Old 11-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rivet nuts are in and worked like a charm. It's interesting that what appear to be the original holes on right were square punch, and the ones on the left were round. The rivet nuts seem to have locked in well. We had to tap several of them once they were done apparently because the stress of them being compressed slightly distorts the threads. The holes on the sway bars brackets also needed opened up about 1/8". Other than that, no drama. It looks much better than before with generic gold cad brackets, blue urethane bushings, and bolts nutted on the brackets.

Here's a few pictures.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work

Old 11-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice! That contraption also works great to replace the commonly stripped out riv-nuts that the side mirrors mount to.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice, Dave is very impressive. Lol

Old 11-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Very nice, Dave is very impressive. Lol
Bite me. I thought you were going shoe shopping.....

Well, the Black Car is in the trailer and ready to go south. The only hiccup was when we were ready to push the car in and figured out it would be hard to exit with the windows up. We ended up getting a skinny neighbor to steer. We started with a "bucket" seat, but it was too tall and we ended using a case of Brad Penn oil for him to sit on. I'm really excited about getting this done. Look out Tom, here it comes....

Old 11-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cowl Vent Finish

Can someone help me out with the correct finishes for the cowl vent. I am thinking that this one was redone based on original colors - frame in natural steel and flapper door black, but wanted to see if anyone had a definitive response. I think the vacuum actuator bracket should also be natural steel since it is riveted to the frame. You can see where someone painted this with a brush while the actuator was still installed. Underneath the actuator there is no paint on the bracket.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I send those to a carb plater. Yellow zinc is too bright. The plating the carb resto places do is perfect

Last edited by formula400; 11-16-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Vent plated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	413473  

Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On the car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	413474  

Old 11-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom. I'll throw it in the pile of stuff I have for Aero Propeller. Their gold cad looks pretty much like your picture, and the have a 6 pound minimum charge which is hard to meet without a jack shaft. Where do you send your to for plating?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like you're doing some nice work again, Bob! Looking forward to your progress pics!

Cheers,
Tim

Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob (and Dave) are quickly becoming some of the countries top restorers!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Bob (and Dave) are quickly becoming some of the countries top restorers!
Yep

Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the car has been delivered and now is in Tom's capable hands. MPD had an eventful trip back. He and his co-pilot layed over in Greenville, SC and came out this morning at 6:00am to find the batteries dead. The culprit was another failed alternator. This is the third alternator my '99 F350 diesel has eaten in 14 months. No local road service companies would come and provide a jump start due to it being a diesel. He ended up taking a cab to O'reilly's, buying a battery, and jump starting it off the battery. MPD rebuilds Cat fuel pumps in his spare time and he stopped at a turbo shop in NC that he has done work for and got the alternator sorted out before the truck died. He eventually got back to the garage and set off the burglar alarm....

Old 11-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WTF? They refused to assist because it was a diesel??? What kind of insane rule is that? It wasn't a AAA policy was it?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, when MPD called three different places they all asked what kind of vehicle it was and when informed it was a F350 diesel they informed him they didn't provide starting assist to large diesel trucks. They only thing I can think is that they all use starter packs now instead of jumper cables and the starter packs might be rated lower in CCA's. In retrospect, the cab ride to O'reilly's and the battery he bought was probably cheaper. The guy at the turbo shop knew the NAPA dealer well and despite MPD not having a receipt he kindly exchanged the alternator.

I had to laugh at your AAA question because when this first happened yesterday and Dave called at 6:15AM he asked if I had AAA like NJSteve. He remembered well your experience with them when your diesel Suburban broke down. Needless to say AAA is on my list for this morning. Especially since my now 15 year old daughter Mini Me just yesterday passed the test and received her learners permit.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

F350 ..Ford 7.3 wiring harness by the DS valve cover has a bracket to help hold the harness and a jct block. The alternator harness can and does wear there. Neighbor just put on his second alternator in 6 months and so we checked into the harness, shorted on and off to ground... A Ford guy said the harness can also get work near the fuse box too. IIRC..

Old 11-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce - Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out this weekend. Seems like it has to be something other than crappy rebuild quality to at play here. The last one just made it three months.

NJSteve - I sifted through the folder of documents you sent and found the VIN and Canadian import stickers. Thanks for the reminder. Actually, there were two of each sticker. Did one go on each door, or were you just "overserved" by ECS?

If folks could post a few pictures of where these decals were most typically located I would appreciate it. Photos that show the import sticker would be even better.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, my pic is blurry but it gives you an idea of the look and placement. I put it in storage to early, still 60 and sunny in Ohio. Have a happy Thanksgiving Bob.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Bruce - Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out this weekend. Seems like it has to be something other than crappy rebuild quality to at play here. The last one just made it three months.

NJSteve - I sifted through the folder of documents you sent and found the VIN and Canadian import stickers. Thanks for the reminder. Actually, there were two of each sticker. Did one go on each door, or were you just "overserved" by ECS?

If folks could post a few pictures of where these decals were most typically located I would appreciate it. Photos that show the import sticker would be even better.
Glad you found it. Yup, I paid extra for ASAP work and ordered two just in case I needed to put one on for the trip from Canada and then another after YOU repainted the car. See, I'm a psychic!