Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default nice....thanks again

Thanks for the links and the heads up.I'll have to study up on this required shaft change you speak of.This is very helpful as i've had this car waiting in the shawdows for 7+yrs now as i finally have a garage i've built to do a frame off and mod.It's finding sources like this that i hope will help me reduce/overcome proibs as i do the build which is getting closer every day,well the start day anyway....

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question ut-o....nowwhat

Interesting change from what i read.....dosen'tseem too difficult to modify if i read correctly....or in my case,if i COMPREHEND correctly,LOL.I was curious though about if i was to experience anything like this during a box switch,would it be a good option to adapt a flex/u-joint like seen on many rod applications. I'm thinking the rag joint helps retain a stock look and maybe absorbs a lil shock,otherwise i could not be sure of any disavantage if i was to try and use a flex/u-joint setup.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Flaming River joint on my Scout in place of the OEM rag joint. Steering response is of course excellent. Noise through the joint from the gear box sent into the cab, resonating the steering wheel that is sent through the joint, can be horrible. For my big nasty truck, a few more rattles and buzzing is not a problem, though if my GTO made the racket I get from the joint I'd be mighty unhappy.

Supposedly the rubber in the rag joint is also a safety feature in old cars, designed to tear as your sternum impacts the steering wheel in a collision. This seems a bit far fetched, though I've read it a few times online...

Lastly, at least on my '66, the metal coupler is pressed onto my steering column rod where it meets the rag joint, and I'm not sure it could a) be easily removed, or b) that it would accept a joint on its (I assume) threads, as I see no threads protruding from the joint and wonder if it's just a compression fit or staked in place??? Your cars may be different, of course. Just some thoughts...

Old 05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Appreciate....

Thanks for the input Socrates. I felt using the u-joint may be somewhat of a disavantage and it's nice to recieve info from someone who has experienced so as to make a comparision. However i have been fortunate to review the following link
--> http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html which was supplied by Bill and it's very informative. It explained all items needed to make a good switch to a 12/1 ratio and gives a good breakdown of diff column types and how to adapt to them.What i've read fits what i've seen as i have a diff column in my 65 than the type i've got that i pulled from a 66 GTO. The 65 has a totally removable rag joint and the 66 has a fixed flange. The article gives good detail how to mod each for a steer upgrade.While i may actually use a rag joint after obtaining this info,i;ll be extremely cautious which joint i'll choose after what happen to me when i would drive the car B4 parking it. I had noticed a lot of "slop"in the steering and gave most the credit to the steering box. What i found was the RAG JOINT was tearing! Would've not been long B4 it would've tore apart! Whew....missed a bullet that time!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default F#C*i%g UPS

The UPS guy arrived today with the heavely padded envelope from Lee Mfg.Co that was supposed to have my inserts for my power steering box. Envelope was ripped in the center and taped over, checked inside and it was empty, gave it back to the UPS driver.
Called Lee Mfg and told them what happened, another set is on the way. Guess I'll have to wait a few more days to complete this swap.

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exclamation Caution...it's UPS at the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
The UPS guy arrived today with the heavely padded envelope from Lee Mfg.Co that was supposed to have my inserts for my power steering box. Envelope was ripped in the center and taped over, checked inside and it was empty, gave it back to the UPS driver.
Called Lee Mfg and told them what happened, another set is on the way. Guess I'll have to wait a few more days to complete this swap.
Wow...thats the second time i've heard about very similiar circumstances. Another forum i am part of ( motorcycle type) had one of the members share his experience about a set of tire warmers he had bought from another rider.When the package arrived,he said only one of the warmers was in the package and a blue blouse! Someone had replaced the warmer and sealed things back up and sent it on....the weight was checked against the original to show there had been a switch in items. Sounds as though they're living up to their usual high standards..

Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Special steering tool, 74 cents!

While waiting for my parts from Lee Mfg. to be delivered today I decided to install new pitman shaft seals in my jeep box before putting it in the car. I couldn't find the correct tool to tap the seals in place so I purchased two 1" Sch. 40 pvc couplings and used those.
They have just the correct inside and outside diameters and worked great.
Hope UPS doesn't show up with another empty envelope today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spec.tool 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	168489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spec. tool 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	168490  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .

Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You gotta wonder how a postman was able to determine what they were for... maybe someone on the board?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default nice tool......uh,i mean....cheap tool!

Good tip Bill.....i'll have to copy that idea and put it in my Tips/Tools& Ideas folder!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Love my Jeep PS BOX

Got the inserts from Lee Mfg. yesterday,put the jeep box in my GTO today and love it, great road feel, kind of firm and best of all I can make complete left and right hand turns and U turns. That Piece of SH*T cardone box is stashed in the corner to use as a core or a boat anchor.
Picture of the inserts below.

I will admit I did screw up when I first attached the pitman arm, I had a mark on the input shaft and pitman shaft were I thought center was, I should of used 2 marks. On the first test run car would turn to far left and very little to the right. Pulled it back to the driveway and discovered while installing the box I turned it one turn out of whack. Put it back together, one happy GTO driver here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pressure insert.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	168572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee inserts.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	168573  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .

Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Nice..

Thanks for sharing Bill.Seeing what you've done helps me as i dwell over what i'll be able to do with my 65project when the time comes(hopefully getting closer all the time).One of my hugh concerns will be getting the steering correctly centered.This being unchartered territory has me trying to learn as much as i can to reduced problems when i do get around to working on it.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a manual steering option on these jeeps as well?

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Don't think it will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Is there a manual steering option on these jeeps as well?
The only jeep vehicles I could find with a manual gear from the 90's is the wrangler and there is no way that would work.
I'm sure there are some quick ratio manual boxes out there for sale by vendors, who knows??

Pic is of a manual jeep box for Wrangler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wrangler.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	168706  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .

Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

man that looks alot like a 69 bird manual box to me

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM

What do you guys use or recommend for a power steering pitman arm in a 1964 to 1967 GTO when converting from manual steering and using the Jeep GC power steering gear box?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys!!! My dad's 67 I'm building has a leak in the box and the pump whines and boils over. I'm gonna do the jeep box and a new pump. How much is knowledge worth? Thanks Again!

-and wheels.
-2006 gto front and rear seats

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
-owned since high school, it's been sleeping for over 15 years!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent 49 bucks on a 97' JGC box, 15 bucks on fittings from Leff MFG, 22 bucks for a rag joint from autozone and I bought a PS pitman arm from Bob Vidan on here for 45 bucks and i was in business. El-Cheapo 12:1 Power steering. Its a great, inexpensive, bolt in upgrade. I have a thread on this too I think.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just thought I would add some references that I have saved over the last year of trying to understand the gear box swap.

http://oldsjunction.classicoldsmobil...r.htm#Steering
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html
http://lee-powersteering.com/index.htm
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=5
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...ap-w-pics.html

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the links guys!

-and wheels.
-2006 gto front and rear seats

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
-owned since high school, it's been sleeping for over 15 years!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM

69 Firebird, want to do the same, have the box, have the inserts but number is rag joint from AZ. Thanks Mark