Old 07-26-2020, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Do you paint back side of valance panels?

Getting close to painting front and rear valances. Final blocking has been done to both, and back sides are in gray epoxy.

Is it normal or necessary to paint the back side? Would there be any possibility of seeing the gray back side once installed?

Just trying to plan how to securely hold them for painting, and if I do not have to paint back sides this makes things easier, but since I've never done this I want to do it right.

Thanks

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 07-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't spend much time on mine. I did spray the backs some since I had the paint, but only one coat and didn't clearcoat.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My .02. Pretty sure those panels were dipped or shot in a satin black from the factory. I'm tearing my 68 apart to paint and I think I'm going to clean the back sides really good, then prime them, then shoot some satin black on them before I shoot the outsides. Any body color over-spray that gets to the back sides would replicate what the factory did as well.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did not paint the insides of my valence or fenders. I did 'fog' them with epoxy and later the black underhood paint. Today, they have a basic neutral, grayish black color. I have no idea what is 'correct' there but I got the result I wanted. No rust and nothing noticeable about them when the hood is up. The areas 'disappear'.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My body guy sprayed the back of mine, but didn't clear or polish it. I think the idea is to prevent rust, just needs to be 'sealed'.

I spray the backside of my chrome bumpers with truck bed liner, it help prevent chrome fake starting on the edges. (just throwing that out there).

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-01-2020, 10:51 PM

For factory appearing correctness, I paint the back side with a satin black or semi gloss black. Same for fenders to protect from rust and a cleaner look.

For a more custom high end finish i like to paint the back side same color as car then clear coat.

This question can also be asked about the underside of a hood, today half are painted body color and half are satin black.

I doubt you would see much of the back side on your valances,

Old 08-03-2020, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes...I paint the back side of valance panels. If using Base coat.....I give one double wet coat ....and just one coat of clear.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

I use SPI epoxy, gives it a nice look in satin black.