Old 08-04-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tall ball joints with stock control arm?

Curious if any of you have used a .5 inch taller ball joint with the stock upper control arm? I was asking about combining them with new tubular uppers a while back and a couple of people suggested I just get the ball joints and do a decent alignment. The car is my '66 Tempest Custom wagon, that I use as a weekend fun driver. Not doing autocross or anything, just looking for a little better handling and higher speed stability. It has a 1 1/4 inch front stabilizer bar, a 7/8 rear bar, variable ratio steering box, '72 LeMans Disc brake spindles, 15 inch Rally IIs, with 225/60r15 up front and 225/70 15 in the back.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yes you can do them. A .5” tall upper ball joint won’t cause any bind in the factory arms. They don’t completely correct the negative camber gain issue, but they do help.

These don’t really cure what you’re after however. They will help with lateral grip, but it’s positive caster you need to help with higher speed stability. The factory arms just don’t allow for much caster adjustment.

“Better handling” needs definition. What does the car need to do better? Faster turn in? More lateral grip? Change in handling balance (push vs loose)?

The tall ball joints make the camber curve a bit more favorable. This will allow the front tires more grip at the limit. Considering the type of tires you’re using, anything you can do to provide mechanical grip through the suspension is going to help.

You’re going to feel the difference when you’re diving into a corner (like rushing a street light that’s about to turn).

Have an alignment done on the car and shoot for as much positive camber that the tech can get. This could be as little as 1* and as much as 3* positive. Each car is going to be a bit different. Dial in -.5* camber and set toe at zero. Don’t bother with a road crown alignment.

Combine with a good shock like the koni classic or Bilstien hd and thats about as good as the car is going to get using factory parts.

Next steps start getting more expensive, more invasive and more compromised towards a specific goal.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It handles pretty well within stock perimeters. I installed Bilstein shocks and rear airbags in the rear coils. Ride quality is pretty good. I guess what I am looking for is better high speed stability, like my '74 Cutlass Supreme has. You are right, I need more caster for that.