Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Did I Just score a decent engine block for a boost build?

Well....this is uncharted waters for me, but I've been scoping out some of the threads here and paying more attention to some of the guys doing turbo builds, and it's impressive to see the results guys are getting.

So, lately I've been kicking around the idea of a turbo engine build.

Cruised by a local boneyard and found a 90,000 mile 2-bbl. 400 engine out of a '67 Catalina....

Not certain it is a good core, but it was a running engine, there's oil still in it, it was inside, and the crank easily turns...so I bought it........

Seems like this might be a decent block for a foundation for a turbo build?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

Same block I'm using. Same block Marty and lot of others used, from what i hear
not drilled for 4-bolt caps, so easy to add in some splayed caps if you like

I think they made two different '67 blocks
An early and a later one (based on where the casting number is located). But i don't know of any difference between them

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good block to start with. Block casting should be 9786133 for all 67 400's. Some are 2 bolt others are 4 bolt. If 2 barrel its likely a 2 bolt. One of the better standard 400 castings. Not quite as beefy as a 59 389(532000) RAV 400(545887) or SD455(490132) but definately better than most std production 400 blocks. The 481988 and xx481988 71 up castings are usually decent blocks as well. My 73 481988 casting I had in my old 68 Firebird was a 2 bolt .

http://www.wallaceracing.com/enginesearch4.htm

Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up 400 Engine Build..

The 67' 400 block is a good one,IMO I would just put good ARP Studs in the mains,and a set of what ever H beam rods,with "ARP BOLTS" don't use the bolts in some or the aftermarket rods,they will give under ANY boosted engine.Put the ARP's in them and your set.Blueprint your oiling system,and Race Bearings.Your on your way to a stout bottom end.(many other things will need to be engineered as likeFill the block to the Freeze plugs,C/R for how ever high you are boosting it),Ring lands Placement on the Pistons(as light as piston as possible,etc.)It will be fine.IMO.Take it for what its worth just my experience.
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Lamnas View Post
Well....this is uncharted waters for me, but I've been scoping out some of the threads here and paying more attention to some of the guys doing turbo builds, and it's impressive to see the results guys are getting.

So, lately I've been kicking around the idea of a turbo engine build.

Cruised by a local boneyard and found a 90,000 mile 2-bbl. 400 engine out of a '67 Catalina....

Not certain it is a good core, but it was a running engine, there's oil still in it, it was inside, and the crank easily turns...so I bought it........

Seems like this might be a decent block for a foundation for a turbo build?

Last edited by jts ocd-stang; 02-12-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: text added
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

What he was referring to was upgrading the ARP bolts most aftermarket rods have to the 2000 or L19 series.