Old 08-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Default Brake pedal creaking noise?

Car is a 1969 Grand Prix with front discs and rear drums. This is the car I inherited from my Dad when he passed away and was very slowly restoring. The master cylinder and booster are new-ish, replaced by my Dad some time ago. But the brakes were never properly bled and it has been sitting for a long while – 5-7 years would not surprise me. So I can't comment on if it made the sound when assembled a long time ago or not.

Situation is that the brake pedal has a loud creaking sound for pretty much the entire pedal travel when pushed down. None on the release. I was focused on trying to bleed the brakes and didn’t worry too much about it, thinking it might subside with more pedal activity. The front calipers are now bled and are working, but the pedal travel sound is the same. I Googled it and found a lot of hits saying replace the master cylinder. So what do I do to figure this out? Pull the master cylinder and bench bleed it to see if I hear the noise off the car? Squirt some lube in there?

The lines did have some rust in them and the flex lines were clogged up so I replaced them. I rebuilt the calipers myself and they did have some rust/crud in them. So the MC may have some of the same crud.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hard to say what it is without hearing it, but i would start by checking the alignment of teh master & booster & the rod from the pedal. also check the bushing the pedal pivots on, sometimes they get worn out or need some lube. should be able to locate the noise with a helper pushing the pedal & listen around for where the noise is coming from. i doubt a creaking noise is bleeding related.