Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-10-2020, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Crower Sportsman Pontiac 6.625 698$

Crower has their 1135$ Pontiac Sportsman rods on sale for 698$, bushed.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A great price for a top shelf rod!

Old 08-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Crower has no more left. Crower told me that the Pontiac Sportsman rods will no longer be available.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Are these not the standard Crower forged rods for Pontiac?

My money would go to Molnar. Nothing but great things from many, also very high end big power builds (over 1000HP).

Old 08-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Crower makes a top notch rod.... And other parts. They are feeling the results of keep raising prices and loosing more and more sales because of it. About two years ago these Sportsman rods were sold for $740 list price and they would clearance them out for $425 with free shipping. Today list price is over 1k and WD is $740 plus shipping....or you could buy them from the clearance rack for $698 with free shipping.... I wish them luck but don't agree with their business strategy.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago when it came to rods for my current 505 engine I was considering the Crower 6.8 Big Block Sportsman rod. However I choose to go with 6.8 Eagle "ESP" H-beam w/bolt upgrade. Not because the Eagle rod cost less but because of the weight. The Crower rod is heavy.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime Mike View Post
Crower has no more left. Crower told me that the Pontiac Sportsman rods will no longer be available.
Out of stock and back ordered approx. 49 days. Nothing on web site, at least that I saw, indicating that once they are gone that's it.....

Old 08-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Years ago when it came to rods for my current 505 engine I was considering the Crower 6.8 Big Block Sportsman rod. However I choose to go with 6.8 Eagle "ESP" H-beam w/bolt upgrade. Not because the Eagle rod cost less but because of the weight. The Crower rod is heavy.

I had great luck/results from my eagle rods, spun it to 8000+ without fail and then sold them and they got more use.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post

My money would go to Molnar. Nothing but great things from many, also very high end big power builds (over 1000HP).
Looks like I will be buying another set of Molnar rods. I have a set of Crower billets but 2 rods are 50 grams heavier. They are old billets that are not sold in their line up these days. BUT...... they can make me 2 new rods that will match for 300$ EACH and it will take 10 weeks.
2400$ for a set of them. Not sure what they charge for their billets today but I bet its near 2K $.
I think I will have the 2 made just so I have a full set but at a later date.
The Molnar rods are a lot lighter also. 749 grams vs 810 grams. The 2 bigger rods are 862 grams. Must be their old "Heavyweight" rods while I have 6 "Midweight" rods.
I can buy the whole set of Molnar rods for around the 600$ it will cost to have the 2 Crowers made. And people run those Molnars on 1200 HP engines. Good enough for my stock block pump gas deal.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered a new set of Molnar 6.8 rods from Lewis Racing Engines. I will pull the crank back out and take everything down there. He charges a lot more than the local shop that balances engines. But if I went to him in the first place I would have been better off. The local shop that balanced the rotating assembly (only thing they did) just went off the Crower tag and did not actually weigh each rod.
Mike would have found it right away, he does very high end stuff. Good thing I found it myself.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would bet ya Lewis charges more because with his refined set up he can balance at 1" out from the center of the crank and not the far less race / high rpm Eeffective 3" out from the Crank center which is more the norm for stock / street high performance rebuilds and even so race builds!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Ordered a new set of Molnar 6.8 rods from Lewis Racing Engines. I will pull the crank back out and take everything down there. He charges a lot more than the local shop that balances engines. But if I went to him in the first place I would have been better off. The local shop that balanced the rotating assembly (only thing they did) just went off the Crower tag and did not actually weigh each rod.
Mike would have found it right away, he does very high end stuff. Good thing I found it myself.
So you won't be running this year?

Old 08-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Stay far away from that guy.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I would bet ya Lewis charges more because with his refined set up he can balance at 1" out from the center of the crank and not the far less race / high rpm Eeffective 3" out from the Crank center which is more the norm for stock / street high performance rebuilds and even so race builds!
I think you are right. Check out his website. Shop full of new high end equipment. He has one of those 4 axis CNC machines that locates off of 2 spots, the IA2 block is in his CAD files.
Very clean shop. Has a dyno . Dyno of broken dreams he says. So its honest.
Lewis does some engines for Australian Pro Stock and you know how they RPM.
Also Cup engines I believe. I think I have the right place. Wish I listened to my buddy and went there in the first place.
See, I go my block back from Dan (RIP) and it was semi finished. Just needed bored and decked and there is one very reputable shop who does all the align boring around here. So I had it sent there to bore and deck and double check the align job with splayed caps. He did that and told me the align hone was dead on the nuts. Checked the Scat crank for clearances and it was .003 on mains and .003 on rods. .0025 if I run a coated bearing. But he does not balance.
So I took my rotating assembly to the one local shop that does balance. They did re balance my old 455 crank when I went from SD455 rods to generic H beams and it runs great. But it is a iron head, cast crank 5500RPM deal vs the all forged High Port engine that will see 7K once in awhile.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
So you won't be running this year?
Well the last race is in a month. Crank is going down to Lewis Monday, he will have it another week. Then I have to assemble and get pushrod length and order those.
It will be tight, don't want to rush things. I will give it a shot, I hate them all racing without me. I have not missed a season since the 90s.
Redding runs late in the year simply because it is so hot over there in the summer. So I might take it over the mountains and give it a shot. Or I could just dyno it and take my time. Always wanted to dyno a engine. Another 800$, but at this point I am lighting money on fire so what the he!!, who knows.
Probably better off taking my time.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Crower rods are USA made and very strong rods. It will be a shame if they are no longer going to make them for Pontiac engines. If they were around $600-700 and available I'd use them before anything coming out of China, even if the offshore rods were going to be re-worked/finish machined here in the USA.......FWIW......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-14-2020, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post

+1
Good value.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Crower rods are USA made and very strong rods. It will be a shame if they are no longer going to make them for Pontiac engines. If they were around $600-700 and available I'd use them before anything coming out of China, even if the offshore rods were going to be re-worked/finish machined here in the USA.......FWIW......Cliff
Cliff R,
I ordered a set of the Sportsmans rods for the sale price listed in the OP. The order was accepted and confirmed though as stated there is a backlog for the rods. Not sure where the idea that Pontiac rods will no longer be available came from.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
Cliff R,
I ordered a set of the Sportsmans rods for the sale price listed in the OP. The order was accepted and confirmed though as stated there is a backlog for the rods. Not sure where the idea that Pontiac rods will no longer be available came from.
Easy--
They tell people that to get sales up and see if there is really a demand.
I like these rods but that is about where they should be priced at anyways!

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
Easy--
They tell people that to get sales up and see if there is really a demand.
I like these rods but that is about where they should be priced at anyways!
Never thought of that; scare people into buying to gauge demand. Agree though on the price, way too much $$$ at retail...