Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Aluminum downpipe

I've seen Aluminum downpipes being used on some race only turbo cars. That seems a little scary for me but the weight advantage make me think I should try it. Since mine wont go through a full exhaust system do you think it would be ok?

My concern is how it grows with the heat and if it would turn brittle over time.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm interested in the answer to this too, I already intend on using fabbed ali sidepipe silencers as I,m pretty sure they would be far enough away from the real heat,but would be good if I could also use ali turbine downpipes.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Me 2.. 5" aluminum downpipe would be nice..... I see more and more cars with aluminum downpipes and no stories of failures. My stainless exhaust weights a ton. Travis are you there?

Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm here! Been out of town...

Aluminum downpipes are a definite plus in any turbocharged application. The key to making them work is how they are supported; be careful to use a saddle and t-bolt clamp arrangement where possible, instead of a tab welded to the tube. There's quite a bit of force on the downpipes, and a tab will get broken right off just from the exhaust pressure. If you absolutely have no other choice, then make a patch out of .090" aluminum and weld it to the downpipe first, then weld the tab to the patch. The patch needs to be large, something like 2" or 3" square.

The saddle arrangement is nothing more than a pice of steel tubing the same diameter as the downpipe, cut in half so that you have a 1 or 2 " long "c" shaped section of tubing. The saddle is then welded to the frame or to a stout support off a framerail, like a piece of 3/4" or 7/8"" moly tubing, and positioned so that the downpipe fits snugly into the section of steel tube. Then a t-bolt clamp goes around the whole works.

I might find some pictures, if they would help.

TQ

Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here ya go, perfect example.

http://www.jensensenginetech.com/images/camaro_7.jpg

TQ

Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks like there's a short length of steel pipe attached to the turbine housing first and then the ali pipe is joined to that,yeah? Or are ali v band connectors available?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Aluminum V-bands are available for the discharge side of nearly any turbo configuration.

TQ

Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
It looks like there's a short length of steel pipe attached to the turbine housing first and then the ali pipe is joined to that,yeah? Or are ali v band connectors available?
Thats what I was planning on doing.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Q View Post
Aluminum V-bands are available for the discharge side of nearly any turbo configuration.

TQ
Travis, is that option for the turbo's I'm getting? When you get caught back up from being gone, send me a email. Thanks

Jeff