmart filter. I even went to You tube to make sure they use cardboard and glue on the HP series, they do.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Warren WPP makes oils for many brands. in the greater midwest area they make walmarts supertech. exxon/mobil makes supertech for most southwestern & west coats states & ashland (valvoline) makes it for much of the south east & eastern states.

WPP makes many other brands & you should be able to find one in your area. heres a list of brands they make, mag1 gets great reviews & is supposed to be identical to supertech & is sold at many walmarts & theisens & fleet farm type stores.

* Accel
* Kum & Go Super Premium
* Mag 1
* Oasis Market
* Pilot Premium
* ProLine (Pep Boys)
* Spectrum Plus (Sears)
* Supertech (Walmart; some)
* Traveller (Tractor Supply)