THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pneumonia

On June 4th I flew out to Las Vegas for a trade show. I got back home on Friday, the 9th. That next Tuesday (13th) I drove over to Atlanta and back and noticed I had a slight sore throat. For me that normally signals a "cold". It kicked in over the next couple of days and I felt like hell over the weekend. I made it to the office for a short period on Monday and finally Tuesday (20th) I went to the local doc in the box to see about it. After an exam and a chest xray the doc said I had pneumonia. "Walking pneumonia" I asked, kinda surprised? No, pneumonia. He looked at me and said, "people die from what I'm seeing".

Oh.

I got a couple of shots, a breathing treatment and a antibiotic prescription, along with a steroid pac, and inhaler and some cough medicine. I've basically sat on my butt at home since then, with one 2 hour trip here to the office last Friday to write some bills and payroll. Heck, I missed my mom's 82nd birthday lunch yesterday. I'm finished with the steroids and have a couple of days left on the antibiotics....and I'm not sure I feel any better. If I sit still, I get to where I feel pretty good. Move some? Legs get heavy and I get a slight sweat. Fever? I've felt a couple of times where I thought I might have had a slight fever but only managed to take my temp and find one twice yesterday. Low grade. Just over 99. I woke this morning, feeling pretty good. When I got to the office, I felt like I'd jogged over here.

MY doctor is getting a call when they open......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had it twice while in my 40's, 1998 and 2003. Both times I was border line for a hospital stay. Like within hours if my blood pressure had not stabilized.
I was in good health and normal weight range, but both times it took me months before I felt back in what I considered my normal health.
Fatigue was the biggest hurdle for me. Stay hydrated and rest as much as you can early on. The office will be there if you stay home or end up in the hospital.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

Have put you on the prayer list for return to health. Take care, and follow the good advice already offered by 400....

Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing to fool with. I caught it back in the Army and was on my back for two weeks...it hurt to do anything. After two weeks went for a short walk, didn't know if i would make it back to the hospital.

People do die from it. Elderly folks who end up in the hospital for some illness may usually die form pneumonia.

Do the anti biotics and breathing treatments.

George

Old 06-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Senior Chief

I caught it in the Marines . You'll be 6 months getting your stamina back . Take it easy .

Old 06-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dr's appt tomorrow at 2. My Dr.

Can't wait.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful David, do what they tell you.

I've had it twice myself and they'll tell you once you've had it it gets easier to acquire again each time.

Do what they tell you and get plenty of fluids.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 06-26-2017, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

Don't want to scare you but my wife of 36 years went through the same ordeal shots antibiotics, steroids and inhalers, finally dr took xrays they found small cell lung cancer, she lasted 2 more weeks on a side note most doctors don't have the psa test done if your on ssi ,government deal
My recommendation is for the 35 dollar cost have it done yearly at your physical .
Hope all turns out well.
Gregg

Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With my second bout I relented and went to the doctor after a few days of misery. I wasn't in the waiting room long before I was sleeping in the chair. When I awoke I was nauseated and told a lady seated across from me to get a nurse. I'm going to pass out. __________________________ I did.
Next thing I knew I had bags overhead pumping fluids into my arms. After three bags they started me on breathing treatments to get my oxygen numbers up. 6 hours after I arrived I had improved enough that they sent me home instead of the E.R. Not many doctors will treat you for 6 hours straight in the office.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't mess around with this. Big bossman at my job was exactly like you: flew up to Chicago for a conference, started with a minor cough, started feeling a little tired on the way back, was scheduled to travel again and couldn't do it. Ended up almost dying, lost almost 40lbs in the hospital, probably out of work for 3 months before he could come back part time. Had a major asthma problem that he was afraid might have been permanent (it's a side effect). This guy is in perfect health, doesn't smoke, exercises a lot and is in great shape other than being 51 or so.

Seriously, it's nothing to fool with. It can knock the wind out of your sails badly and kill you quicker than think...

Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I loath and avoid "jumbo jet" flights because of the bad air up there & 1 bad passenger health spoils the whole passenger list.

Heathful herbs may be the "preventive nutrition" and the helpful remedy. Usually these herbs are mixed into a tea; Sage, black cohosh, wild cherry.

Drink water. Maybe cold water.

Keep you bedroom at 75 and well ventillated.

No alcohol until you are all better.
Avoid cakes, pastries, pies, white bread, peeled potatoes, fries.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I'd possibly ask you Dr. To put you in hospital. Yes, the environment of sick folks is not good, but you could get IV antibiotics, and other better treatment you can't get at home AND possibly get better faster!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn David!

Good luck at the doctor's office this afternoon, make sure you ask all the right questions and follow his advice!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW - I'm the luckiest guy in the world to have had pneumonia. In 2006 I called the ambulance to haul my ass in because it hurt so bad to breathe. Turns out I had a partially collapsed lung and pneumonia. After a 10 day hospital stay (including lung surgery) I went in for my 30 day checkup and they discovered I had cancer in my right kidney.

Why do I say I'm lucky? They caught it early...

David - follow the doctor's orders and get healthy soon.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

What did the doc say, David?

You get another chest film?

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post
Don't want to scare you but my wife of 36 years went through the same ordeal shots antibiotics, steroids and inhalers, finally dr took xrays they found small cell lung cancer, she lasted 2 more weeks on a side note most doctors don't have the psa test done if your on ssi ,government deal
My recommendation is for the 35 dollar cost have it done yearly at your physical .
Hope all turns out well.
Gregg
Good news on the psa test the people pushed back and is now included with physical exam

Old 06-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tuned View Post
Be careful David, do what they tell you.

I've had it twice myself and they'll tell you once you've had it it gets easier to acquire again each time.

Do what they tell you and get plenty of fluids.

Hope you feel better soon!
Seems like everyone I know that's had it, had it at least twice. My brother, my wife and a few other folks.
Get better David!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 1980's, when I was an auto mechanic, we all pretty much came to work no matter how bad we felt. I guess I got used to working through anything. I later went to work for a State agency and was working in an office much of the time. I had what I thought was a cold, but I kept going to work. One day my supervisor called me into the office and explained that the ladies in the office had complained that I was coming to work sick. He told me to go home and get well. I was shocked, and I asked him directly, "Are you throwing me out of the office?" He said yes, and sent me home. While driving home I thought that maybe I really was sick, so I stopped by my doctors office. It was cold and flu season so I admit I felt kind of stupid being there, but it turns out I had pneumonia in both lungs. I was pretty sick for three weeks and really didn't feel well for six months. Pneumonia is nothing to take lightly, and I was told that once you get it you're more susceptible to get it again.

Take care of yourself, and get well soon.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just back from my doc. She agreed with the pneumonia diagnoses and said she felt like the doc in the box didn't shoot high enough with his antibiotics. She asked me how I felt about going into the hospital and I told her I'd do what she felt was needed. After a bit more discussion she said based on my oxygen (forget the number, but ok) and temp being ok she decided just to call me in what she called a "super antibiotic" and see if that wouldn't do the trick and keep me out of the hospital. No work the rest of the week and stay WELL hydrated. She noted that getting over pneumonia was a long term process.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I've been learning too much about bodily hydration. Being a kidney stone survivor, also...NO LOL on that deal...

I'm learning that it doesn't really matter how thirsty I am, I have to force myself to drink more water than my body tells me I need.
My medical insurance company does a "wellness" check for it's members, once a year. They used to PAY us $200.00 to do it...not any more. I still have it done, even with all the other Dr stuff I have to do.
The checkup said I was somewhat under hyrdrated, needed improvement...Hmmm.
Had checkup scheduled with Urologist one month later. Kidney stones galore...whatever, as long as they don't move.

I've been trying to drink about an extra gallon of water per day. I can tell a difference. I actually feel better (was not feeling bad before...). See how the next Urologist X-Ray turns out...

My thoughts to everyone, drink more water!!! Some folks with water retention problems may not be able to do such. It's worth asking your doctor about!!!

Don't hesitate to head for emergency room, if there's any doubt about how you are feeling!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...