Old 07-28-2005, 08:35 AM

I just purchased a 1979 T/A 403 K and I am slowly starting the restoration process.

Background: I am new to automobile engines, but I am a very experienced marine, small engines, everything else mech. I do have the service manual to the car, so I understand what the Emissions systems do (sort of) . I plan on keeping this baby garage kept and only taking it for a spin during the spring/fall just for fun. A/C belt is not even connected and I probably won't bother fixing it since I only want to drive this baby with the T-Tops off. You can also assume that I won't drive it much in the winter other than to keep everything lubricated and running smooth.

The car: I took off the shaker to find that the car has an Edelbrock 1406 installed with around a 1" spacer and an electric choke. Car cranks and purs like a kitten with no knocking, but I haven't driven it a long distance yet...the engine also never heats up (confirmed the gauge worked) so I assume it probably doesn't have a thermostat in it or the thermostat is stuck open. After assessing the engine it looks like several of the vacuum lines are not connected or broken so I need to get them ironed out first. I could do this easily if this was a stock carb but there are several items here that don't make sense and the EdelBrock website isn't useful either...so here goes.

Q1: Carb Bowl line to the charcoal canister is not connected and I assume that this carb is not designed for this...should I just cap this off at the canister?

Q2: The EGR valve is not even hooked up. I assume it needs to be connected and the service manual shows an EGR Control Valve connected inline, which is not with the car. Can I connect the vacuum hose directly to the EGR or do I need this valve? What do they call this valve? Without one to take to the auto parts store they have no idea as it is not listed as an EGR control Valve.

Q3: The SVB-TVS on the air filter housing is connected to a temperature sensor and then on to the cold/hot air flap at the air intake. The stock manual shows this line running to a manifold vacuum port and also to something called a "rear vacuum break" on the carb. The Edelbrock just has a pcv, manifold, and port vacuum hookup. Any idea what this is and what I need to connect it to?

Q4: How critical is the warm/cold air system? Would I have a performance difference if I remove the SVB-TVS and disable the TACS? Not that I have much knowledge on car intakes....but that looks like an awefully small intake hole for air, especially with the flap and other garbage in there...any performance difference if I just gutted all of that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

JT