Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-11-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Always count your parts....

Since I have a little background in manufacturing, I was always taught to inventory, or count your parts both before and after a job. I’ve also always used this method when working on my cars, making sure I didn’t leave anything “extra” in a job. This includes making sure everything you want to disassemble and take out actually gets removed.

Today I was doing a little engine detailing on my 69 GTO, cleaning up some brackets and accessories, painting intake manifold, etc. Pull off the manifold, both intake gaskets come off with the intake, I look and I only have 3 of those orange plastic locating hollow sleeves still attached......missing one. OK, not in head locating hole, not laying on valley pan, not on floor......no way it went into the head right ?

There it is, in cylinder #7 behind valve stem. Luckily, it came right out. Don’t think it would have caused too much damage but you never know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF81023F-0DAE-421B-A292-D09D623DA461.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	546905  

Old 08-11-2020, 05:52 PM

Great advice......same goes for tools!

Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPA68 View Post
Great advice......same goes for tools!
I learned that the hard way. Dropped a 3" - 3/8 drive extension down the distributor hole and forgot about it. I actually thought it fell between the transmission and firewall. I found it once the car started. I think I drove it for a while until it stopped. Broke some parts, but the extension held up and still use it to this day.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 08-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The same reason why they count the number of sponges and clamps used during surgery.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The same reason why they count the number of sponges and clamps used during surgery.
...and the scary thing is objects STILL get left in patients!

Good catch 69hardtop!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...