THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How long has it been since you have seen one of these?

Most here know this is a V8 Pontiac timing set. Original fiber tooth cam gear. Just pulled out of a 87,000 mile 400. Most of these didn't last past 90,000 miles before loosing teeth.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.

Last edited by thepontiacman; 10-26-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Believe it or not, I had a 1978 Suburban 3/4 ton 454 that had a nylon tooth timing chain gear set I got 180K miles out of it.

Around 1990, I bought a 1978 Suburban 3/4 ton from an older man who used it to tow a camper. It had 60K original miles at the time. I drove it for at least 15 years, one day I went out and it didn't crank. I could tell by the way the engine turned over something wasn't right and I suspected a broken timing chain. I pulled the distributor cap and found the rotor button wasn't turning when the motor was turning over.

I was amazed when I tore into it that the engine had a nylon tooth timing chain gear set.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 70 T/A had it.

The teeth were in the bottom of the pan. lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Suspended

I pulled the original set out of my '71 455 when it finally slipped at 212k miles.. I've got it in a box somewhere, gonna hang it on my wall again when I move into my next shop.

I suspect the original is still in my 211k mile '70 455 I just picked up.. gonna find out over the winter some time when I tear it down!

Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the late 60's I knew at least 6 Pontiacs from friends and family that had a failed timing gear at about 50K miles. Every time i heard of one i asked the mileage...about 50K each time....no kidding.

George

Old 11-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day when they often failed, the ones I pulled out almost always seemed like they might have been over heated a few times. Not so much a wear problem, as a problem with the nylon getting brittle from excessive heat. Or at least that was my gut feeling looking at them.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This and cast rods were two Pontiac (GM) engineering faux pas. Planned obsolescence at its epitomy.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 11-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Doing a SBC right now

Nylon timing gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41420276_244940886364011_7893951213450821632_n.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	496810   Click image for larger version

Name:	37583676_10209072167000965_1234246706061639680_n.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	496811  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Makes you wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
This and cast rods were two Pontiac (GM) engineering faux pas. Planned obsolescence at its epitomy.
How many cars went to the junk yard prematurely just because of these type of things.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not a pontiac, but i'm going to do the timing set on my 79 F-350 this week just for this reason. It has 78K on the orginal 400. when i replaced the fuel pump a couple weeks ago i reached in to feel the play in the chain and it was flopping around. i'm surpised it hasn't jumped a tooth.

From what i have read it reduces the harmonics to create more stable timing. they probably did not design them to last 40+ yrs.... lol

Old 11-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 2 years ago, helping a forum member reseal the 61,000 mile original engine in his '69 GTO. Cleanest 400 I've ever seen the inside of. Lowest mileage, too. The teeth were all hard, cracked, and brittle, but hadn't failed yet. We swapped the set out with steel gears. Car runs like a new car....it practically is!

Old 11-03-2018, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 18, I bought a 66 4-door Ventura from my next door neighbor. His driveway was 30 ft. from my parents. I started it up, backed it out of the driveway to the street, put it in drive, gave it about 15% throttle and pop. Dead on the road. Pushed it in my driveway and took it apart. Plastic teeth in the oil pan and a chewed-up aluminum sprocket. Fixed it with a Cloyes set and drove it another 130,000 miles. The ONLY time it ever let me down.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Grandville View Post
not a pontiac, but i'm going to do the timing set on my 79 F-350 this week just for this reason. It has 78K on the orginal 400. when i replaced the fuel pump a couple weeks ago i reached in to feel the play in the chain and it was flopping around. i'm surpised it hasn't jumped a tooth.

From what i have read it reduces the harmonics to create more stable timing. they probably did not design them to last 40+ yrs.... lol
I’d drop the pan and do the rod bearings while you’re at it; 400 Fords are hard on their bearings.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day, up here in the Northeast, instead of marking the passing of the Fall to Winter season with the Winter Solstice we would determine the true start of winter by the number of Pontiac timing gears that would self-destruct. That day marked the first true day of Winter.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 79 Formula came with the nylon timing gear set. It lasted a little over 40,000 miles and had to be changed out... to an all steel set. I changed it out in my dirt driveway laying on a cardboard creeper in late January on a Sunday, up on the Canadian border in Northern NY.... Rouses Point, NY to be exact. LOL Boy was it cold.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Interesting thread. I have run into a lot of nylon cam gears on a variety of FoMoCo and GM engines over the years with far more than some of the mileages listed here. Interesting that so many seemed to fail so early, yet some seem to make it 200k+ miles.

