Old 01-29-2020, 11:30 AM

Question Wiring harness / fuse box swap

Hey guys ,

I'm looking at the wiring in my GTO and cant help but think that it's time to take out the old and replace it with new technology .
The old stuff looks like it could go up in flames any second when you turn your key.
Take the back of the voltage regulator , looks like two firework fuses on that thing. Gives me nightmares .

Anybody ever attempt to take the harness/fuse box of an existing 'modern' car model and adapt it to their classic ?

Thanks , sleepless Bob.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, if your current harness is hacked up, you could order an M&H harness that is exact replacement, will plug and play, and will return your wiring to “as new.” Or, I suppose, you could get a Honda’s (BMW, Ford, etc.) wiring harness from a junkyard and spend weeks hacking it up to make it work.

One of those options will produce a fire hazard - that’s for sure.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:29 PM
Senior Chief

What Chris65 said. If your wiring is as bad as you say it is, bite the bullet and get the M&H. You'll need to send them your original fuse block (at least I had to for my '66). And you'll be able to sleep comfortably........

Old 01-29-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default fuse box

there are several companies that will sell you a new harness with a new box that uses blade type fuses. Get one of those and come into the 21 century.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unless you just want the "fun" of building your own harness, go with American Auto Wire.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 01-29-2020, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
What Chris65 said. If your wiring is as bad as you say it is, bite the bullet and get the M&H. You'll need to send them your original fuse block (at least I had to for my '66). And you'll be able to sleep comfortably........
Didn't have to do that for my '65. One tip is to call them and tell them exactly what options your car has. My project got delayed a bit because I had to order the "rally gauge add-on harness." This reminds me - I've been meaning to re-do my under hood harness, too. I'll need to call them to rig up something custom for an IR alternator and HEI.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Didn't have to do that for my '65. One tip is to call them and tell them exactly what options your car has. My project got delayed a bit because I had to order the "rally gauge add-on harness." This reminds me - I've been meaning to re-do my under hood harness, too. I'll need to call them to rig up something custom for an IR alternator and HEI.
Nice to see M&H offers new fuse blocks now, my harness goes back 15-20 years or so. Their stuff is 1st rate

Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a M&H today for my 66, Guy spent a good bit of time asking questions. My harness was decent but the fuse box had a few issues.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Nice to see M&H offers new fuse blocks now, my harness goes back 15-20 years or so. Their stuff is 1st rate
Yep - it comes all attached. Just pull the old stuff out and put the new stuff in.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've visited the M&H website and see that this is already expensive without calculating in the freight & Dutch importtax ( 23,5%) so that's not an option for me.

I don't mind putting in the time for adapting existing systems , I already desided to make the engine harness myself.
That and youtube's 'Project Binky' is what gave me the idea of the upgrade.

I guess I'll bite the 'time' bullit and pick a suitable donor brand to adapt to my car.

Thanks Bob.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1*--+

Old 03-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The American Auto Wire Classic Update harness will do what you're trying to do, but they are about $600, for the whole car. I don't think you can order just the dash harness.

https://www.americanautowire.com/

Our host sells them for $589-$660.

There are 'hot rod' type fuse box replacements, but they have screw terminations, not real clean.

No one will sell just the fuse box that I could ever find, the manufacturer only sells in quantity, starting at about 1000 units.

Most 'newer' cars have the fusebox in the engine bay, and you will find that is not practical when you start trying to run wires into the cabin or through to the rear.

When it comes down to it, you will see that the AWW or Painless type harnesses are a good value, considering you get the wire, connectors, and sockets for your car. You will need other minor items not supplied, but considering if you try to buy in pieces, it's still a bargain buying the kit.

The AWW and Painless kits are not wrapped, don't come with wire looms, so that is one area you will need to buy stuff, if you want it to look professional.

These kits do require some forethought when laying out/installing, which in my opinion is enough of a task. Starting from scratch would be at least 5 times the work.

I just did one on a 70 GTO type car, and it was an undertaking to say the least. Yes, you can zip-tie all the crap and it will be hidden, like you see on those car build shows, but any true hot rodder would not be satisfied with that approach.

To give you an idea, I have about 250+ hours in my electrical system, at least, but I did do my EFI stuff too. I added a lot of connectors, Metricpak GT 150, 250, Amphenol, Packard, weatherpack, and others, a mixture to make it so there's no way you can plug the wrong stuff together. It's an undertaking.

I probably have a solid 40-50 hours in just documenting the harnesses.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be