THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Big Green Egg

Anyone have one? What are the pluses and downsides? My wife saw one yesterday( and the 15lb ham baked inside it) and now she wants one. I know they're heavy and burn charcoal, but other than that I'm in the dark.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned one in the past and my son has one now.Great unit,can smoke,BBQ.Tom

Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
...and downsides?
Other than price...

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Green Egg is an awesome way to cook if you have the time. I don't own one myself, but I have enjoyed meals that were prepared on an egg. Smoked pork roast, pork chops and pizza are some of my favorites. If you are thinking about a purchase, you may want to look at a Kamado Joe before you buy. They are less expensive and similar in design. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Temp control will be the tricky part. I've known people that swear they can do it all manually, but I'd be looking into on of the fancy control units. They can really do it all in one package, but I've got a smoker in addition to my grill to make sure I can do each.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was reco'd to me, but online prices looked to rich.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go for this one..... REC TEC Mini Portable Wood Pellet Grill (RT-300).
http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-...-grill-rt-300/

Less expensive than the green Egg. I've seen pellet grills that cost more. The RT-300 looks like a great all around bargain.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
Temp control will be the tricky part. I've known people that swear they can do it all manually, but I'd be looking into on of the fancy control units. They can really do it all in one package, but I've got a smoker in addition to my grill to make sure I can do each.
Brad, tell me more. I'm looking at building a back yard smoker (going to start curing my own hams). I know the 'Eggs can see heat levels in excess of 700 degrees F.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I'd go for this one..... REC TEC Mini Portable Wood Pellet Grill (RT-300).
http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-...-grill-rt-300/

Less expensive than the green Egg. I've seen pellet grills that cost more. The RT-300 looks like a great all around bargain.
Gary, that's what I want but Mama is paying for it so we'll end up with an Egg.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

You can turn a Weber Grill into a pretty decent smoker. $150 for the one with the ash catcher.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Also look into the Kamado Joe's. Pretty much the same as the Egg but cheaper. Those are big around here and I believe Lowe's carries them.

Here's an example of the controller I've heard good things about. https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?Cat...1&ProductId=22

Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
You can turn a Weber Grill into a pretty decent smoker. $150 for the one with the ash catcher.
Boom, correct answer. I have smoked butts, picnics, brisket, fish, Jalopena poppers, chicken, turkey, and many other items. My Weber was the 99 dollar one without the ash catcher. My friend that has won competitions with a 10K smoker says that my stuff is as good as his. The next Weber I buy is going to be the 349 dollar one that is the biggest original style kettle grill. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/o...arcoal-grill-1

I love my weber, no way I would buy a big green egg. Another friend has the egg, yea he can cook a decent pizza in it, that is not what I grill.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, I appreciate the info but when curing country style hams you utilize the "cold"(less than 105 degrees F) process. I used to own Weber, but I don't believe you can keep one as cool as I need it to be. To produce "cold" smoke for a smoke house, yes.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

I think you will find allot of good info. On the site below.. Don't let the name of the site scare you away, it is not what it appears...
. The only regrets I have with my Big Green Egg is not getting a larger one, plan to correct that!!! The other is a temp maintainer of some type although I have found that unless windy, maintaining a good smoking temp over a long smoke is no problem at all even if cold out ( it gets cold in Vermont ). A Weber will not hold in the heat when it's near or below 0 out like an Egg will... This is where any of the ceramics excel, holding heat in!! I do a large double smoke Ham for the family on Christmas Day, this year around 20deg Outside and maintained a temp of 200deg-225deg over the 5hrs. Oh, and don't use charcoal, Royal Oak Hardwood Lump (U.S. Label) with Apple or Cherry or Hickory chips added in.. (Thank me Later)!!!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

Old 10-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
Also look into the Kamado Joe's. Pretty much the same as the Egg but cheaper. Those are big around here and I believe Lowe's carries them.

Here's an example of the controller I've heard good things about. https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?Cat...1&ProductId=22
Thanks, Brad.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
I think you will find allot of good info. On the site below.. Don't let the name of the site scare you away, it is not what it appears...
. The only regrets I have with my Big Green Egg is not getting a larger one, plan to correct that!!! The other is a temp maintainer of some type although I have found that unless windy, maintaining a good smoking temp over a long smoke is no problem at all even if cold out ( it gets cold in Vermont ). A Weber will not hold in the heat when it's near or below 0 out like an Egg will... This is where any of the ceramics excel, holding heat in!! I do a large double smoke Ham for the family on Christmas Day, this year around 20deg Outside and maintained a temp of 200deg-225deg over the 5hrs. Oh, and don't use charcoal, Royal Oak Hardwood Lump (U.S. Label) with Apple or Cherry or Hickory chips added in.. (Thank me Later)!!!!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm
GOOD info...thanks!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

The kamato Joe is nice but the warranty on the egg is life time against cracks no questions asked it's made from the same material as the space shuttle,
Mine is the large unit and will hold temp any level for 10 he plus we have fried food and cooked pizza the egg is perfect,
Fill with coal and when your done cooking shut the vents and the coal goes out , you can relight and cook again.
Never use charcoal lighter fluid.

Gregg

Old 10-04-2017, 06:03 PM

Have you looked at the Broil King smoker?
I have had one of their earlier renditions (Big Steel Keg) for about 8 years and its a great smoker/grill. I've done a few all night smokes and it is very efficient on charcoal use.
Its relatively light weight, durable ( I take it camping) and you can get a receiver hitch mount for it.
Plus it has the all important bottle opener incorporated into the handle!
https://www.bbqguys.com/broil-king/k...yABEgJpk_D_BwE

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-king-keg-5000

74 Firebird Formula 400 4speed
70 Buick GS455 4 speed
Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've owned a large one for about 5 years and use it a lot. Makes fantastic ribs, pork shoulder, rib roasts, brisket, turkey, etc.. We also use it for direct cooking for steaks, fish, chicken and so forth. If you're used to a gas grill, it will seem dirtier and more labor intensive (raking out the ashes, lugging bags of charcoal around). The manual temp control (opening and closing the upper and lower vents) takes getting used to. For long slow cooks you have to stay on top of things so the fire doesn't go out, so I save things like brisket or pork shoulder for occasions when I have time to relax and tinker with the vents every couple hours. My only regret is not buying an extra large or even double extra large.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been smoking with a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker for 12 years. At some point I got sucked into the Green Egg pandemonium. I kept it for a year or two and promptly sold it. The Weber is fool proof and allows you to add wood throughout the cook. Once you get the vents dialed in it will run at 225 to 250 for 12 hours without any fuss, and it also has a higher capacity. On the downside, it uses more fuel than the Green Egg.

If you don't have a smoker now you will be amazed by whichever one you choose. I am not sure either will cold smoke in the low 100 degree range, but that's something I have never tried. Here is a link to an independent enthusiast website dedicated to the Weber smoker.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com