Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Amazon basics oil

I forgot to look on the last two jugs I bought but I was wondering if anyone knows where it comes from. As some of you know I have a 2001 GMC Yukon XL that owes me NOTHING. It has 362,000 miles on it and has never had anything but I power steering hose and a water pump and regular perishables like brakes and tires. Hasnt even had the shocks replaced but I digress. In an effort to save money 3 oil changes ago I bought the Amazon basics 5/20 synthetic oil and a wix filter as usual. The oil pressure automatically jumped 10 pounds at idle. It has gotten better going down the road too. When I changed it at 5000 it still looked relatively clean for an old engine. I then tried the same thing in my wifes 2013 Charger and got the same results plus it did away with a slight tick it had. Seems to be good stuff. Comes in 5 quart jugs. Anyone know who makes it. They make 20/50 in regular and synthetic so it may be whats going in my 468. Any thoughts or manufacturer information?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK just found out its made by Warren. Anybody ever heard about them? What oil is this a relabel of then?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:27 PM
Suspended

You spent how much money on your engine?????

You mind as well use Fred's oil

Maybe try Pumpkin Spice for the holidays

Old 03-17-2020, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unscientific test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

About Warren Distributing: http://www.warrendistribution.com/about-us

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What ratings are printed on the container the oil comes in?

Old 03-17-2020, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.warrenoil.com/site/company/our-story/

Old 03-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Warren is located here in Omaha. They have a refinery across the river in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Warren is a reputable company that does lots of private label oils for retailers. I wouldn’t be afraid to use them in my modern engines.

Check out these independent reviews:

Amazon Basics Oil
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc

Kirkland Signature Oil
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9il_piyuT8

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Sorry, I didn’t know you linked the same YouTube video.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The oil discussion never ends and the oil companies like it that way. After all, your not going to cart your old used oil back to Auto Zone and claim it's "defective". Warren Distributing packages a dizzying array of private label oil including Amazon. When I do oil changes for customers, this is one area where I will put whatever brand they want in their engine if available. As long as it is the correct viscosity and has the proper API rating for the application, I really don't care. I have performed thousands and thousands of oil changes over the last 50 years. I can't point to a single engine failure where the BRAND of oil caused an engine failure. Do I have favorites? Sure, but so does everybody. Happy customers work best for me. If someone wants Amazon oil in their car, I will put it in. I can generally buy brand name oil such as Valvoline for about the same price wholesale.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like decent oil. The Warren Oil Company info was in you original thread:
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...27#post5979127

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
Sorry, I didn’t know you linked the same YouTube video.
I was just trying to answer his question with a little internet knowledge (hopefully it's good info)........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-17-2020, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Despite chief of the 60s response like I said it’s done well for me. I got to change this stuff every 1500 miles for the first 3 changes per my engine builder. If I can use this at 16 dollars vs something like VR1 at 38.00 I’ll do it.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Despite chief of the 60s response like I said it’s done well for me. I got to change this stuff every 1500 miles for the first 3 changes per my engine builder. If I can use this at 16 dollars vs something like VR1 at 38.00 I’ll do it.
There is an excellent example of two oils that can not really be compared properly. Valvoline VR1 is a racing engine oil and they make a synthetic version and dino oil version. Amazon Basics oil is full synthetic if it has the SN+ API rating. I don't know if they make a dino oil version. It would be cheaper yet. Probably the closest Valvoline oil would be Synpower in the weight of your choice.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"They make 20/50 in regular and synthetic so it may be whats going in my 468."

Now how about a discussion regarding breaking in a new engine..... use regular oil or synthetic oil ?

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 03-18-2020, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it has the same rating as Mobil 1 how different can it be ? I have used Wal Mart synthetic in my cars and race car for years. Never a issue. Most important thing about your oil is changing it. Not the brand.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before I retired, I was selling Motorcraft, ACDelco, Mobil 1 and Pronto (private label - packaged by Warren) for many years.

The Pronto full synthetic is Dexos certified for use in 2011 and up GM cars and trucks (as long as you use the correct weight.

