Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Senior Chief

How about trying to restore two cars at once? And one of them is in the driveway , Yet by 11:00 it's too hot to work on it or it rains I'm sick off the rain and the heat.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tampa

Have not touched mine in three weeks so hot want to puke has rained everyday for 21 days everything is moldy on top of eye surgery gone bad guess I won't make the show here in Oct maybe next year.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Love it guys. Keep posting. I'm just getting started on a 72 Lemans Sport convertible and I'll keep checking back to see what somebody else has already done so HOPEFULLY I won't make the same mistakes. I'll be sure to post my own.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Started mine in 1988, never planning to finish it, just work on it until I die is how it's looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	338796  

Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 PM

jeez,forgot about pulling a toploader back and onto my chest had to be pulled out from under non-indian. i used Muncies for cufflinks

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Years ago I found a 70 Esprit Firebird sitting at a farm house. When I seen it I knew that car would be mine, just a matter of time. Years later I find my 70 Formula and buy it. Looking the formula over the body appeared solid, it was a former Texas car. Shortly after buying the Formula I strike a deal on the 70 Esprit. It was a basket case, rust bucket (quarters, trunk pan), but had many useful parts, 12 bolt rear end to mention a few. Knowing the Esprit is a parts car and taking up valuable space in my shop I tare into it and salvage every part that unbolts from the rusty body. Once the shell was stripped it was hauled off to the scrap yard.
Months go by and the Formula is taken apart for body paint and interior. Once the car was taken down the true condition of the car was revealed, man did I miss a lot of damage and rust while inspecting the car before buying it.
The Blunder, the Formula needs to have floor panel replacement. Ironically the floor in the esprit car was flawless!
Assuming the floors in the Formula were solid cost me an excellent replacement floor pan/sections. Pictures are the parts car that was hauled off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7691.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	348594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7689.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	348595  

Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Default TIME TIME TIME

I bought a 64 convertible off of the internet last year. At first glance it was in pretty good shape. WRONG! Decided to do some minor adjustments, wheels, tires, tune up, buff the paint etc.... Well, I started in February thinking that I would be done by May at the latest and ended up having to pretty much do close to a full resto. It all went downhill after I stripped the paint. So now it's August and I just got it back from the upholstery shop. I just dropped off the motor to my builder this morning. My goal is to have it on the road before the end of the month but if the past is any indication of the future I'll be luck to have it ready for OC Cruise week in October! Sooo, I would say that my biggest blunder was thinking that I could do everything by myself with the help of a few good friends and also NOT TAKING ENOUGH PICTURES before tore it apart!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Probably won't be my biggest blunder ever, but today spraying epoxy primer on the hood, and stepped back to see the work, only to find three huge water drops. Angled my wrist to get a better look at the spray gun, and a bunch more dropped - sweat out of my glove! no more wearing gloves while painting!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plumbing

Not replacing the brake and fuel lines with the engine out of the car. Did a rebuild and cleaned up the engine compartment. Did not realize that there were bad spots in the plumbing until after I had the engine back in. A not-so-fun job made exponentially more difficult.

I am setting myself up for some more in the future for sure, but for now...

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I blasted a 66 vert frame, knocked off the factory weld spatter nubs, and filled some minor pitting. Rolled er into the booth and shot some new Hybrid epoxy/high build primer on it. Every other epoxy I had ever used had a 5-7 day window for recoat. This stuff was 24 hours, which I found out 48 hours after spraying it. So I had to sand every inch of it, spray it will high build primer, and sand it again before I could paint it. That mistake cost me 16 hours of finger sanding in August in Florida. Not fun.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Not replacing the brake and fuel lines with the engine out of the car. ... A not-so-fun job made exponentially more difficult.
"ditto"

-J

Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 AM

First I'd like to say I'm not done making them. First one buying a car I shouldn't have a 69 Firebird with a Chevy motor to start to many other things to mention. In my defense it had a really cool spinner knob and Playboy and Farra Faucet air freshener that I was able to save. The next one was buying a 69 parts car off ebay which turned out to be a original 400 4sd with all original engine and drive line. The problem is that it was taken apart 20 years ago and was sitting in buckets. When I saw how clean the body was I decided to restore that one also. Somehow doing two cars at the same time dosnt cost twice as much it's three times as much with re-buying all the part you already bought but can't find.
Ok First car is at a local tech school another mistake. Second one the parts car I'm doing at home. I've done a frame off and bodywork is in primer. Motor is running car is moving on own power needed a couple of fenders to finish. So we start having another motor built
to put in it to save the original block. Well I've got to stay off the racing forum because it starts getting out of hand. Now I dont know if any of the other stuff rebuilt trans or rear end or even fuel lines will handle the motor. I know they have medication for ADD but I am kind of fun to watch, my wife has never needed a tv. It's her fault really I asked her if she wanted me to get a old car or a girlfriend for my midlife crisis, it's her choice and she chose. She said i'd of been tired of girlfriend by now and it would have been alot cheaper.
So as you see I'm not close to being done making mistakes.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Starting with a rusty car!

Old 03-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Default 908 CUBIC INCHES

I had a chev 454 in a Chevelle that spun a rod bearing, so I rebuilt it and it ran fine. One a trip to look at a Suzuki Katana 1000 my credit union had for sale, the engine started knocking again and I knew immediately what it was.

So I towed it 3 hours home and that was the end of the crotch rocket dream. I had had enough of this 454, so I bought a new crate LS-6 for $2800 as this was 1988. I then installed the new LS-6 and believe it or not, it had the same exact rod knocking sound. Somehow the old 454 had infected the new 454 and I still had the same problem.

Took the car to an old auto guy I used to work with. It was the alternator knocking, according to his stethoscope. So I had a $2,800 alternator plus sales tax, a long tow bill for a running car, and a long trip back to buy an engine I didn't need.

Ran the snot out of the 454 since then, and it now has a vortech supercharger on top of it and swoll to 496 - best was 10.40's during my drag racing career in full street trim, except for tires, cam, exhaust, and rollbar. Ran 15.2's totally stock and routine Colorado air density usually around 9000 ft.

It was probably best I didn't get the crotch rocket and maybe someone was trying to tell me something. I was not a crappy hamper.

Last edited by onewheelpeel; 03-04-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bushing blunder

In my excitement to finally be getting the assembled subframe back under the car I plopped the subframe bushings in place.

Even took the picture, still didn't notice. Installed the unit.

Look close, you can see the difference. I plopped the core support bushings in the rear subframe holes.

and.....I didn't know it until much later mounting the core support. what the?????

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Starting my first 66 build needed a frt fender found one this was years ago was a newb . Fixed the rot fixed the dings sanded prepped primed ready to hang on the car . Guy I got it from swore was a 66 fender well being a newb I fid not notice the rounded filler for the hood gap missing it was a 67 fender. Long story short drilled my old one out welded into the 67 fender was very happy that it was not in paint already ! Just on of the many newb lessons I had learned always compare parts ! 50years later it is a funny reminder not so much back when .