Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 05-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Drove to the track on Tuesday evening. Didn't make any adjustments to the car at the track. Ran a 12.57@112 and a 12.52@112, then drove home.

Andrew

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

& you prob. got over 20+ MPG on the way home too! These LS engines rock!

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggy81 View Post
& you prob. got over 20+ MPG on the way home too! These LS engines rock!
I would guess about 20 mpg. I haven't been able to confirm because I can't fully fill my tank. Projects are never done. LOL

Andrew

Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 AM

I am very impressed with your work, pictures and descriptions Andrew! Awesome car you have there. I have been toying around with the idea of putting an LSx engine in one of my cars for a while now. Yesterday, I bought a wrecked '06 GTO with 5013 miles on it. It has an LS2 with a 6spd tranny. Now I have to decide which way to go with it - 67 GTO convertible or 70 GTO hardtop...

I have a buddy that is a chassis builder and he had a radical idea. I was wondering if it would be possible to splice the entire 06 GTO subframe onto the GTO frame and graft the frame horns from the 70 onto the 06 or fabricate some brackets so that the core support/bumper will hook up properly. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves67GTO View Post
...I was wondering if it would be possible to splice the entire 06 GTO subframe onto the GTO frame and graft the frame horns from the 70 onto the 06 or fabricate some brackets so that the core support/bumper will hook up properly. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
The Holden is a unibody car with strut front suspension - no upgrade over the '67 setup there. The rear is independent, but it's a weak diff, and the suspension itself is heavy and not at all sophisticated in it's action - not the best choice even if it's free. Many much better options for suspension (Vette, aftermarket, etc). Free advice; take it for what it's worth.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Talking

Thanks HOG455T37

I looked under the 06 today and can clearly see that it won't work. Thanks for the input! I guess it was a pretty dumb idea LOL!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

I saw a TV show just recently on the Speed channel and they cut the body off of a 04-06 GTO and welded the bottom and all the chassis to a 69 GTO and turned it into a black modified clone Judge that was low and sweet looking. In the show it had the West Coast guys doing the work, so whatever show they are on every week customizing cars is the show you can find it.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi Brian,

I have been trying to find the show you are talking about but haven't had any luck. That is an interesting idea and I would really like to see that episode. I have a '67 project car that I wouldn't mind doing major surgery on so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=601159

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave,

Sorry I haven't been around. It looks like others have jumped in and answered your question. Personally I think that it would be way too much work for too little gain to put an old GTO body on a new GTO unibody. A modern engine is an easy swap into old cars. The old suspension is simple in design, but it can be made to work just as well as the new GTO suspension, if not better.

Andrew

Old 07-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a guy in the 1961-1963 Tempest section who's in the process of marrying an '06 GTO and a '63 Lemans. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=592464

Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

Dave,
I just watched the video about 4 weeks ago and for sure it had the West Coast crew doing the work. But, these guys are right it seems like a lot of work for little payback. I would just modify the existing suspension on the goat with all the latest pieces available from the aftermarket and if that's not enough they do offer a complete modern frame and suspension kit for the GTOs and I just saw an article listing them for A & F bodys in one of the latest High Performance Pontiac magazines or was it the other Pontiac magazine??? Anyways, lots of options.
Brian

Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I bought an LS1 w/T56 six speed out of an SS Camaro that I am going to use in my 1970 GTO. I'm going to put the 06 transplant on the back burner for a while. My plan is to use the Global West front suspension and a Chris Alston 9" rear end housing w/4 link setup. I've already fabbed a set of motor mounts for the LS1 and so far so good. Looks like I will be able to use the automatic console with a custom boot for the shifter on the T56. Still working on the harness, gauges, ecm, etc... If I'm lucky, I should be able to fire it up in a few weeks! )

Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hello everyone. I really don't have a whole lot to report with this build. For now it is done. I had some changes in my life recently. All for the better. I am no longer living in KY, but in Memphis. With my move, a lack of space, and money, I had to store the car. It's currently living a quiet life in Lincoln, NE, with my friend Brian, who painted the car. If things go according to plan I hope to be driving the car around Kentucky this summer, a lot!!! Stay tuned for any developments on that.

One thing I did want to mention about my engine combination. The valve train is a little bit noisy. I have done some research and it appears that the LS7 cam has a slightly smaller base circle than the L92 cam. In retrospect, I should have gotten push rods that are a hair longer. I know several people have been doing similar a combination of parts, so I wanted to pass along my thoughts. If anyone is in the process of installing an LS7 cam, double check all the measurements and see if I am correct. The fix is simple and I plan on doing it in the spring.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard, that the GM service replacments for the later GTO's were selling for a really decent price. And, a frind of mine who knows where to look said I was right. Something about needing to change the oil pan to fit the A body cars. When I say decent price, I mean very decent. so, maybe that along with a beter intake from say the take off Vett parts you see a lot of would make a nie and affordable engine. NOt sure of the details yet, as I have couple of new GM engines I need to deal with before buying anything else. Sorry friends, I'm dead tired.... Mike

Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hello Everyone.

It has been almost a year since I last updated this thread. Once again, due to the circumstances in my life, the GTO has found itself in storage. I moved to Memphis last year to pursue a PhD in marketing. My current living situation doesn't allow for any sort of secure storage of the GTO, so it spent 2009 with my friend Brian, in Nebraska. Brian did the body work and paint on my car and if anyone is looking for a reliable body man, please PM me. Business started to pick up for Brian in the spring and as a result the car is now at an undisclosed location in Tennessee.

However, the journey from Nebraska to Tennessee was not without some adventures. About 60 miles from Kansas City the shifter handle started shaking and there was a terrible noise that was emanating from the transmission. By the sheer mercy and generosity of several people I was able to get the car to Tennessee. Upon further inspection it was determined that one of the mainshaft support bearings had failed in my Richmond 6 speed. As everyone might recall, I have battled some vibration issues in the past, and I am convinced that this caused the pre-mature failure of the bearing. The failed bearing was simply a manifestation of a problem with the driveline, not an inherent problem with the Richmond 6 speed.

I would really like to attend some events next summer, so I will be making the GTO drivable again. In the spirit of keeping my GTO up to date, I will be swapping the Richmond transmission for something else. So stay tuned for more details. I will be documenting the installation in great detail.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like the T56 has become the bruiser tranny and shifts alot better than the TKOs from what I gather.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had an opportunity to visit my car and to pull the transmission. My sincere gratitude goes to Bill Howell. He not only helped me pull the transmission, but he also built a killer crate to ship it.

Here is the Richmond 6 speed, just pulled out from under the car. I may really get used to working with a lift. Sure beats pulling a transmission on your back!

Here is Bill, hard at work, measuring twice and cutting once.

Progress....

Packed up, and ready to be shipped off to my friend, John Parsons, for a rebuild.

Stay tuned for more progress and a new transmission.

Andrew

Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Wow Andrew, you always seem to find a way to make life interesting.

I hope 2011 treats you better, and you can make a few shows this year.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Wow Andrew, you always seem to find a way to make life interesting.

I hope 2011 treats you better, and you can make a few shows this year.
Life is always very interesting for me. It's what makes it fun.

So yesterday I was playing around with the video capabilities of my new camera. Look what I captured...

Engine video

Andrew