67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default "H" code information

or dis-information as the case might be. for the record it is actually considered the b code on the cowl plate. please see link or go to camaro.org for more information, maybe Kurt will chime in here..........

I didn't realize the h-code was such a mystery to us firebird guys. kurt is probably better suited to explain this then I am, however I will try and screw it up for him to fix later h-code is a term used for the code that would be under the aee e code. h simply stands for its positioning in relation to other codes on the tag. (going from crusty old memory but i believe that the it rereads left to right starting with tr code. It means something on the early built cars like 67 and 68 where those numbers and letters relate to specific options like power seat or fold down rear seat etc. in 69 it is simply a mystery number used by the van nuys assembly line that no one really has any answer too. But it is believed to be a body scheduling sequence/date code. like I said kurt a crg.org has a waaaaaaaay better handle on it then I do. I learned all this researching a 69 rs/ss 396 4 speed car that had a b139 code or something to that affect.

Kurt hope you dont get mad but i am pirating some info from your site here, link will be posted below to give you and your guys the well deserved credit they deserve!

Field b (LOS vs NOR)
LOS - Fisher Body body scheduling code
The LOS (Los Angeles/Van Nuys) body scheduling code is a letter followed by one to three digits, e.g., F103. Based on data analysis only (there is no GM documentation yet available that describes this code) - but with consistent application to thousands of datapoints - CRG believes the code was used by LOS Fisher Body (and other plants that built multiple carlines) to aid in scheduling the body build order.

The letter indicates the approximate production day of the month for the start of the assembly of each vehicle body. It began with letter "A" on the first day of the month of the Fisher production calendar, incremented at the start of each additional production day to the next alphabetic letter, and was reset to letter "A" at the start of the next production month. (Note that the Fisher production calendar is known to differ slightly from the calendar month, and we also do not yet know exactly how the Fisher production calendar related to the Chevrolet monthly production reporting calendar.)

The one-to-three digit sequence number that follows the letter was reset to 1 at the start of each production day and was incremented serially with each body built by the factory as the day progressed. Data analysis indicates that the sequence number at the LOS plant was assigned regardless of model or body type. By this we mean that Camaros and full-size passenger cars both incremented the same sequence counter. The unit counter was reset to 1 the next day as the day-of-the-month code letter incremented to the next letter. In the example, F103 would indicate the sixth day of production for a given month and the 103rd body started on that sixth day of production.

found at:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#XnnCodes

located under cowl tag decode.

I hope this helps the "h" code (actually its b code but at this point does it matter?) questions any might have.