Tremec 5 speed
Bucket seats
Power steering and Power brake conversion
Power window conversion
New front end (suspension)
Restored dashboard / new gauges / Stereo
Misc replaced items

Drives like a new car....
Starting to source parts for a replacement engine, not going to mod the running numbers matching mill.

Last edited by 11th Indian; 07-02-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 PM

I had a 68 and 70 GTO, both modified, and my last project before the 72 was a 99 Vette that put down close to 500 at the rear wheels.
Maybe I am unfairly comparing it....

The 72 has nostalgia in spades, but i think my Subaru daily driver would be close in acceleration.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyhoe View Post
Not for nothing but my bone stock 71 scoots along great with the junk gas that is available. I cant imagine 66hp makes that much difference?

QUOTE=11th Indian;6156935]I always thought the 72 was cheap compared to the 68,69 and 70 because it’s a low compression engine and the performance is nothing to write home about. I felt I got a great deal on my completely numbers matching 72 because it was a bench seat – manual everything 3 speed stick with an open rear.. Maybe having the base 400 saved it from being beat up? The busy front end is also not a selling feature.

My plan was to keep all the stock parts and modify it to my specifications with some of the money I saved on the purchase price.
When I was shopping around for a GTO, I learned that no matter how much you make it “better”, bone stock numbers matching originality equals higher selling price, and lower output years are looked down upon.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 11th Indian; 07-02-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11th Indian View Post
Absolutely!... Resto-mod....

Tremec 5 speed
Bucket seats
Power steering and Power brake conversion
Power window conversion
New front end (suspension)
Restored dashboard / new gauges / Stereo
Misc replaced items

Drives like a new car....
Starting to source parts for a replacement engine, not going to mod the running numbers matching mill.
Do you have a build thread?

My Chevelle project: https://imgur.com/a/v2PHi#0
Old 07-02-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
Do you have a build thread?
No...but i may create one, thats a good idea...

Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
So if I fixed the AC and resprayed my car I could "get" $7500 more than th $19k ppl are saying I'd be lucky to get? I dunno...
It's just that the car in the ad with all the features is also an "original" color car and appears to be an unmodified one. Those cars almost without fail sell for higher than ones with modifications unless those modifications are extremely tasteful to the buying public. I have said that I like your orange color even with the metallic flakes, so it wouldn't give me hesitation about buying it. But others are not a fan of it and you'll never convince them to buy it unless you steeply offer a discount on it.

I still think chasing after a dollar amount to sell for based off of what you can do is not the right way to look at it. Why fix the AC and repaint it just to get the same sale price as the cost of doing those things tacked on to the original offered price? I'd just drive it and enjoy it, maybe fix the AC and the other little things over the next year or so if you want to.

That said, if the guy was prepared to spend $19k but refused to spend $20k or even meet halfway at $19.5k, he wasn't really that interested in buying your car. It's one thing to not agree on a $1000 price difference on a cheap $1500-2500 car, but a $18k+ valued car it just shows the guy was only in it for the thrill of the deal and hunt, if you had said "sure" to his $19k he probably would have found another excuse to back out of it later on... He's what you'd call a "time waster" or "tire kicker."

Old 07-02-2020, 03:53 PM

If your subaru is that fast then i would imagine a 70 with 50hp more would be almost as slow. Because realistically 50hp is very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11th Indian View Post
I had a 68 and 70 GTO, both modified, and my last project before the 72 was a 99 Vette that put down close to 500 at the rear wheels.
Maybe I am unfairly comparing it....

The 72 has nostalgia in spades, but i think my Subaru daily driver would be close in acceleration.....

[/QUOTE]

Lucerne 71 gto
Old 07-02-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
It's just that the car in the ad with all the features is also an "original" color car and appears to be an unmodified one. Those cars almost without fail sell for higher than ones with modifications unless those modifications are extremely tasteful to the buying public.
I guess I could agree with that if the car was #'s matching. If an ad doesn't say that, I assume it isn't.

And I likely would never repaint the car just to try to sell it for a price with the paint job tacked on, it was more of a rhetorical question as I'm not sure I agree with the difference in valuation of the two cars. A high quality paint job usually can't just be tacked on to the sale price because that pushes the car over the market value, same as putting in a Butler Performance $16k crate engine etc...

Old 07-02-2020, 05:17 PM

The Subaru weights 500 pounds less, and the 70 with the 455 I previously owned was not stock. it had all the bolt on mods, heads and cam, maybe adding another 75hp..

The bone stock 250 net hp of my 72 moving a 3800 pound mass is less then impressive. The Subaru with a 160 cube engine is making 65 foot pounds of torque less then the 72 , but the CVT keeps it on its power peak.

It would be close race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyhoe View Post
If your subaru is that fast then i would imagine a 70 with 50hp more would be almost as slow. Because realistically 50hp is very little
[/QUOTE]

Old 07-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please don't do yourself the dis-service of underestimating correct cars.
The absolute upper echelon is original/numbers cars;
The next rung down are 100% correct cars.

This is why people go searching for correct parts - with the same money spent, the car is worth more complete and correct.
This is why I, and others have reccomended doing anything you can to complete the car, or fix small issues.