The original nylon set in my '72 Continental 460 was still quite serviceable at around 140k when I replaced it in 2008 or thereabouts. I mean, it was showing cracks and obvious wear, but it wasn't shedding teeth or otherwise self-destructing yet. Now, the chain in my '71 455 shed all of its teeth when it slipped at 212k. I had a blast pulling the engine and tearing it down to clean out all of the little bits of gear teeth strewn throughout the motor.

Of course it should be said, the easiest way to check for a loose chain without digging into the motor at all is to hook up a timing light and watch the marks on the balancer. With a fresh tight chain, the mark will be rock solid steady. With an old loose chain, the mark will be wavering around even at a smooth idle. A badly worn loose distributor can potentially affect your timing marks when checking with a light as well, but a rock solid mark means everything is tight and in good order.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Interesting thread. I have run into a lot of nylon cam gears on a variety of FoMoCo and GM engines over the years with far more than some of the mileages listed here. Interesting that so many seemed to fail so early, yet some seem to make it 200k+ miles.

The original nylon set in my '72 Continental 460 was still quite serviceable at around 140k when I replaced it in 2008 or thereabouts. I mean, it was showing cracks and obvious wear, but it wasn't shedding teeth or otherwise self-destructing yet. Now, the chain in my '71 455 shed all of its teeth when it slipped at 212k. I had a blast pulling the engine and tearing it down to clean out all of the little bits of gear teeth strewn throughout the motor.

Of course it should be said, the easiest way to check for a loose chain without digging into the motor at all is to hook up a timing light and watch the marks on the balancer. With a fresh tight chain, the mark will be rock solid steady. With an old loose chain, the mark will be wavering around even at a smooth idle. A badly worn loose distributor can potentially affect your timing marks when checking with a light as well, but a rock solid mark means everything is tight and in good order.
Much as I hate to admit it, Pontiac engines seemed to have a much higher failure rate on the plastic cam gear than any other brand of engine I can remember working on. Lots of Fords, Buick, Olds, Chevy big and small block all used them. They all wear out eventually, faster with poor maintenance. But I honestly can't remember ever seeing a Pontiac go past 120K-130K maximum without shelling the plastic off the cam gear. I have taken apart many other brands with higher mileage and deep wear in the plastic, but the teeth were still in tact. The "official" reason for using them was the quieter operation, but I can't ever remember hearing an all steel set make noise. Not a great design for longest life.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Back in the late 60's I knew at least 6 Pontiacs from friends and family that had a failed timing gear at about 50K miles. Every time i heard of one i asked the mileage...about 50K each time....no kidding.

George
That was my experience. Rarely lasted much longer!

Old 11-05-2018, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry

Don't remind me about fibre timing gears.

Not timing gears but way back maybe 38 years ago, I was driving a rental car (for business) in England. A Hillman Hunter. DREADFUL car. 4 cylinders of nothing...

I was about on my last day travelling and heading back to London when the fire just went out. Coasted to a stop and could not see any reason. NO mobile phones in those days but not too long later a sort of sweeper van pulled up. They used them (maybe still do??) on the motorways to clear broken down cars. He hooked it up and towed it to a service centre which was nothing more than a fuel station come junk food stop. From his point of view, the car was off the motorway and the rest was up to me.

Phoned the rental car company. HOPELESS. Can't do anything till tomorrow.... I had to hoof it over to a cheap rooming house for the night and about 11 hours later they sent a mechanic along who must have known in advance what the likely problem would be. He pulled out the distributor, Fibre gear driving the distributor. Hammered on a new one and off it went.

What a heap of junk...

Ian

Old 11-05-2018, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can tell you this, MOST made it WELL past their warranty period.