Old 03-06-2022, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Updates to 1978 Y82 Resto Mod

Got my '78 resto mod Y82 back yesterday and shot a quick video. Sorry didn't get to clean it...had to go to work for tax season. Updates include:

Moroso after market overflow for the radiator ( Cap on order), Valve covers from Butler Performance, March pulley system, Wilwood six piston calipers up front, Wilwood master cylinder, power brake booster to clear tall valve covers, Moroso power steering reservoir and finally beefier front & rear sway bars.

https://youtu.be/IJAb0y576oU

For those wondering about the holes in the drop base unit, they are there so the engine can idle. Without them the car will stall.

I have a functional shaker so the shaker flap is closed at idle and air can't get to the fuel injection. The flap opens as more throttle is used. The drop base unit was necessary to retain the shaker on the engine with the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.

Last edited by napster; 03-06-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very Nice!

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
The Following User Says Thank You to thepontiacman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the identical car except my deluxe is not velour...And I have Fisher.

Beautiful car, done nicely !!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankieT/A For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 12:18 PM

Love It! You gotta be geeked.
I also have the March Serp system - a earlier version.
I find sometimes when the car is hot, the Power Steering go's out intermittently on parking lot slow turns. I had rebuilt my gear, and new pump, but I'm thinking it is because there is not a good wrap around that pully and it may be slipping.
So I replaced the belt last year (they stretch!) cranked it tight, and that helped.
Wonder if you have or will experience this?

Have fun with that beauty!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	319_0144 Full 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	585618  

The Following User Says Thank You to Hesster1977 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Hess,
All rubber stuff degrades as it ages (captain obvious...). SOmething to try after any serp belt has some age/wear on it, is to take a piece of scotch brite and scrub the groove side of the belt in a place where its safe to do this. It kinda renews the surface of the teeth. The tops of the grooves get hard with time and contribute to not gripping as well as the belt ages. Another thing to do, (if possible), is using a small pocket flat blade screwdriver and scraping the bottom of the groove while idling.
BOTH of these operations are DANGEROUS, and should be done with extreme caution. I do these things on school buses, when needed. They do help a lot

SOmetimes the scotch brite deal is needed after a bus has driven on a dusty rural road, where the fine dusty powder has found its way into the engine compartment and embedded on the tops of the belt grooves. It makes the belt squeal and slip, lacking the grip the belt had previously...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Napster,

Is that coolant reservoir something you bought and adapted to your car??? or a replacement of your car??? I sure son't like the original plastic tanks!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 03-08-2022, 11:49 AM

77 TC - good tip.
I realized how much the Serp belt stretched as I was running out of tightening adjustment.
Originally it came with a COG style Serp belt - really hard to find and actually not as good as the newer EDPM Belts.
It is just a poor design with insufficient wrap, I even looked at adding in another pully for more wrap, but what a hassle.
Also, you can send out to get the Pully "dressed" to make it more aggressive. Supercharger pully's get this done cause they may slip under big boost.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Napster,

Is that coolant reservoir something you bought and adapted to your car??? or a replacement of your car??? I sure don't like the original plastic tanks!!!
Bought and adapted to the car. I had V-belts on before the March system and had the plastic tank installed. After the installation of the March Belt system the plastic tank would not fit, hence the change. I definitely like the look over the plastic tank.

Before I responded, I went over to the Moroso site and found only one style still in stock. They have many to chose from , but now seem to be out of stock of most models.

Last edited by napster; 03-08-2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I have the identical car except my deluxe is not velour...And I have Fisher.

Beautiful car, done nicely !!!
Thanks for the nice comment.

Do you run the Hudson Valley Camaro & Firebird page on Facebook?

Old 03-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster1977 View Post
Love It! You gotta be geeked.
I also have the March Serp system - a earlier version.
I find sometimes when the car is hot, the Power Steering go's out intermittently on parking lot slow turns. I had rebuilt my gear, and new pump, but I'm thinking it is because there is not a good wrap around that pully and it may be slipping.
So I replaced the belt last year (they stretch!) cranked it tight, and that helped.
Wonder if you have or will experience this?

Have fun with that beauty!!!
Hess,

The March system is the third one I purchased. The other two are earlier versions of what is on the '78. One is on my '70 GTO and the other is on my'73 T/A. What came through is March updated the tensioner and is really good.

The problem with the earlier versions is the belt supplied in the kit would slip on start up. This required a slightly smaller belt to be installed. Not the best thing to have a tighter belt on the bearings of the accessories. Tend to wear the bearing out quicker. The new tensioner corrects that.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 03-08-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster View Post

Do you run the Hudson Valley Camaro & Firebird page on Facebook?
Nope sorry, I'm not on any social media.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 03-08-2022, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the old Cat engines we have in buses have pulleys that don't have enough wrap. I have to keep an eye on them, all the time.....nowhere to put any extra pulleys...

Shut it off
Shut it off
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 04:32 PM

I never noticed any slip at start up, or any noise. It generally occurs only when it is hot after driving, and like turning the wheel hard to park at car shows, etc.
So I even added a p/s cooler and fan, thinking oil temp was too high.
After your response that yours is a newer system, I surfed the web and they all still show a marginal pulley wrap when having a/c and alternator. Regardless of the tensioner type, fixed or spring loaded.
Sorry to beat this to death, but the issue is annoying, and not really sure of the root cause other than the slip issue.
So- how much wrap do you have?