Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What sensors for an Innovate LM-1.

I've got an LM-1 with the rpm kit for use on my new blowthrough carb turbo combo,what sensors do I need to log the following measurements and where do I get them?
Air temperature sensor-to measure intake air temperature in the compressor discharge tube and the manifold.
Boost pressure sensor-to measure boost in psi.(Would I need a MAP sensor for this?)
Turbine inlet pressure sensor-to measure 'back pressure' between turbine and exhaust ports.
Fuel pressure sensor-to measure fuel pressure in psi.
The instructions say all sensor inputs to the rpm converter must have a maximum signal of 5volts, are these wired with a 12volt feed into the sensor and this is then regulated internally in the sensor to give out up to a max of 5volts?
Can one type of pressure sensor be used to measure all the pressure scenarios above? I was thinking of buying just one pressure sensor and then moving it around to measure the different readings one at a time.
Oh yeah,can I wire the rpm pulse signal needed to the rpm converter from the tach output on my MSD even though this connection is already used for the tacho? The LM-1 manual assumes you have a understanding of sensors,electronics and fuel inj, none of which I know an awful lot about. Thanks.
ps,part #'s and prices would be appreciated if you know them.

Last edited by taff2; 02-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

X2 on this.. I'm about to dive into this myself. I'd also like to know about the part # of the o2 sensor itself. Is that Innovate only sensor or what?
Let me know what you'll dig up..

Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

You're getting difficult with these measurements

Here's probably what you want, rather than buying all the instruments separately
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lma3.php
Pricey though

the actual air/fuel sensor is just a simple bosch sensor out of an 04-07 turbo VW beetle (somehwere in those years). Autozone usually has it in stock. $70 I believe?
Bosch 17014 is the part number.
I have a spare one - msg me if needed, would sell it cheaper than autozone. Buy one at autozone and you can return it whenever it gets worn out...for free...which is a nice perk

If you're going to measure boost pressure, yes..you need a map sensor (included in that lma3 box though)
They make several different kinds of map sensors. Make sure you get a 3-bar map sensor. That measures boost up to 30 lbs. get a 2-bar map sensor and you can only measure 15lb or so. 1-bar is very limited.

Fuel Pressure? I think you'll need an electronic gauge for that. I have a neat one with an electronic sending unit. You can see that under boost, the gauge spikes to 15 lb or so. I don't know about trying to graph that with an lm1. Don't think you can (easily)

I haven't messed with temperature measurements. that lma3 does it, though...with the appropriate sensor (probably not cheap)

It's easiest to just buy a map sensor ($60 for a GM one, i believe)
3-bar map sensors came from 1989 trans am turbo cars, I believe
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...roducts_id/442
Just run a vacuum line to it...and 3 wires coming out the back of it (ground, positive lead and the one that measures 0-5v.
So yea, you run 12v to the map sensor. It spits out the 0-5v.
What it does...is convert boost pressure to a scale, from 0-5v. 0= no boost, 5 = max boost. The box or software you run reads that and scales the boost according to the # volt

Erm. Make sense?

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, nice... the add-on boxes like DC-32 and the lma3 seems nice.
I have a record boost mode in my 7531 box.. it uses a 3 bar msd map sensor..... It would be nice to have all the data for each run in one program. I guess I could use a signal from my msd map sensor into the rpm converter of the Innovate unit.
Thanks on the o2 sensor info.. I'll check if I can get it local to me.

ps. taff there's a bunch of info on the tuneyourengine.com site... look up the forum and all the manuals.... it's nuts

Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

taff.. it's all in there....

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...easurement.php

Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought the LMA-3 this winter. Haven't wired it up yet, but you might need to buy an air intake sensor if you want a more accurate reading. You can use the EGT/CHT sensor but the tech at Innovate said that the reading will probably be repeatable, but not accurate. Apparently, the lower the temp is the less accurate it will be because it is designed for higher temps (EGT). He said that they are coming out with an AIT sensor this year, but could not provide an ETA. I posted up a thread on turbo mustangs about it and here were some of the responses I got.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=136610.0

I haven't had the opportunity to look into the sensors the one guy suggested, but I will...hope to have it wired up within the next week or three.

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You don't run 12 volts to any 5 volt sensors. You need a 5 volt source. I am sure the logger you are using has a 5 volt sensor supply.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Baron,thanks for the info,however,the rpm kit I have for the LM-1 already has 5 external inputs for connecting external sensors, I assumed when I bought the kit that I could buy a common IAT sensor(like you get on fuel injection systems) and various pressure sensors to wire into the auxillary rpm box.
69GTO,that's what I mean about the Innovate site instructions,I've no idea what a thermistor is,how to shift it's sensitivity or what a .dif file is,it's all gobbledegook to me and searching through all this stuff makes my eyes hurt reading it!
Badbird,I had a look at the site recommended,diyautotune. So it looks like I need a GM open element IAT sensor at $17.75 and a GM 3 bar map sensor at $64(though the info for this map sensor said it needs a 5 volt input from the ecu?) I just need to find a pressure sensor to measure the turbine inlet pressure. I wonder if I could use a 4 bar map sensor to measure tip if I used a long length of silicone hose to connect it,letting the exhaust gases cool a bit?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
You don't run 12 volts to any 5 volt sensors. You need a 5 volt source. I am sure the logger you are using has a 5 volt sensor supply.
good call. I misspoke

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wrench,I'll have a look through the LM-1 manual again,thanks. Anyone know what I can use to measure turbine inlet pressure?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I copied and pasted this from one of the links posted above. This is from the actual directions that come with system.

"If you want to power external sensors, connect a switched 12V supply (switched on when the
cars ignition system is on) to the connection marked 12V on the left side. Connect the connection
marked GND to the cars chassis ground. At the connection marked 5V you can connect external
sensors. External sensors don’t HAVE to be powered by the LMA-3. The 5V output is a
convenience for external sensors when no 5V supply is available. The 5V supply can power
sensors with a total power consumption of up to 300mA."

Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Wrench,but I don't have the LMA-3, I have the LM-1 and LM-2 auxillary RPM kit,there's no 5 volt output on these. I suppose there's nothing for it but to trawl through the Innovate site

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes.. please let me know what you'll find as I have the same exact Innovate setup as you.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a pressure sensor to measure t.i.p from the link Baron posted, (bmotorsports),trouble is it's $113. I also found a Bosch 3 bar MAP sensor with inbuilt IAT sensor for only $30,if I can just find out how to run 5 volts to these sensors I'm away.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a quick search. You can buy a regulator to bring your 12 volt supply down to 5 volts. I posted a link below. I found the part number searching the LM1 forum. A few people said they were using this piece successfully .It said you can purchase this one at Radio Shack.

http://www.electrokits.com/Datasheets/7805-Datasheet

Did some more searching. found it at Radio Shack. I only did some wuick searching. I would do some more searching to make sure it will work. But its rather expensive. $1.59

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062599

Last edited by wrench; 02-24-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wrench,that looks like just the ticket,thanks. I'll have to send my missus down the docks to earn the money to pay for it

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

agreed wrench: That's nice.