Old 07-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default General Master Cylinder Question

Most of the aftermarket brake kits come with a bulky proportioning valve. However when master cylinder shopping I see master cylinders for Disc/Drum, Disc/Disc etc.

If you buy the master cylinder for the specific job, do you still need the prop valve?

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Worst case is you may need to install an adjustable prop valve for the rear. My lines are connected directly to the MC with no prop valve and all is good with my manual disc/disc setup.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 07-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Prop valve, hold-off valve, whatever. You will need something to make the rears hold off for that millisecond so that they don't lock up early. The factory stuff is all over the place. I've seen the prop valves by the MC, on the frame, and also the short fat hold-off valves at the MC. It looks as though they've now standardized to the plate mounted prop valve with the little lines from the MC.. I know that when I get my disc brake conversion hydraulic lines, they will mate to that unit. That's all I want to do. I don't want to start making lines.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Factory Did It

MC for brake type and prop/combo valve to control pressure to the rear.

Rear drum MC's has or did have a residual valve where the line hooked up. That kept a slight amount of pressure on the rear line. I think to keep slack out. Not the same as stopping pressure.

Read just enough here on PY that I really don't know any more.
Clay

Old 07-19-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a lot of cars out there that look like they have a proportioning valve but what there looking at is part of the brake warning system. They look a lot a like.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
There are a lot of cars out there that look like they have a proportioning valve but what there looking at is part of the brake warning system. They look a lot a like.
Isn't that because the prop valves frequently have an integrated brake warning sensor? That's how mine is anyway.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-19-2020, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the over-riding thought was. If all you need is a master cylinder with the proper valving, why do the companies bother with the added cost of a prop valve.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Technically, it's a combination valve.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drum brakes need less pressure than disk brakes, hence the use of a proportioning valve to 'proportion' pressure to the rear brakes.

Another way of reducing pressure to the rear brakes would be use reduce the diameter of the pistons in the rear wheel cyls, eliminating the need, complexity & cost of a PV. I could never understand why Detroit didn't do this. Maybe the bean counters had a day off that day....
My GTO had a tendency to lock the rears, with stock drum brakes. I reduced rear wheel piston size & cured the problem.

A combination valve has the PV, plus one or more other valves such as metering valve, loss of system pressure valve, stop light sw valve.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know what a proportioning valve does. But then why are there different master cylinders for different brake layouts listed?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Residual valve for rear drum doesn't regulate pressure out. That's prop/combo valves job.

Disc/disc doesn't use residual valve.

Residual valve in the hole where rear brake line hooks up is the only difference between disc/disc and disc/drum. The 1 1/8th" bore master cylinder on my old van (disc/drum) has the same casting number and bore size as disc/disc corvette.

Clay

Old 07-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I know what a proportioning valve does. But then why are there different master cylinders for different brake layouts listed?
Because each brake system is unique, depending on type (ie, power vs manual), disc vs drum, GVW, payload, wheelbase, center of gravity location, master cylinder bore, friction material, wheel cylinder dia, desired pedal feel, etc.

As an OE brake development engineer you would tune the combination valve (metering hold off portion, split point and slope of the front vs rear proportioning) for each general model type.

Buying a random proportioning valve/combo valve or master cylinder and slapping it on willy-nilly is like buying a random carburetor and throwing it on and expecting it to work. You might get lucky, but there are a million ways for you to not get lucky.

I'd start with the recommended M/C and put an adjustable valve on and tune it to what you want.

K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85 c10 brake chart.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	545331  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-20-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plus - there are a million ways for a master cylinder to not work: bore diameter, disc vs drum (ie, reservoir size), reservoir size and location for hood clearance, port placement (front port goes to front vs front port goes to rear), port placement (inboard side vs outboard side), port size, port thread type (ISO vs English flare), cast iron vs aluminum/plastic, "Quick take up" vs non QTU, etc.

Lots of variables to comprehend...probably why the aftermarket has settled on just a few different types.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926