Old 02-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gearhead candy store delivery

Fedex delivered some candy for me today.

Needed to upgrade my distributor and after having a ready-to-quit troublesome msd I thought about going back to points. ultimately decided on the dui hei distributor. its scribed right on the bottom 24 degrees @ 3,000 rpm. right down Pontiac alley.

going electric fans so went with the powermaster 150amp 12si unit. it to comes with the info amp data sheet card.

gotta get my dash gauges in and operating and fans etc before getting back to body work. goal is to have the body completely done by Christmas this year and paint it next spring and promptly go thru some rear tires and rack up a ton of miles!

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default March system mod

some pics of my mod to the march serpentine water pump pully to run a mechanical fan. carefully scribe the pulley lines of the spacer fitting and even more carefully die grind the openings needed. worked great.

decided to run the mechanical fan. went ahead and used the powermaster alternator anyway so its there should I need more juice for whatever.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well. The factory clutch fans are the way to go when going mechanical, but that will work. Many have complained about the aftermarket direct fans coming apart, so just keep an eye on it.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default flex-a-lite 19"

these are actually very good, very solid fans. actually rated to 10,000rpm well above my 5,700rpm shift point painted mine in Pontiac engine blue metallic, the only Pontiac engine color that belongs on a Pontiac engine ha.

I don't like the look nor needed a stock clutch fan. got several up in the attic, couple are original hard to find ones i'm told. probably put em up for sale soon for the museum car guys.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default fanned and shrouded etc

Funny how things work out sometimes. I'm very pleased with the champion radiator fit, my flex fan fit great and the factory fan shroud fit great after some trimming here and there. glad to have stayed with the mechanical fan.

DUI distributor is in with the BOP composite gear, powermaster alternator and starter, engine running great. I peeled the dui sticker off the distributor didn't like all the advertisement. prefer a clean look.

I could throw the grills and lights in and actually drive the car now. but I won't. maybe when the final body work and gap fitment is done i'll drive it down and get the exhaust installed.

engine bay is dirty and messy yet but that'll change later for sure. that's one of my favorite areas to detail.

next up is to install to operational my speedhut gauges and new bezel. yeha

Old 03-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Speedhuttin'

nice weekend project installing the speedhut gauges. so I had paid an extra 50 bucks for them to not put the speedhut logo on the gauges and they made em that way. since then others have tried that and they wouldn't do it so this may be a one set only thing.

the gps speedometer antenna is magnetic and I drilled a hole in the dash front speaker location for it. I wont be putting a speaker there anyway. looks right at home there, you have to put it where it sees sky real well. it works great. I wired it hot per instruction option and it acquires signal in less than 2 seconds that way.

the tach is awesome with the built in shift light. you can set the led light "spread" however you want. have yellow lights come on earlier and 200rpm apart before the red shift led lights etc or you can have it all light together at shift point.

I wanted to retain the brake warning light and the alternator/battery warning light (didn't want to run a volt gauge) so I got a couple 12mm led warning lights from alpinetech one has the brake logo and the other a battery logo. I didn't want to put em in my dash bezel so I put them in the plastic panel right below the steering wheel. being black you don't notice em down there but their bright when lit so you will notice them then! the center dial is the dimmer that comes with the speedhut gauges.

the blinkers and high beam indicators are built into the speedometer. chose the blue backlighting to go with the future center blue Trans Am stripe uh huh!

time to morph back to the looooooooong period of final gap fit and seemingly endless bodywork and sanding. my new interior is in boxes in the attic awaiting paint. how I wish I was already there!

Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear Panel wet layup & sanding

the fiberglass tail panel although in nice shape did have a few cracks and I plugged the holes from the dreaded drilled on dealers sign. 3 ply wet layup for all areas made it really strong. used micro fiber fiberglass filler on the outside as needed. just a general sanding on some parts to get a first coat of basic epoxy primer on everything.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default windshields removed more sanding

removed both windshields, replacing all 4 glass pieces. glad the windshield channels front and back are rock solid and rust free. again just a general sanding of all areas to get a first coat of epoxy primer down as I had sanded some areas awhile back and want to prevent surface rust from forming.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk action

went ahead and finished out the trunk. I like the black/gray, i'll put my plug in for the rattle can eastwood stuff. not concerned with the original looking thing. just want what looks good. I was impressed with it because I had used the auto parts store dupli color stuff several times and the cans always plugged before empty. eastwood cans emptied to the last drop and came out incredibly consistent. hit with a heavy dose of urethane clear. the trunk is crazy rust proofed. 2 coats of por 15, then epoxy primed, then spattered, then clear. lol

Old 04-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Black primered bandit car...sort of

general sanding everywhere and a first coat of epoxy primer on everything now. I like to loosely install grills and such once in awhile and get some idea how its looking. the whole car still has to come back apart for gap and body filler as needed.

