The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Senior Chief

Anybody had their formula wheel restored by anyone that did a good job, charged a fair price? Looking for recommendations. By the way what is a fair price to rewrap?

Thanks in advance
Schneid

Old 01-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Senior Chief

Anybody had their formula wheel restored by anyone that did a good job, charged a fair price? Looking for recommendations. By the way what is a fair price to rewrap?

Thanks in advance
Schneid

Old 01-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

Schneid, I had my wheel recovered by a place called American Stitches in Mesquite, Texas. They did a nice job and were very helpful. However, it was not cheap. Also if you are going for a concourse look this is not the place. The wheel gets re-wrapped in leather but does not have the same smooth, shiny look as the originals. If originality doesn't matter, PY sells repro wheels but they are modeled after the newer, thinner wheels. They are still nice though. I've seen them in person at Carlisle.
Here's the link to American Stitches if you want to check them out.

http://www.american-stitches.com./am...es/index2.html

Old 01-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Senior Chief

Scott,

Did the leather have a heavier grain and a duller finish? Or maybe I should say, how far off from original was it? This is the only place I've heard of so far that does this kind of work. Surely there are others. It'd be nice to know if there's a place out there that makes 'em look original. I know what you mean about the $. They quoted me $210 + shipping. My wife bought one of PY's repros, but I wasn't happy with the quality. Too many bubbles and molding lines, not to mention it's the thin wheel. Anybody else have any ideas, experiences?

Thanks bunches,
Schneid

Old 01-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Administrator

REfinishing these wheels is very difficult and labor intensive. There is another reproduction wheel patterned after the early style 'thick' design coming out this winter. You might want to wait and see what they look like.

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 01-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Senior Chief

Schneid, I'll take some pics and send them to you this week.

Old 01-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Schneid here are a couple of pics of my wheel. I wanted to wait for the weekend to take them for lighting purposes but the pics still aren't that great. The wheel is a bit thicker than it should be only because they added a 1/16th" of padding to it. If you have yours done tell them you don't want the padding. The grain is duller than the original but the texture is about the same.
Here are the links:
http://images.andale.com/f2/118/104/...8_Mvc_001s.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/118/104/...8_Mvc_003s.jpg

Old 01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Senior Chief

Scott,

Thanks a bunch for the pictures. The wheel looks pretty good, but I don't care for the 2 seams at 4:30 and 7:30 on it. I think I'll wait for the new thicker repro wheel from PY and see how that looks, unless something else comes along that can make mine like new. I was looking at mine, trying to figure out how the factory made the wheels. I originally thought that it was just wrapped in leather and sewn on the inside. But when I look closer, it looks like the padding was molded on in two pieces, then sewn on the inside. Which makes me wonder, I wouldn't think that they'd be able to mold like that with leather, so what is the material on the wheel? It's fairly soft and cushy. The PY wheel was quite a bit harder. Ccass, can you give us a bit input as to how the original wheels are put together and how your's differ?

Thanks a bunch
Schneid