Old 06-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used CSS to custom make rear springs for my convertible. Very happy with them and their product.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would change the shocks first...Maybe go with Bilstein's. I'd also go to 15" wheels at least, But thats me...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I would change the shocks first...
Shocks won't raise the front end.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Shocks won't raise the front end.
No it will NOT...but it might seriously reduce the bottoming out...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-23-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I would change the shocks first...Maybe go with Bilstein's. I'd also go to 15" wheels at least, But thats me...
Hi Frankie,

Thanks for the feedback. I have already purchased new 14 inch BF TAs all the way around. Spare included.

Shocks are newer as I was told by previous owner. For the brand of shocks I do not know. Will look at them the next time I take the GTO out.

I am curious are ACdelco or Moog up to par with Eaton Spring or Coil Spring Specialties?

Tom

Last edited by Dadspackard; 06-23-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: no reason
Old 06-23-2020, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadspackard View Post
Hi Frankie,

Thanks for the feedback. I have already purchased new 14 inch BF TAs all the way around. Spare included.

Shocks are newer as I was told by previous owner. For the brand of shocks I do not know. Will look at them the next time I take the GTO out.

I am curious are ACdelco or Moog up to par with Eaton Spring or Coil Spring Specialties?

Tom
I personally like the overall stance that you have going on, I would actually lower the rear an inch or so and leave the front alone. To me you don't have a spring issue per se. Everybody has their own suspension philosophy. I would be looking to reduce the stroke of your front suspension to greatly reduce or eliminate the bottoming out. You may ultimately need to put in a stiffer spring but i would start with the shocks first. Shocks are the brains of your suspension. Real racing shocks are like $8000.00 a set. Well I can tell you those will never find their way on my car. My philosophy is springs on the soft side and shocks on the stiff side. Of coarse tuning of springs AND shocks is the key as well as many other factors. Me, personally I don't have the patience to start swapping out springs and shocks then extensive testing to only continue swapping more shocks and springs, more testing until ultimately dialing in. So, through my own experience over 30 years plus reading theories of known suspension tuners like Herb Adams and Mark Sevitsky(spelling?) to name a few and come up with what makes sense to me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	NC Caliper (1).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	543195
My car does not bottom out and its pretty low. Granted our rear suspensions are different but the front is similar in design. Incidentally my wheels are 18's.
All of this is just my opinion.

Last edited by FrankieT/A; 06-23-2020 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2020, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Greg,

The change in color?

I already have a Red car in the garage a 1931 Packard another red car would have been overkill.
That particular change, yes. Everyone usually wants their green car to be red, not the other way around.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That particular change, yes. Everyone usually wants their green car to be red, not the other way around.
Guilty as charged...

Old 06-24-2020, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No it will NOT...but it might seriously reduce the bottoming out...
It might, but that's not the point.

Tom clearly stated earlier in this thread that:

Quote:
I am one to keeping parts pretty much stock.
So he wants to get the front end back to the stock height and shocks won't do that. He has to replace the springs.

Tom very well may decide to replace the shocks at the same time after checking them out closer.

It makes more sense to get shocks to match the stock ride height than shocks designed to be used for a lowered car.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:03 AM

Thanks all for your input. I like the open dialog we have going on here.

Now to be budget minded and as I said I thought I would be purchasing springs from CCS but have to ask again and get feedback on my question

Last year I found the 1969 Pontiac service manual online in pdf format.
What is nice about it I used the search feature and low and behold I found the Rocker Panel Height Figure. Hope it is legible.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker_Panel_Height.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	543207

Have a great day
Tom

Old 06-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As your just interested in "stock" springs, I'd consider ordering directly from our host, Ames.

Moog quality is all over the board now days. Not near the quality of 20+ years ago.

ACDelco knows what the OE specs are and should be fine for stock springs - when I needed new front coils for my '81 Chev C10 I was able to order them through the company I worked for (ACD warehouse distributor) so I got them at cost plus 10%..

Eaton I have no experience with.

I had custom rear coils made for my '64 convertible by CSS after putting "correct" stock springs in my car during the frame off resto in the mid 90's. Afterwards I learned that "stock" had the rear end lower than the front and I didn't like the tail dragging look. I asked them to make me a spring that would lift the rear .75" and that is EXACTLY what I got.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom

Just a note on the measurements for the "correct" spring height. Those numbers are based on a 27" tall bias ply tire.

Your 225/70/14 radials are 26.4" in diameter and a radial tire doesn't "stand" as tall as a bias ply with the car's weight on them. We all love radial tires for their improved handling, but they are different....

Bottom line - I'd probably deduct about .5 - .75" to the number and consider that to be your target number.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Champ,

Thanks for pointing me to Ames. Their prices seems pretty nice and shipping is reasonable.

I will call them to make sure I select the right springs before I place my order.

I am going to head over to my twins after work and see what shocks are on there.

Need to get the car out for some exxercise and put some miles on them new tires

Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to take a chance and go with Moog springs for the front of my 72, but I didn't want the stock nose up height either, so I ended up ordering stock replacement springs with a 1" drop from Coil Spring Specialties. Yes, they are definitely spendy, but I got exactly what I wanted. The extra money was worth the possible chance that I would have to swap out the Moogs for different ones anyway and swapping out springs isn't a fun job.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:21 PM

Just got off the phone with Ames and I have one more question if I may ask of you. Well there may be more in the future on other items

For the rear they have Standard or Firm springs which one is preferred?

Thanks

Old 06-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv View Post
I was going to take a chance and go with Moog springs for the front of my 72, but I didn't want the stock nose up height either, so I ended up ordering stock replacement springs with a 1" drop from Coil Spring Specialties. Yes, they are definitely spendy, but I got exactly what I wanted. The extra money was worth the possible chance that I would have to swap out the Moogs for different ones anyway and swapping out springs isn't a fun job.
Are the new springs installed yet?

Old 06-24-2020, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Ames and I have one more question if I may ask of you. Well there may be more in the future on other items

For the rear they have Standard or Firm springs which one is preferred?

Thanks
If it were me, I'd go firm. Basically means they are a little stiffer and will handle a little extra weight if you are traveling with a cooler and a suitcase or two going to/from a show. I doubt that Ames would be selling anything that would be overboard firm.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:29 PM

Champ,

Thanks firm it will be.

Tom

Old 06-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Attachment 543195
My car does not bottom out and its pretty low. Granted our rear suspensions are different but the front is similar in design. Incidentally my wheels are 18's.
All of this is just my opinion.
Nice T/A Frankie...love the stance.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 PM

Hi Guys,

At my twins now front rocker measures around 7.25, rear at 9.00 to floor.

Shocks are Monroe Sensa Tracs.