Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default PTFE hose

Hello, I am finally getting back to my car after two years of craziness. I started doing a hydra boost upgrade from Tallon hydraulic’s which included PTFE hoses and reusable fittings. I am comfortable with the hose itself but the fittings have me second guessing them. The whole compression fitting thing has me concerned. Where I work we use crimped fittings on everything. Granted higher pressure’s apply there. Am I over thinking this?
Thanks

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think if the manufacturer rates it higher than the pressure it will see, it should be good. I used some for fuel. Not as high pressure wise, but critical that it seals. Look up the kind of pressures that swagelok rates compression fittings....

Old 03-25-2020, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Typically the hydraulic/power steering pump on an automobile runs with a relief pressure around 800/1000 PSI. On a forklift or similar equipment, it may be 2000/2500 PSI, or roughly 2-3 times most hydraulic equipment.

When I did field service on aerial lifts, and forklifts, we used the reusable fittings successfully on the higher pressure systems. I believe you'd be fine using the reusable fittings on a hydroboost system, if you follow the instructions for installing them.

If you feel uncomfortable with the reusable fittings, just go to a hydraulic shop and have crimp style ends installed, most places are pretty reasonable. Maybe a few calls to find out who will make hoses economically. I have occasionally run into some places while doing repairs on the road that were looking to make their weekly payroll from one job. I would think one pressure hose should be $35 or less.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 PM
Senior Chief

I’m thinking I will give these a shot with the hope of not blowing a line off. I personally have never used these fittings so my comfort level when assembling them was not very high. Lol
I have the ability to make my own lines at the shop with crimped fittings. We only stock straight fittings so I will have to order the 90 degree fittings from Triad Technologies. They sell their series of a PTFE hose that we use for pneumatic and water lines.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Brad mentioned, if you have a Parker Store in your area, they can install crimped fittings on the hoses for you. I use the one near me to repair and put new crimped ends on the ABS hoses Ford trucks use. They are small -3 but see pressures in the same range as hydro-boost, 1000-1300 PSI.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I made thousands of "PTFE" hose assemblies using Aeroquip 2807 (single steel braid) and 2808 (double steel braid) hose, and the "Little Gem" reusable hose ends having a compression sleeve.

Your concern is not warranted. The hose ends will take at least as much pressure as the hose is rated for.

I will say that the PS pressure hose assemblies I made were the only use of the 2808 hose, which also required heavier-duty hose ends. These hoses were made in Dash 10 size, and were for a City Bus power steering system. As hose diameter goes up, pressure rating tends to go down. If we could have used a smaller-diameter hose (as would be used in automotive applications) we wouldn't have needed the double-steel-braided hose.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most truck parts stores can make up crimp on hydro hose fittings for you.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!