Old 06-02-2000, 09:25 AM

I have a stock 67 GTO that I've owned for 19 years. It still has the ORIGINAL Harrison 4 core radiator installed. It was rodded out and resoldered years ago, but it developed a leak at the seam in the top tank that I've never been able to seal under pressure. I've been running it depressurized for several years. The car has always run a little hot - 195, 200, 205 degrees with a 180 thermostat.

I've decided to order a Desert Cooler radiator and I'm going to thoroughly flush the system, replace all the hoses, etc., fill with Dexcool, and go with another 180 thermostat.

Has anyone installed the Desert Cooler radiator? Were you satisfied with the results? What do you think about a 180 thermostat? I don't want to go hotter, thought about possibly going a little cooler.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------
"Whoever said you can't fool all of the people all of the time was a damned fool". Vincent K. McMahon

Old 06-02-2000, 09:25 AM

I have a stock 67 GTO that I've owned for 19 years. It still has the ORIGINAL Harrison 4 core radiator installed. It was rodded out and resoldered years ago, but it developed a leak at the seam in the top tank that I've never been able to seal under pressure. I've been running it depressurized for several years. The car has always run a little hot - 195, 200, 205 degrees with a 180 thermostat.

I've decided to order a Desert Cooler radiator and I'm going to thoroughly flush the system, replace all the hoses, etc., fill with Dexcool, and go with another 180 thermostat.

Has anyone installed the Desert Cooler radiator? Were you satisfied with the results? What do you think about a 180 thermostat? I don't want to go hotter, thought about possibly going a little cooler.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------
"Whoever said you can't fool all of the people all of the time was a damned fool". Vincent K. McMahon

Old 06-02-2000, 12:11 PM
Administrator

We have been selling these radiators for 11 years. With the exception of 1 or 2 quality control problems per year, feedback has been excellent. One thing that is a drawback for the concours restorer is the lack of the "Harrison" stamp on the tank and the side brackets are different. This is actually an improvement in strength, but if looks are critical...? my .02

BTW... your car running up to 205 degrees is not that bad. Some minor things that could bring it down a few degrees is timing, fan shroud, 7 blade fan, shroud, a/c seal kit. If you don't use your heater and your not in a cold climate, you might as well install a 160 degree t-stat.

Old 06-02-2000, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run this radiator on my 67 Goat with great results. I run a 160 t-stat and a fan shroud. You would be surprised to see the differnce the shroud makes.

Regardless of climate, keep running things through your heater core. The extra volume of water always helps. Also, make sure you vent your t-stat. You can also try running Red Line's WaterWetter.

------------------
Dave "Big Injun" Anderson
www.PontiacDragDays.com
www.PontiacEnthusiast.com

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 06-09-2000, 10:29 AM

I've seen a lot of posts about the fan shroud. My GTO (A/C equipped car) has a fan shroud; I assume the stock shroud should be satisfactory, since I understand that some GTOs didn't have them. What does an A/C seal kit have to do with operating temp?

Big Injun, what do you mean by "venting" the thermostat?

Thanks in Advance.
Longs

------------------

Old 06-09-2000, 11:24 PM
Administrator

A/C seals were installed at the factory to channel all available air into the radiator. The more volume that passes thru that rad. at even 100 degrees temps, the cooler the motor will be.

Old 07-11-2000, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using a Desert Cooler radiator in my 65 LeMans low eleven second bracket car. I am using a late model front cover and pulley set up and a GM seven blade fan, thermal clutch, 160 degree thermostat and shroud. The car cools great even in 100+ Phoenix summers. My engine has never gone over 190 degrees at any time even running back to back runs at the drags in the Summer or in traffic. The only thing I don't like about it is the top bracket that holds the radiator in place does not fit very well. I have considered putting a Harrison tank on top of the Desert Cooler but am not sure if it would fit.

Tim Corcoran

Old 07-11-2000, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree the 160 degree thermostat is the trick. I also live in the desert and have an original 4 core Harrison radiator and use a Flex-A-Lite plastic fan without a shroud and my car runs at 190 degrees in the summer.

Old 07-11-2000, 04:17 PM

the only problem that i've seen with the desert cooler radiators is they tend to plug the fins[external] faster than the stock units. this is due to the design that allows them to cool more. they have more fins per inch than a stock or most aftermarket units. this allows for more heat transfer. in dirty enviroments it also catches more dirt. outside of this they have been an excellent product in my experience. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-05-2000, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I have had a Desert Cooler in my 67 GTO (with A/C) for about three years. It has performed well and did drop temps from where they were with the original Harrison 4-row. I have heard about quality problems with these radiators though. Rodney Red is pricing out a "drop in" aluminum down-flow radiator for me. I know Griffin can make one custom-fit for me but they want $550 also.