Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past 40+ years of Pontiac ownership and driving, I've never had a stickshift GTO that had or required starter shims. That said, every automatic GTO I've had has required at least one shim. YMMV.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnroundport View Post
Pretty sure assembly manual says no shims for manual trans
I was told back in the late 60s that manual trans applications did not use shims by the Chief Mechanic (Del Forrest) at my Uncle's Pontiac Dealership.

I asked the question because I had pulled the factory Tri-Power M/T engine out of the car and stored it and bought a new rebuilt engine (ambulance vehicle) which I was going to play with and Hot Rod.

The ambulance vehicle naturally had a automatic transmission (1966 vehicle). Turbo-Hydro 400 trans.

So the started did not line up properly and Del corrected me on how I needed to add shims for the Auto Trans Blocks. He had a document somewhere, from GM, that spelled that out in print. So I agree with the post above.
That GM info is out there somewhere.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Until recently I had never needed shims with my manual transmission Pontiacs. Every auto trans Pontiac I have had needed shims. The last starter used on my manual trans needed shims but it looks like they might have milled the housing.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The block (starter pad), starter, and flexplate/flywheel relation is why it needs shims. Or at least checked. Not matter auto or manual, you NEED to check. Period.

If any of the parts change, block, starter, flexplate/flywheel, as well as line hone/bore, that relationship can change. Hence, it needs to be rechecked.

OE type replacement starter are junk. They have been rebuilt so many times, and the parts used countless times, you never know what you're getting.

Buy a mini starter. The failures probably have nothing to do with the shim.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-31-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a stack of shims with some parts a while back if you need any.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 10-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I was told back in the late 60s that manual trans applications did not use shims by the Chief Mechanic (Del Forrest) at my Uncle's Pontiac Dealership.

I asked the question because I had pulled the factory Tri-Power M/T engine out of the car and stored it and bought a new rebuilt engine (ambulance vehicle) which I was going to play with and Hot Rod.

The ambulance vehicle naturally had a automatic transmission (1966 vehicle). Turbo-Hydro 400 trans.

So the started did not line up properly and Del corrected me on how I needed to add shims for the Auto Trans Blocks. He had a document somewhere, from GM, that spelled that out in print. So I agree with the post above.
That GM info is out there somewhere.

Tom V.
Thanks for making this post Mr. Vaught. Extremely educational. Thanks to Mr. Del Forrest (chief mechanic) at your uncles dealership who shared this with you so long ago. This is vital information that was almost lost to time. This really helps us, the remaining faithful. Thank you very much for the clarification. Regrettably, If wrong information is repeated enough times it becomes fact. Thanks for setting the facts straight sir.

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 10-24-2023, 08:09 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is, if the starter is too loose with no shims it can be shimmed tighter. Cut the shim off so there is only one bolt hole and put the shim under the outside hole(the one closest to the frame). That will pivot the starter closer to the flywheel. I had to do this on my M/T GTO when I used an IMI mini starter. You have to check clearance when you do this because if you get the starter too tight it’s gonna break.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never had any luck with shims.
Used a 3/8" flat washer under the starters outside bolt to tilt it in so I had space for a 1/8" welding rod in the crotch of the teeth.
Mini starters instructions was where I got it.