Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
That's what I'm saying. It's really not going to cost you any more if you just let it sit for a while. I know for a fact that if I sold mine, I couldn't get my money back out of it...and then there's all the sweat equity you have in it...To let someone else get all the joy out of it? Not me. I'll put mine in the basement first.
I agree...and this is a good learning point for anyone thinking that restoring one of the old cars is a way to save money. Usually, it isn't...but that's not why am doing this car. I can't find exactly what I want so I'm building it. But if money is an issue, the cheapest way to buy one is to buy one that's already done. This can be a slippery slope too though because nobody does things the way I want them done. I've seen some really bad things done to old cars by people just trying to flip them for money. I think Greg's car was the victim of this too.

In this market, I feel like the sweat equity is basically of no value in an old car. If you can recoup the cost of the materials alone you are doing great. Right before I started this project, you couldn't find a real numbers matching car for less than $20K, and that was if it needed lots of work. Today, that's about all my car would bring and there are some nice looking cars out there for far less.

Chances are, I'll end up keeping it because it's just not worth the hit to sell...and besides, I do like the car ALOT so it's not like it's a sacrifice to hang onto it.

It's back at the local shop getting some more work, brakes, more wiring, a cooler thermostat...even though it holds at 195 no matter how hot it is, I want it cooler than that if possible. It's a bit hard to start when hot, I think the car is getting heat soaked and also maybe leaking some fuel into the cylinders when the fuel gets hot. It almost acts flooded and has to turn over quite a bit to start. Also gotta fix a small oil leak that is my fault.

I'm avoiding burnout by paying someone to do it. And THAT is not the way to save money on a hotrod!!!

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got it back yesterday, there is not enough vacuum to run a power booster on the brakes, we're going to stay with manual and get more pedal feel next week. The oil leak is fixed, it was at the valley pan. I also had plugged the outlets for the heater core, apparently they need to be connected as they are a bypass for the pump when the thermostat is closed so they connected the two together. The cooler thermostat helps when the car is idling, 160 degrees, but when you drive it, it goes to 195 still. Funny, it cools better in traffic than it does driving it. Obviously the water is not staying in the radiator long enough to cool it off. Maybe a flow restriction would help slow it down a bit.

The car now starts like it's fuel injected.

They also sorted out some light bulb issues I didn't even know about, tail lights, front markers/flashers etc.

The best part, so far we're only at about $250...maybe I should have taken it to them way before now!!! I think they just like having the car in the shop to work on.

On another note, I have two people that are seriously interested in the car. I only advertised it one place but apparently that's enough to generate interest. I told my wife I'd make a fair effort at selling it because I think that's the right thing for me to do, but I'm not real motivated...she understands. BTW- this is not something she is asking me to do...FWIW. I'll be sure to point out all of the flaws and everything I know it still needs.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was something in HPP a few years ago about a specific line of GM cars...I'm thinking late 80s/early 90s midsize, like Buick Century? ....they had a small electric vacuum pump. In the article, they were adapting it to big cammed engines for brake boost.
It may have been a Rocky Rotella article I'm thinking?

Last edited by Greg Reid; 06-25-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We talked about an additional vacuum pump, but that just means more plumbing and clutter in the engine bay. I like manual brakes too if they're adjusted right and have good pedal feel.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update-
We are going to try to make the brakes work as manual brakes, but we may still go to power brakes. The guy working on it did some research over the weekend and said they could use a small pump. We are also looking at making the hideaways electric with pop up headlight motors.

The next step after this will be to replace the window felts and the door and window seals. I'm going to keep working on the car and driving it, the price will just go up as I improve the car.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
Update-
We are going to try to make the brakes work as manual brakes, but we may still go to power brakes. The guy working on it did some research over the weekend and said they could use a small pump. We are also looking at making the hideaways electric with pop up headlight motors.

The next step after this will be to replace the window felts and the door and window seals. I'm going to keep working on the car and driving it, the price will just go up as I improve the car.
The vac pump I was telling you about was small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and can be picked up at the junkyard....I just can't remember the type of car it came from.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
The vac pump I was telling you about was small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and can be picked up at the junkyard....I just can't remember the type of car it came from.
That sounds perfect! From what I gather it doesn't take much vacuum to work the brakes.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That sounds perfect! From what I gather it doesn't take much vacuum to work the brakes.
I'm thinking it may be in the HPP archives or it may have even been here. I'm also thinking that it was Rocky Rotella that wrote the article or posted the info.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can't believe I'm even typing this, but I took a deposit on the car today...I got what I wanted money wise. I know it's the right move for this season of life, but if I said I'm thrilled about it I'd be lying.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I can't believe I'm even typing this, but I took a deposit on the car today...I got what I wanted money wise. I know it's the right move for this season of life, but if I said I'm thrilled about it I'd be lying.
Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes. Someone's going to get a nice car. Steer them to the forums!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes. Someone's going to get a nice car. Steer them to the forums!
I will, he's from the UK and he owns a Corvette restoration shop, looks like he does great work. It's going to really turn heads over there! I think I'm gonna puke!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I will, he's from the UK and he owns a Corvette restoration shop, looks like he does great work. It's going to really turn heads over there! I think I'm gonna puke!
Man, that's the second great GTO to go to Europe from this forum in the last couple of months. Also met an Aussie back in May who was here buying up entire lots of Pontiac and Chevy parts cars to ship down under. He told me he's also buying every Rally II wheel he can find.
Pretty soon, we'll be ordering all the original '60s muscle car parts from overseas!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, its gone. I loaded everything into it and took it to Savannah for shipping. It was hard to leave it there...but this was still the right thing to do for me. We've bought a nice camper and have already started going on trips in it. I'll get another car one day...

Thanks to everyone for all the info and insight! This is a great site!

Brandon