Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Pontiac View Post
Got the old truck home, it's going to need some body work including a replacement fender and grill. The 389 with overdrive sounds like a plan the more I think about it.
Looks good for it's age........

I believe you'll be happy with a 4L80E behind a 389. My 93 4X4 chevy dually and my 95 2X4 3500HD box truck both have the original transmissions. The 93 has 278,000 miles and the 95 has 246,000 on it, both behind 6.5 turbo diesels.

My next project street car will have a 4L80E behind a mild 455 in a 84 GP. The choice influenced by the two trucks dependability, and high miles on the OEM transmissions.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-20-2020, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default od trans ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

I'm just guessing that you don't know the 4L80E has 75% of the same exact internals as a T400, and it already has OD designed by GM engineers for light truck usage. Not seeing any advantage of using a $3000 GV unit so you don't have to use a adapter plate between the engine and transmission, that costs $50, and takes 15 minutes to install.......

The OP could have a 4L80E transmission with a new TCM for under $1500, in the truck and running, and be every bit as sturdy as a T400 with a GV unit that he would spend at least $3500 for. Even a stock 4L80E is good for 450 HP, probably plenty strong enough for a streetable 389, or 400 Pontiac. The 4L80E is engineered for usage in light duty trucks up to 15,000# GVW.
u guessed WRONG, i have been working on auto trans since 1977,,i am well aware of whats inside a4L80E,, i was giving out another option that no one in this thread had,, maybe OP already has a thm400 bop ready to go,,and maybe can find a GV od cheap in his area.and or a 2 speed rear axle,.and some people dont like adapter plates!!,and the CHEVY trans that goes with it !!,,and or computers in their old vehicles,and having to do electrical wiring (lets face it some people are just no good with wiring)!!!! your signature says 100% pontiacs in your driveway ,any got a CHEVY trans ????? to me ALL pontiac means ALL PONTIAC including the trans !!!! the OP said he used the 389/400 because its what he had,, so hes on a budget, and will use what hes got or can afford ,..and another option to add ,, provided sirrotica doesnt mind me mentioning,is the 2004r OD trans,, can be built to handle plenty of power and no computer to run,,

Last edited by madokie; 03-20-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madokie View Post
u guessed WRONG, i have been working on auto trans since 1977,,i am well aware of whats inside a4L80E,, i was giving out another option that no one in this thread had,, maybe OP already has a thm400 bop ready to go,,and maybe can find a GV od cheap in his area.and or a 2 speed rear axle,.and some people dont like adapter plates!!,and the CHEVY trans that goes with it !!,,and or computers in their old vehicles,and having to do electrical wiring (lets face it some people are just no good with wiring)!!!! your signature says 100% pontiacs in your driveway ,any got a CHEVY trans ????? to me ALL pontiac means ALL PONTIAC including the trans !!!! the OP said he used the 389/400 because its what he had,, so hes on a budget, and will use what hes got or can afford ,..and another option to add ,, provided sirrotica doesnt mind me mentioning,is the 2004r OD trans,, can be built to handle plenty of power and no computer to run,,
So your'e telling me you can do a t400 and a GV setup for less than a good 4L80E and a $50 adapter plate, please list the numbers.

All my trucks are diesels, because I won't have a chevy engine in anything I drive. Pontiac never made 1 ton dually truck in recent memory, so all my chevy trucks have Detroit Diesel engines in them. All my cars have hydramatic transmissions in them, they've been corporate transmissions for roughly 70 years, chevy never built their own, but you know that right?....

BTW, since you know ATs, shouldn't you know that there aren't any chevy or Pontiac specific transmissions? The bell pattern is the defining factor on what engine they bolt to, some even had dual fit transmissions, what brand is a dual fit bell pattern?? The hydramatic division has been around since the fifties and builds all the automatic transmissions. Akin to saying Muncies or BW ST 10s are brand specific.

If you're saying people don't like adapters, how the hell can you bolt a GV unit to a T400? I believe it requires an adapter. I am aware of the fact that you can wire a GV unit without the GV ECM, but if you forget to switch it off and back up, you can kiss the GV goodbye. Then you have to send it to GV for repair, because they don't sell parts to individuals. I guess I can see the obvious advantages of a GV unit behind a T400. Maybe there's a reason no one suggested a T400 with a GV unit?

Then there's the 200 that you'll build that will pull a 15,000# GVW truck around, but you obviously know how to do it. I don't mind you mentioning it at all, but just show me when the combo hits 250,000 miles, please get back to me.... Thanks

If you're interested in what's in my driveway, just drive to Ohio and check it out, come unannounced so you can't say I switched cars around.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated