Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Default 1964 GTO Package Tray

What color does the metal body lip that covers the rear package tray at the rear window get painted. Mine is currently Body color from when I painted teh car with the rear window out. My car has parchment ( cameoivory/ white) interior, dash color is black. It was exterior body color ( aquamarine blue)before I painted it, but not sure what color is supposed to be. It's either body color (aquamarine), black (dash)or cameo ivory(interior trim)? If anyone has 64 parchment interior let me know what color it should be. Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Parchment interiors are a little tricky but there are some constants. Package tray is always black. So is the metal strip at the bottom of the rear glass. (zero gloss textured) Lower dash is always parchment. Upper dash varies with body color. Your code P Aquamarine car would have a Carib Aqua upper dash (code 863-56564). This is also a textured zero gloss. Dash would look like this except with aqua upper.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 02-23-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the information. My dash was originally the Carib Aqua ( upper) / Parchment (lower). I thought something was wrong every Aquamarine car I saw at Norwalk or at GTO nationals the top of the dash was black. Mine was Aqua. I've never seen another one, I thought mine had been repainted at some point . Thanks for the help.... Danny

Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 AM

Unfortunately, I painted the upper dash black.....

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM

You can probably paint it back if you like.

What strip are you talking about behind the rear pkg tray? is that on the inside? Reason I ask is I'm missing that piece. the inside rear window trim was sold as a set of three trim or windlace, top and side. Am i missing something? It looks like I am.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM

O gloss Back textured is the correct color. The metal strip is part if the body made with the window. The tray slides under it . It is attached as part of the rear window frame.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Got it. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM

I have always believed that the color of the metal lip at the rear window that helps to secure the package tray is driven by the color of the upper body color. Although not as common as one colored cars, for two tone cars, where the lower body color may be red, but the upper body color may be white, the metal lip color will be dictated by the upper body color, and would be white, even though the package tray is black. I believe that if your roof is aquamarine, the lip would be as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

See column 12 "Package Shelf and Valance", Always black in a parchment interior.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some of you will remember this 65 GTO with a parchment interior. This is a good illustration of how the package tray area should look. Notice the plastic bottom corner trim pieces are black also.