I personally have used the Dexos certified Pronto motor oil in all my daily drivers for years. I have been able to buy this at cost for about $2.60 per quart. I was selling it to my commercial customers for $2.99 per quart. Amazon (just looked it up for current pricing) is charging $19.54 for a 5 quart jug, or $3.91 per quart with free delivery if you have Prime. It's the same oil - Amazon is just too expensive.

My local Costco now has Kirkland 5W30 Dexos certified oil from Warren for $24.99 for 2 5 quart jugs, or $2.49 per quart.

I will be buying my oil from Costco now.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In part from one popular oil related site .....

Many say its fine to use synthetic oil to break in a new engine and state many cars come with synthetic from the factory. A lot of people say this is because of new manufacturing processes and the break in is not as crucial as It once was.

Others say you need to stay away from synthetic during break in to allow the rings to seat properly. This seems to be an "old school" thought. Well what about building an engine at home or local engine builder.
One opinion stated modern engines are better machined at the factory, but a rebuilt engine needs a traditional break in.

Opinion from Joe Gibbs regarding break-in oil.....

The equipment required–including diamond honing stones–to prepare a block to the NASCAR Cup level is incredibly expensive and simply out of the budget for most of us real-world folk. Instead, by using a quality break-in oil, you can protect the engine while helping the rings to seat as quickly as possible. Essentially, during those first few minutes of operation the engine finishes the final bit of machine work that Cup teams spend so many thousands of dollars to do themselves. The trick is to use a motor oil during the break-in process that helps the engine to break in quickly (seat rings, mate tappets to cam lobes, etc.) while also providing optimum protection during what is a very stressful time for engine components.

“A lot of guys think that break-in oil is just about protecting a flat tappet valve train,” Speed says. “But our break-in oil is also formulated chemically to help a new engine seat the rings quickly without doing any damage to either the rings or the cylinder walls so that the engine winds up at the same place as the big-money race engine. There’s a lot more to our break-in oil than simply throwing in a lot of zinc to protect a flat tappet camshaft.”

https://tech.drivenracingoil.com/the...ee-horsepower/

( Information provided in this post does not represent any endorsement. And unless specified it is not based on personal experience and is offered for general interest only )

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 03-18-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, warren oil is very good oil. been proven countless times with VOA's & UOA's & is as good or better than some big name brands. but thats science & stuff that "guys from the 60's" think is witchcraft if its posted on the internet or an oil site named after a guy named bob! i LOL when people bash it or make some uneducated comment about it yet never have any facts or scientific proof to back it up... if "fred's" oil was made by warren, its good stuff!

warren can mix an oil just as good as mobil or valvoline etc, they all use common base oils for the price point & additive packages vary for every brand but meet API approval, warrens zinc & moly etc are the same as mobils or any other brands. a lot of the price of off the shelf common oils is in the name & advertising.

your engine will be perfectly fine with amazon/warren oil. ive heard nothing but positive reviews on amazon & walmart supertech oil & have used S/T in daily drivers for decades as well as classic pontiacs... still waiting for any sign that its inferior to any other standard oil.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The oil discussion never ends and the oil companies like it that way. After all, your not going to cart your old used oil back to Auto Zone and claim it's "defective". Warren Distributing packages a dizzying array of private label oil including Amazon. When I do oil changes for customers, this is one area where I will put whatever brand they want in their engine if available. As long as it is the correct viscosity and has the proper API rating for the application, I really don't care. I have performed thousands and thousands of oil changes over the last 50 years. I can't point to a single engine failure where the BRAND of oil caused an engine failure. Do I have favorites? Sure, but so does everybody. Happy customers work best for me. If someone wants Amazon oil in their car, I will put it in. I can generally buy brand name oil such as Valvoline for about the same price wholesale.
The above post should be a sticky! As obsessed as we are with our cars I doubt any potential lubrication system failure will be related to the oil brand.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont have a Costco account so I have to buy from Amazon nor do I have a Costco near me, I wish that was an option. This oil is Dexo certified too. I will do what I have always done. Use 5 quarts of Oil with one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I know some people dont like oil additives etc but Lucas saved my ass one time with the transmission additive by given me enough Umphhh to get me home when it had totally stopped pulling. I personally dont think their stuff is snake oil unlike most of this crap