Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best Fuel Siphon Tool

The Giant Eagle Grocery Stores(at least in my area) offer a discount of 20 cents per gallon with each $50 purchase. They allow you to buy up to 30 gallons so I usually end up getting about 15 gallons in the car and about 15 gallons in 5 gallon cans.

I would like to get a good siphon tool to avoid having to pour out of the cans into the car etc.

I have a couple cheap siphon tools, but none seem to work very well. Any suggestions on which siphon tools work best and where to buy one?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to have a setup that was a small diameter red rubber hose with the red siphon pump bulb in the middle. It was about 6 to 8 feet long. I used to see them at Ames when they were still around. This was one of the best siphons I'd ever used. The only trouble was the rubber dried out and cracked after about a year and you had to get a new one.

Try looking in WalMart, NAPA or the other parts stores.

The worst I had was the clear hose siphons from Harbor Freight. Stay away from them.... they be crap.

Best tho is to use a funnel and pour the gas from the cans. I found a metal funnel with a strainer in the funnel base that works great. The hose part coming from the funnel is about 18"s long and is bendable. Works great for the car's filler neck behind the license plate in the bumper. Just make sure you have help to hold it while you pour.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I may have found one that works well. I stopped at Harbor Freight yesterday and got one that I think they called a "copper jiggler". Has a 6 foot hose, about 3/4" in diameter and on the one end there is a copper end with a ball in it. Put the copper end it in the gas can and "jiggle" it up and down to start the fuel flow. I tried it last evening and it seemed to work very well. I was surprised at how few jiggles it took to get the fuel started flowing and it flowed fast. I think the instructions said 5 gallons per minutes and it seemed like it was that fast.

Now that I have an effective siphon tool, I much prefer siphoning over pouring. Much less likely to spill and with the "copper jiggler" I think I can do it faster.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I also have one of those "copper jigglers". Best siphon tool I've ever used.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47334

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahhhh, I've seen those "copper jigglers" at Harbor Freight but didn't know how good they were. No one there I asked had one or knew if they were any good or not. looks like it's a worthy 5.00 investment.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a section of rubber hose and cut a slit in it big enough to fit a air nozzle, then blow towards the container you want to fill.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We used a high end version of "The jiggler" in Alaska to fill Super Cub planes when hunting out on the Tundra, we would take gas from one plane to add to another, leaving just enough in the donor plane to get back to Iliamna to fuel up and we would go flying all over in the other. It worked very well for us.

Tim john---

Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

KC Circutguy, thats the one I was referring to, but it cost more (I forget if it was 5.99 or 6.99) in the store. Still well worth it.