Very few cars from this time period have survived with their "as built" drivetrain in tact;
Heck, I had my transmission replaced under warranty on my 'wrong wheel drive' daily driver - so not even that car is numbers any more...
I was more concerned with getting a "free" transmission when mine started showing issues, while my powertrain warranty was in effect - and I'm pretty sure that's the way people looked at these cars in the early 1970's.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Please don't do yourself the dis-service of underestimating correct cars.
The absolute upper echelon is original/numbers cars;
The next rung down are 100% correct cars.

This is why people go searching for correct parts - with the same money spent, the car is worth more complete and correct.
This is why I, and others have reccomended doing anything you can to complete the car, or fix small issues.

Very few cars from this time period have survived with their "as built" drivetrain in tact;
Heck, I had my transmission replaced under warranty on my 'wrong wheel drive' daily driver - so not even that car is numbers any more...
I was more concerned with getting a "free" transmission when mine started showing issues, while my powertrain warranty was in effect - and I'm pretty sure that's the way people looked at these cars in the early 1970's.
That ad says nothing about #'s or date coding though. It could be, but I think an owner who is into that stuff would put it in the ad. Now, if it is a survivor, then yes, I would agree to the difference in valuation. If it's a NOM motor and/or trans, I would still question the large difference based soley on the AC, color and tilt wheel.

I have been thinking of hooking my AC back up and charging it, but it seems unlikely it would be that simple.

Last edited by etd66ss; 07-02-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
...That said, if the guy was prepared to spend $19k but refused to spend $20k or even meet halfway at $19.5k, he wasn't really that interested in buying your car. It's one thing to not agree on a $1000 price difference on a cheap $1500-2500 car, but a $18k+ valued car it just shows the guy was only in it for the thrill of the deal and hunt, if you had said "sure" to his $19k he probably would have found another excuse to back out of it later on... He's what you'd call a "time waster" or "tire kicker."
I do not agree with that at all. Perhaps that was all he had budgeted for this or more likely all he thought it was worth.

5 years ago I was looking at a 1964 C172; always hangared and in excellent shape for $30K. I was ready to buy except for one thing - the windscreen was original and had many tiny flaws that really flared in sunshine (not good if you are looking for other traffic). My offer was the asking price if the windscreen was replaced or $1,500 off the price to repair it. He refused and got dickish about it. I bid him goodbye.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I would say it's worth close to asking price. It's all complete, well optioned, and looks to be in great shape. If the sheet metal is all original like he says, it's a $25-27k car. If it had been a 455HO or M22 car (or both) that would put it in the $30-35k+ territory. If I was in the market for a '72 GTO, this car would definitely be on the top of the list just from the ad (obviously it would warrant a more personal inspection).
I think he nailed it!

Old 07-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I do not agree with that at all. Perhaps that was all he had budgeted for this or more likely all he thought it was worth.

5 years ago I was looking at a 1964 C172; always hangared and in excellent shape for $30K. I was ready to buy except for one thing - the windscreen was original and had many tiny flaws that really flared in sunshine (not good if you are looking for other traffic). My offer was the asking price if the windscreen was replaced or $1,500 off the price to repair it. He refused and got dickish about it. I bid him goodbye.
My opinion...I think that's KIND of the same thing. You weren't interested enough to take it with the windshield as-is. Maybe, even the guy's attitude was a factor...either way, your interest level was reduced..

Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Suspended

My opinion is that everyone wants to haggle to feel they got something out of the deal. I always go a little higher on price and then know I will drop to a certain amount, and then hold firm. But you see this all the time where seller/buyer banter a price back and forth and reach a middle number both can agree on.

Go to a flea market, antique store, swap meet, etc.. Hardly ever do you pay full price unless you are happy with the price. Even then, what guy wouldn't shave a couple bucks so as not to load an item up and take it home with no sale.

Sure, I have had those who would not budge, but I also knew what the item was worth as well and yep, they were rare items. I decide if I really want it, prefer to pass and look around, or snap it up because the price being offered is what everyone else is selling it for and at a swap meet, I don't have to pay shipping or taxes, so that saves me a few bucks.

You can leave your cell number with a seller or swing back at the swap meets end. Most want to sell and not bring it home. Others make a living doing this and will just take it to the next swap meet thinking they can sell it. I go the the Charlotte Auto Fair and see the same vendors selling the same items year after year with no sale, so if they don't mind loading, unloading, storing, etc., good for them. When they die, their heirs will most likely have an estate sale or scrap it all - like the estate sale of a car repair business I just went to. Everything was auctioned off for whatever price it could bring - Muncie/Saginaw 4-speeds, small block engines, a bunch of older and late model cars, tools, carbs, gaskets, complete walls of "stuff", piles of aluminum rims, and everything else under the sun. The guy never wanted to sell anything because "it was worth money" according to a friend who knew the guy all his life and tried to buy a few things off him. Now a lot of it will be coming back as Honda's and Toyota's and the family has a little extra cash in hand and a cleaned up property they can sell.

Haggling...........its an American and worldwide thing.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:45 AM

Talking

I would only buy one if it got a 'nose job' .

Old 07-14-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post
I would only buy one if it got a 'nose job' .
Men are shallow!

Old 05-29-2021, 05:11 PM

Well, no longer the proud owner of this 72, finally sold it.