Going to install the new windshields, trailer it down to get the exhaust installed, going with dynomax ultra flow mufflers I decided on 2 1/2" pipe, h pipe and exhaust splitters. I don't like that straight out pipe look at all. not going to show but an inch or so of the splitters though. just a little I think will look pretty good. then i'll re-visit the hassle of pulling the front coil springs to cut just a little more to get it where I want, then get the front end aligned. then finally back to gap and body filler work. I'll be 59 in august want to have it done before i'm 60 so I believe i'm on easy street to make that. yeha

Old 04-02-2020, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow!
you're getting alot done!
do you happen to have a picture of where and how the dealer badge was affixed?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great, doing a great job keep goin.........
When u start to put the tail panel on again with the lock cylinder can u tell me if the cylinder is flush with the outside or not...
Mine does not sit flush with the panel and of course the key kinda hits the panel
Scarebird shimmed his lock cylinder out so the cylinder face is flush with the panel...just curious cause I've read different things on position...
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=771091

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 04-03-2020, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default dealer badging/trunk lock fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
wow!
you're getting alot done!
do you happen to have a picture of where and how the dealer badge was affixed?
pics of the badge. classic heavy chrome type badge of the era. "McKenzie" dealership of Omaha Nebraska. still have the badge. car was bought new and stayed there entire time till I came along.

It was drilled/held on with barrel shaped clips fitting over the tongs. I can't believe they drilled into a fiberglass panel to install these! notice they would have had to remove or loosen way up, the panel to get the barrel clips on. my Dad clued me in way back when I bought a brand new 1980 Trans Am to request -no dealer sign- be put on. he sold cars and I would never have thought of that. ever since Iv'e always request "no sign" on every car I buy. even had some remove the decal before I picked it up ha.

Cnc, funny you ask......I had to repair the area at the keyhole opening from years of key hits and miss's and especially the filing of the opening that happens with the key every time it got put through there. you can see in the pics, the lock does not set flush. that's a decent idea to shim it, but being a hobby car and having had to restore it, I will be very careful with the key. been trying to think of some sort of edge protection for it though. clear snap in plastic ring of some sort.

this was obviously not an original spoiler car. perhaps the dealer would have put it there if a spoiler car.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you very much for that!!

I am contemplating doing exactly what you have undone, as I acquired a period correct badge for my car from the dealership that sold it, from a gentleman who worked there when my car was new.
(apparently several years ago he found a small stash of these, and gave me one of the last ones.)

Here's a picture of my "model" holding the badge in two spots where I am thinking of putting it;
Your pictures confirm what was probably a pretty standard location for dealer badges when these cars were new, but I am thinking because of the size of mine, it might be better to put a bit lower, closer to the bumper (as pictured on the left).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two optional spots.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	536270  

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default badge

fine young Pontiac man there.

heres a couple dealers badges I have the one being what was on my Firebird. it still has the barrel clip on it I noticed. I see now the panel would not have had to been removed or loosened, barrel clip would have went on the prong first then pushed into the panel to snap in.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks

I hope that at least one of my kids are into cars, but I won't push it on either one.

I have bunch of those barrel clips, they were what were holding on my P-O-N-T-I-A-C script on the tail panel.
I have found them in the past as the (presumable) fastener of choice for most body shops post-repaint for pretty much all badging type.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stuff 4 later mods

So I recently scored this excellent condition no air conditioning formula dash bezel for a mere 60 bucks. being steel I can weld closed the emblem holes and turn arrows, and have it engine turned. also it has the option plate where I can add my warning lights and dimmer. a fun mod for down the road. not easy to find these so snagged it right away.

oxide blasted the original windshield molding clips, I know from past experience these clips need to be exact. I need 8 more to replace the ones that were bad. if anyone knows the best source please let me know. some look very very close but if their not exact they won't work well.

was supposed to get my new rear windshield today but not till Monday now darn it, wanted to put em in today. front one is available local. my rear glass was good but minor scratches so just didn't want to re use it and regret it. did that once.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Exhaust finalized

so pulled the trigger on the 14" dual offset 2 1/2" dynomax ultra flows. definitely can see right thru em. went with the pypes 2 1/2" to dual 2 1/4" open splitters. these are nice units, I like that the splitters are close together. dumping straight down to pavement will help quiet it some also.

oxide blasted the original exhaust hangers and got one more used one on the way via ebay. I looked around quite awhile in my Pontiac parts outdoor pile thinking I had tossed the other one there, then realized this car was a single exhaust car originally so only had one! lol

eastwood had a big sale on the low profile x mat so while awaiting my glass I'll move on with that I 'reckon.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Glass

Front and rear new glass is in. green tint style, sometimes the little things seem to propel the project to the end game.

hate to put to much pressure to the restoration but I think I just may have a sporting chance of getting this thing done late this year! I don't want to rush the most important cosmetic portion though.

be replacing both door glass as well. not cracked or anything but even after an attempt of polishing them, they have the classic scratched area from rolling them up and down for over 40 years.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is just nothing like new glass. You don't realize it until you actually change it out!

I've driven cars with glass, daily, for many years at a time, and usually replace windshields every 4-6 years. And when I do, it's like 'wow'. It's that much of a difference, and you don't notice as it degrades slowly, but once you change it, it's like "I can see!!'.

You are rocking on this, you keep this pace and it will be done this year, things towards the end tend to pick up speed, especially stuff you've done in previous 'upgrade/repair' events, ones you can do almost mindlessly.

I wish I had the space you have! Whew!

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be