Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Default Fender bolts

The project here is moving along quite swiftly. When I bought the car the front sheet medal was fastened to the radiator support with many shims and non correct type bolts. Can someone steer me in the right direction for the correct type of bolts that fasten the fender to the top of the radiator support? The bolt kit I bought to assemble the car appears to be a blanket kit for all second gen F bodies. With the size of the holes in the fenders I am led to believe that there are bolts that have a large washer for these attaching points? A couple of pictures of these areas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8556.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	347821  

Last edited by edvisme; 12-29-2013 at 11:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to edvisme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally like to use original bolts & fasteners on ALL my cars.....the "repoop" fasteners and hardware store bolts just don't look right.....

In the past...I've bought complete cars just for original fasteners in the correct locations.

The junkyard USED to a great place for picking nuts and bolts...

You want ones that have little or no rust.obviously......clean them....then overnite soak in Evaprorust and then a shot of flat black paint and you are good to go......

Yes,the fender top to rad support bolts have a larger washer...about the size of a 25 cent piece...

I'll see if I can find some pics...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4686.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	347852  

The Following User Says Thank You to eaglesan13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed, you need to post what year, which plant (if a 70 or 71), and what build week. Several of us have pulled bolts & tagged & bagged them for future plating. When I took the front sheet metal off my 72 over twenty years ago, I wasn't that smart in storing the bolts. A few years later I stumbled on another late March built 72 & I spent an hour & a half pulling every original bolt out that yard car. Since that day, have measured, drew pics of the head markings on post it notes, then bagged bolts in Ziploc bags. After cleaning and replaying, I teabag them along with the post it notes, th hen the bags go in a plastic tub. In tearing down particulars, many of us do something similar. B

Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's another view of the bolt you need, and where else they were used. Plus some of the head markings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70 HARDWARE LABELED 003.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	347858   Click image for larger version

Name:	314 Head Markings Norwood.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	347859  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunctionalShaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the Bird is a 70 or 71 Van Nuys build, can use small bolts out of the fenders of Nova' s & Ventura II's out of same week built Van Nuys plant cars. I've compared bolts from same week same year build Birds & Camaros and Ventura's and pulled bolts from them. Intact early 2nd gen F-body's are getting darn hard to find even in the big country yards that seldom crush.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief

Thank ya, 2manyT/A. There is a yard here locally that does have a few of these cars. So far and thankfully that place has saved me a few times on this build already. Eaglesan13, those look to be what I need. Those look like they have a separate washer under them. Is that the proper configuration? 'Ol Pinion head, the car is a 1970 Norwood built Formula Firebird. FunctionableShaker, I have a lot of those type of bolts but the small head doesn't cover the fender mounting holes.

Last edited by edvisme; 12-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionalShaker View Post
Here's another view of the bolt you need, and where else they were used. Plus some of the head markings.
Circle C's, ER' s, and Lightning Bolts are common fastener head markings on Spring of 71 Fremont built A-body's. Some were used in Fbodys too.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are the correct bolt and use the separate washer as stated. The heads show are correct for a 70 Norwood build

Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default bolt washers

the washers used under those fender bolts...do we have a source for them?...what type of finish...also used under spoilers...according to my 72 assy. manual and since my car was missing the front spoiler and had a metal valence..I would like to follow the guide thanks!!

Last edited by transam1972; 12-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the washers and bolts were manganese phosphate(black phosphate) , and if memory serves me well, they are like 1.125" diameter, all the current repos are 1.25" diameter( or visa versa,not at home to measure) as far as the head markings, any of those head markings are going to be correct, as long as they are the 5/16" threaded bolts. two lengths used, the shorter ones are the '314 bolts. Your assembly manual will show you where the '314 vs the longer bolts were used.

The Following User Says Thank You to 70RAlll For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default nuts & bolts

my 72 definitely has a different style than a 70 I had...both had the circles in the head,but the 70 has what appears to be a larger built in washer(lack of term)...I have sourced some down right on, or very close replacement hardware from Inline Tube...hood bolts,trunk bolts,door hinge bolts...the inner fender bolts are closer to 72 design,but slightly smaller washer...and my inner fender used a unique cage nut that I cannot source,but I have one that's close...personally I prefer brand new hardware in certain locations,but that's just me...besides MR Gs,anyone have a good source they use?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default head markings/anchor & lightning bolt

I see they make a repo.,now called NOSR !? (I get it) with an anchor head?...were they ever used on Firebirds?...and someone had some nice looking lightning bolt ones,claimed NOS...were these ever used?...again I would only use limited repo. bolts in certain locations regarding fender installation,not where they are seen...since we are on the subject...can anyone post a pic of the correct 72 seat track to car body floor, or describe it...big or small washer? thanks!

Last edited by transam1972; 12-30-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seat track bolts tended to have a large, "captured" washer. Sometimes with teeth and sometimes without. Have not seen or have (100+) any '314 bolts with the "lightning" or more commonly termed "Flying F" heads. Many larger bolts have them though.

'521 is the longer version of the '314 bolt and was used at both ends of the wheel well/inner fender.

The Following User Says Thank You to FunctionalShaker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are the fender to rad support bolts....early May (05A) Norwood build.......all 4 have the large C on the head.....fwiw
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG8384.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	347979   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG8385.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	347980   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG8383.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	347981  

The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
the washers and bolts were manganese phosphate(black phosphate) , and if memory serves me well, they are like 1.125" diameter, all the current repos are 1.25" diameter( or visa versa,not at home to measure) as far as the head markings, any of those head markings are going to be correct, as long as they are the 5/16" threaded bolts. two lengths used, the shorter ones are the '314 bolts. Your assembly manual will show you where the '314 vs the longer bolts were used.
This is EXACTLY correct and you'll even find both markings on same car, usually on different sides of the car.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Here are the fender to rad support bolts....early May (05A) Norwood build.......all 4 have the large C on the head.....fwiw
I was looking at that hardware website...I swear my 72 seat track bolts to floor crossed over to Chrysler door hinge bolts...on something like that I don't care whats marked in a bolt head...new is new...however those fender washers you have pictured 2Many...I would like new ones that match 100%...they are also used on my 72 front spoiler and air dams...does anyone see a match or know where to get them??????

Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The seat track to floor .....and door hinge bolts both have a short reduced diameter "threadless" pilot end,as I recall?

The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you all for the very useful info here.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default the End?

thanks E!,..but does that mean no/go on the fender washers?...any one?...help!...used?...I would rather not buy a complete car for the 20 or so pieces of hardware I need!!...help!!

Last edited by transam1972; 12-31-2013 at 10:22 PM.