Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Input wanted

Here's what I have planned. Looking for experienced input so I do it right the first time.

400" +.030 2 bolt with studs
4.00 stroke x 2.20 Scat forged crank
6.8" 4340 Tomahawk forged rods
BRC forged dished pistons
SD KRE 85cc D-Ports
BDS 6:71 @ 1:1 to start with
Holley 4779 750's

This motor will be going in my '63 Catalina Safari with a Richmond five speed OD and 4.10:1 posi rear. It's going to be a marginally streetable street car, not a daily grocery getter. I already have the 6:71 set up and the rear end is done. I have a nice set of IA 1 7/8 d-port headers hence the head choice. I do not have heads yet. Looking for recommendations for any changes before I procede further. Looking for clutch set up, cam, and distributor recommendations as well. I prefer the 433 inches. Run a 406 in my race car and since I want to run the 6:71, I figured I can't really feed a big motor with it. I want it to look like a '63 period hot rod. I was planning a low compression (7.5:1 or so) motor and run the blower harder to make the power.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 12-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go with much bigger headers, 2 1/8" at least. I'm running 2" on my n/a 406,and fitting these really woke it up.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Suspended

i agree, bigger headers!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cam?

Can I get some cam recommendations for this set up please? It's a street car so the headers should be fine.
Thanks,
Rob...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are others on this forum with more cam knowledge than me,but going off past experience with a 6/71 blown 400 SBC and 8/71 blown BBC, I would say a solid flat tappet cam in the region of 260I/270E @.050",lift around .600" lift ,on a 114 deg LSA. I'd go for bigger 850 double pumpers if you haven't already got the 750's, and I reckon the small headers will cost you a minimum of 50hp,street car or not.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Boost Engineer

No Comment

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default No comment???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
No Comment

Tom Vaught
To quote you from another post Tom : "What the hell is that supposed to imply?"

I'm only looking for help here. I do know that bigger headers would be advantageous. Maybe in the future I can try to stuff bigger tubes around the steering box, starter, and clutch linkage but for now that's what I have. I have no experience running a blower so I figured this would be a great place for experienced input.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Me, personally I don't like the factory block and the 2 bolt mains with the blower on top soooooooo use studs on the mains & heads, Mr. Gasket "Ultra" head gaskets for sealing up the heads (I ran these and had GREAT results with them) & just keep the boost (5-7 lbs.) & rpm's (under 5,500) down. Make sure you have a very good fuel delivery system...........400GPH pump, no. 10 line from the pump to the regulator, .150 needle & seats with fuel bowl extensions on the carbs (you DON"T want to run it lean). Sometimes more is better when it come to the fuel system with a blower. Also have a free breathing exhaust system and use a boost gauge. Other then that everything else looks OK. Oh yea, If the boost numbers rise too quickly during a run then BACK the boost down.

GTO George

Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
To quote you from another post Tom : "What the hell is that supposed to imply?"

I'm only looking for help here. I do know that bigger headers would be advantageous. Maybe in the future I can try to stuff bigger tubes around the steering box, starter, and clutch linkage but for now that's what I have. I have no experience running a blower so I figured this would be a great place for experienced input.

Thanks,
Rob
In the other topic, the poster implied that if you took your carb to Shaker you would get a half-asses job vs going to Cliff. A obvious shot.

To answer your question, there are always a lot of opinions about how to do boosted engines. GTOGEORGE runs a roots style set-up and has experience with different superchargers of that type and with KRE heads.... George posted his experience on the deal and I agree with him in theory on the Supercharger/ Fuel System/ Exhaust stuff. You wanted experienced comments using Roots stuff and KRE Heads. I have no experience with KRE heads therefore "No Comment". Where is the problem?

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Taff2 and George.

I do plan to add Program splayed caps to the block which is why I'm using a two bolt block. I do also have the 750's that were on the race car. I'm switching that to a single carb setup. I want to get some experience running a blown motor and maybe build a stronger one latter. I think I might find that I have too much gear but the rear was built with a '63 SD type N/A motor in mind before things took a different route.

Rob...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,

I didn't understand why you would bother to post if you didn't have any input. I have a great respect for your knowledge and wondered why you had nothing to add. There is no problem, thanks for clearing things up.
Rob...

Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Boost Engineer

If you wanted to ask specific questions about the 4779 carbs modded for supercharging, The Scat Forged Crank, the non drilled 400 2 bolt main block, I could have helped you out. You asked about the clutch, the distributor, and the camshaft, and there are better people like George to answer those specific questions as related to roots superchargers with KRE aluminum heads. Again why I posted No Comment.

Tom Vaught

I guess I could have posted no comment but waiting for further questions.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:38 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Rob- Don't I remember you watching my blown 400 run at an event somewhere? I routinely spun that thing to 8,200 RPM for almost two full seasons, with two-bolt mains- even Pontiac bolts. Same main bearings the whole time. I realize you'll have 1/4" more stroke, but it sure seems to me that splayed-bolt billet caps is overkill. Whatever... I'm sure you'll have fun with a blower engine on the street!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, 8200 rpm on a 2 bolt main 400, f*** me, I thought I was brave revving mine to 7 grand! Fully counterweighted crank I take it?
Rob,if you intend using pump fuel,try to get some octane booster(toluene)or race fuel for the track, as it will allow you to advance the timing for good power,we picked up 50hp going from 30deg to 32deg on a 454.