THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: What would you like to hear at shows/events?
Continue to play only doo-wop music and car songs 11 9.09%
Play a mix of 60's - 90's that better align with today's cars and demographics 51 42.15%
Play a mix across decades up through current 25 20.66%
Don't play any music at all 34 28.10%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Show Music : Poll

I have been into musclecars and going to shows since the early 80s. It seems there are a number of shows that still play the same music as they were playing 30 years ago at these events...all of the doo wop stuff prior to 1968 and few car songs like Little GTO, Hot Rod Lincoln, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of it, but, having it pounded into your eardrums for hours on end is like getting beat over the head with a suitcase full of poodle skirts.

This is my opinion, obviously, but I am interested in how others feel about this. The demographics have changed at shows over the last 30 years and it doesn't seem that only this one style of music applies to the all cars or show attendees anymore. The majority of attendees now grew up on 70s and 80s rock and had that blasting out of their radios while they were cruisin. That is what takes them back. Also, I think as a hobby, we are trying to younger members interested in our cars. How does constantly playing only music made decades before they were born help that?

I personally like most music from the 50s to current and would really like to hear a good mix across decades. How do you all feel?

Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find it odd in a show with majority mid 60's to early 70's muscle, to have 50's music blaring, which sometimes happens. They need to mix in Beatles, Stones, Cream, Hendrix, Doors, to make it real Gimme Shelter from Do Wop!

Old 08-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be happy with no music at all. I like music of all eras, but that way there wouldn't be any issues with either the older or younger attendees not hearing their favorite music. It's usually too loud anyway.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed that at the last few shows that I've attended they don't play much music at all, which is fine by me. I don't mind a little background music, but the blaring tunes really turn me off. And I'm a huge music fan. Last weekend we had a huge food festival here and a couple of the stalls were just blasting out Greek music. I avoided them like the plague.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed... almost always too loud to carry on a conversation.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is SO much great Psyco-Billy, Alt Country, Retro HotRod music., etc
The DJs need to get out & live a little!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I strongly dislike the music they play now, although I'm not too keen on stuff from the 60's-70's.

Gotta update the music playing.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-19-2017, 05:27 PM

When attending a show, it allways makes me cringe when I see a poor schmuck parked right under a huge speaker, cant be a good day for him.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 PM

Why is ANY music played at car shows?

Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd rather hear music, than some announcer droning on...."We have a 57 Chevy here by the booth owned by Joe Schmoe, and it's a nice one"....

Old 08-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Would prefer no music at all. But I am super sick of the same lame '50's songs played over and over again (very loudly) at shows where the majority of the cars are 60's on up. If I hear "Yakkety Yak, don't talk back" again, I'm gonna puke.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 08-19-2017, 08:36 PM

My car is a 64 and usually the music is older than it. I was born in 1988....ALL of the music is always MUCH older than me. There needs to be some variety. One of my favorite DJ "moves" is to do car trivia during part of the show...always kind of neat and gets people talking.

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 08-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Question

What would be a good CD to get that would have all the GTO and 409 etc. songs on it?
Is there a CD that's devoted to the old muscle car songs from back in the day?

Thanks, Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgenslake View Post
Why is ANY music played at car shows?
I agree. I tried the guy playing music at a BOP show to play The Ramones "Rock N Roll High School", he looked at me like I was crazy. Here is some of the lyrics to this song,
"Well the girls out there knock me out, you know
Rock, rock, rock 'n' roll high school
Cruisin' around in my GTO"

Last edited by se428bandit; 08-19-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to hear Stones, Skynard, etc. at the shows I go to, but I like the 50's stuff, too. Since it isn't "my" show, I don't feel that I have the right to tell them what to play.

Some of the younger local guys have started their own shows and they play whatever they want at them. That's my suggestion to those who don't like the music.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can't we all jus get along lol, play a bit of everystuff (at a moderate level pls), an then play nuthin for a bit, give peeps time to think, mingle and reflect.

A junkyard for me is like a museum as well as a car show (with no tunes), it takes me {back in the day} whatever day that may be according to whatever I'm lookin at.

I guess what I'm tryin to say is, (at the end of the day) its about our cars man.

Don't get me wrong I love my jams, lets jus {Come Together}...

Last edited by 4zpeed; 08-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM

I vote no music at all. I can't stand loud blaring music of any kind at a car show. I like to be able hear people talk, and hear myself think. It's a real peeve of mine. Loud music just makes me want to leave.

Having said that, I love music, and music played at low volume is OK. If music is played it should be a mix of eras to please everyone, unless the show has a particular theme, then the music should fit the theme.

I've been to a few shows with live bands and that can be fun, if not too loud.

One thing I've seen which I think is really cool is music being played inside a car (at moderate volume). The owner can pick what they like, and the music can only be heard when standing next to that car. Picking music of the same year as the car makes it really cool IMO. For example a '65 GTO with the 'Stones "Satisfaction" playing in the car.

This is off topic but one thing I've noticed recently is music being played in stores at a relatively loud volume. Usually it's some modern pop that I've never heard before, and a lot of it is awful (I'm almost 59 years old). It can't be good for business. It just makes me want to get the heck out of the store as fast as possible. Sometimes I forget to pick up things I need in my haste to get out of there.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its unlikely that shows are going to start playing death metal at any time in the future. Unfortunately. So Im going to be on the outs pretty much no matter what. But I would prefer if we slid forward to actual 67-77 that most of the era cars are it would be better. In fact they could just play Sabbath on loop. I would be okay with that and its period correct lol.

I actually rarely go to the little cruise in type shows. They are mostly down the hill and Im not driving 70 miles each way in LA traffic to see 40 cars. Most of the time I go to huge shows where they dont play anything over the loudspeakers anyway.

Viva in Las Vegas always has live Rockabilly bands on stage. Its pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't been to many shows over the past 15+ years, but figured most car shows would have classic rock playing by now. Please tell me old women dressed up in poodle skirts aren't a staple of car shows anymore. Did those stupid dolls people had leaning against their cars go away yet? Have PT cruisers been banned?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I type/speak for most here when stating that music newer than 1991 is loathsome and unwanted at car shows.

I think Bluegrass and select 57-71 music played at 1 Watt across 100 yards length would be perfect.

You know, any live band playing completely unplugged would be super.