Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default Boost Additive formulas-pump gas motors

In the last two summers my pump gas motor has been showing signs of needing more octane. highest i have around here is 93 sunoco. The last two summers it hasnt worked well, having high rpm pinging. Doing some research on octane boosters i have found NOS racing formula to be best at the cost of 12-13 per bottle. thats pretty expensive. does anyone have boost additive mix homemade formula they use? i have found a few that can be made up, the basic one im going to try is one with toylene,mineral spirits and trans-fluid in it. this formula is suppose to raise at least two full points. Looking for any imputs on this recipie and subject. good or bad, any chemists in here? based on what i purchased i can make this booster for 1.50 a bottle. i think i can afford this if it works.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I market my own toluene based octane booster which when added to pump fuel makes a race quality fuel. I've used this for over 10 years in my high compression and forced induction engines.Toluene is the best additive to boost octane.
Forget the mineral spirits and trans fluid,they offer no benefits over plain toluene. 10% toluene added to 95 octane pump gas will make a C12 quality fuel.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

so 93 octane with 10% added would become what based on your usage?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Suspended

dlw

Do a search for "toluene" in the main search on here. There are quite a few posts and a lot of info. Not to say you can't ask here, but you'll probably get a lot more info just with that search.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Suspended

i though the toluene was hard to come by and could be dangerous. looks i need to do some research of my own.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Senior Chief

i bought mine at a local sherwin williams paint store, also some home depots carry it

Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is getting more difficult (and expensive) to get hold of over here,I have a hazardous chemical licence and buy it by the 45 gallon drum. Small quantities are no problem but the terrorists can use it to make explosives (toluene is one ingredient of TNT) so there has been a crackdown on buying large amounts.
Brad, it can be dangerous, mix it in the open air and don't get it on your skin on a regular basis. There is already a fair percentage of toluene in ordinary pump fuel,and a fair bit more in race fuel!
ps, another good octane booster is acetone but it has a tendency to melt hard plastics,toluene doesn't. Ther would be nothing stopping you injecting acetone directly down the carb throat though.

Last edited by taff2; 02-03-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I would just mix a leaded race gas. Especially using any power adders and trying to keep the same octane and manufacture additives in check. Ya tune one way and get your formula off a little and wham, hurt parts.

But 4 gallons at a time with say plus 1 gallon of 110 each time keeps ya pretty close 99% of the time. And PERFORMANCE engines love lead.