WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Twin #1

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Twin #2

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Needed the babies on the same page.....

Old 12-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
Needed the babies on the same page..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please, much more similar to the Pontiac line up and right off the lot its easily half a second faster in the quarter than your link to the time clock for the green GTO.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

How about these twins:
Old 12-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

Old 12-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rabon. Take a breath. The idea behind my posting of the Cavalier picture in conjunction with my posting of the GTO picture was to show the similarity between the 2 physically. I guess this went over your head or they looked so similar you couldn't tell the difference.

Curious how my original GTO was introduced into this thread. I would hope after 35 years GM could make a performance improvement, although I'm curious how quick the "GTO" would be on 225/70-14 Radial T/A's.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Chevelle. They are overpriced. I do however like the 72 body style.
I've seen my car.

The new GTO.
No Monaros around to be confused with so thats a good point.
Can't tell it's not a Cavalier until you get real close. Probably not good.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rabon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
Needed the babies on the same page..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please, much more similar to the Pontiac line up and right off the lot its easily half a second faster in the quarter than your link to the time clock for the green GTO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I belive he was talking in the context of the generic styling. Performance wise the GM Monaro can hold it's own. Other than that GM did nothing to distinguish this car as a GTO. It could have been called anything. The GTO moniker was most likely an afterthought in an attempt to ride the coattails of a legendary name.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Chief

No Monaros around that look similar, humm...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

BTW that '70 Monaro has a split grill. In case you were wondering.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Chief

I would hope after 35 years GM could make a performance improvement, although I'm curious how quick the "GTO" would be on 225/70-14 Radial T/A's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, about the tread. Do you want to talk about having yours meet current emmission and fuel economy standards?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I think my car would meet the requirements in force in 1969. How about some airbags? Maybe I should put my gas tank in the trunk to meet safety requirements. Maybe GM has some leftover gas tank into the trunk kits leftover from the "new" GTO.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

No, I think my car would meet the requirements in force in 1969. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my point. The new GTO beats your vintage GTO in the 1/4 mile while getting much better fuel economy, giving much better driving comfort and meeting current emission standards.

Bottom line: You won't make me dislike it and I won't make you like it.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rabon, how did you twist this thread around to get here? I was comparing a Cavalier's looks to the "new" GTOs looks. Suddenly you are comparing my 69 to an 04 in the area of comfort, economy and emission standards and saying you have made a point. Interesting thought process you have.......

Old 12-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Chief

Didn't twist it around. You were trying to imply that you could barely tell the difference between a new Cavalier and a new GTO (which is absurd since I can tell them apart at a great distance). I simply showed you that there is more similarity between the older GM bodies than the newer GM bodies. Your argument about similarities with other things on the road is moot. The GTO has always had similarity with "brother" divisions of GM and even within Pontiac as well as the original Monaro line, which was based on those GM platforms.

The performance and driveability entered into the equation from your link. The performance of several GM cars on the road in the late '60s early '70s was very similar. The new GTO is considerably more unique to the GM stable of today than any GTO of any era ever produced for the reasons of affordability, driveability, fuel economy and performance.

Look at the WHOLE picture David, don't just say stuff like "it looks like a Cavalier" when it looks no more like a Cavalier than your GTO looked like a '70 Monaro.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...you could barely tell the difference between a new Cavalier and a new GTO (which is absurd...it looks no more like a Cavalier than your GTO looked like a '70 Monaro. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

" Built on a Monaro chassis, the 2004 GTO has a look that is not uncommon in GMs lower level cars such as the GrandAm or Cavalier" Joe Ivers, Executive Director of Quality and Customer Satisfaction JD Power and Associates: " Are GTO weak sales a Result of Flat Styling?". C'mon GM: Fess up your mistake and go back to the drawing board or the GTO will be another casuality of Lutz-Think.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Red70goat, why don't you just go ahead and buy one, an '04GTO? You know you want one. Just go ahead and do it. We understand and promise not to rag you about it.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pont3:
Red70goat, why don't you just go ahead and buy one, an '04GTO?... (QUOTE]

In actuality it wouldn't take much: A less outdated generic look, bring the quality up a notch, maybe a powerplant uniquely Pontiac and I'm there.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Didn't twist it around. You were trying to imply that you could barely tell the difference between a new Cavalier and a new GTO (which is absurd since I can tell them apart at a great distance). I simply showed you that there is more similarity between the older GM bodies than the newer GM bodies. Your argument about similarities with other things on the road is moot. The GTO has always had similarity with "brother" divisions of GM and even within Pontiac as well as the original Monaro line, which was based on those GM platforms.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The older bodies were indeed very similar. The older bodies were based on the chassis. I hardly think that having a Cavalier, which is a Chevy and a different type and class of car and the "new" GTO which is supposed to be a world class car, look so similar is a feather in GM's cap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The performance and driveability entered into the equation from your link. The performance of several GM cars on the road in the late '60s early '70s was very similar. The new GTO is considerably more unique to the GM stable of today than any GTO of any era ever produced for the reasons of affordability, driveability, fuel economy and performance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What link? My bio? Thats rich. Make something up and throw it out there sounding all confident that it means something. Yeas the performance of several GM cars on the road in the late 60's and 70's was very similar. Thats news. That hardly affects the similarity between todays Cavalier and the "new" GTO. And yes the "new" GTO is unique in GM's stable. But it looks like a Cavalier and that was the point of my original post, before you had some sort of flashback and ended up comparing my car to an 04.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Look at the WHOLE picture David, don't just say stuff like "it looks like a Cavalier" when it looks no more like a Cavalier than your GTO looked like a '70 Monaro. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If my car looks like a 70 Monaro, I wouldn't know. Really don't care. Never seen one in the U.S. May be one here, but I've never seen it. I think the 04 looks like a Cavalier, so see, I can say that. The "whole picture" according to Rabon is fairly blurry and subject to some weird interpretations.