Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't worry its still winter!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

officially you're right, but the trees are blooming and it's in the 70's again today...I think there are several car shows today.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
officially you're right, but the trees are blooming and it's in the 70's again today...I think there are several car shows today.
Well, he was right on the 19th when he posted but yesterday, when you posted...was the first day of Spring...and not a day too soon if you ask me.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, he was right on the 19th when he posted but yesterday, when you posted...was the first day of Spring...and not a day too soon if you ask me.
That's true...ha! I didn't even realize it. But I'm glad it's here...even if the high tomorrow is only 46!

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I decided that while I was waiting on the motor...still waiting. I would do some cosmetics. I ordered the tail light buckets from PY, my originals were in pretty rough shape, the plastic was brittle and at some point someone tried to repair a socket with JB Weld. They came with the wiring pig-tails and they fit great! I had thought about replacing my lenses, but they are crack free and the plastic is in good shape. I had to tape off the red portion and chrome trim to repaint the black. I have to say they really turned out nice. The only thing I would advise about the new buckets is to pull the "blind nuts" that the lense mounting screws go through and "tap" them with your screws...otherwise they come off the buckets. I even epoxied mine in so they wouldn't come off with a bulb change.

I also mounted the bumper. It looks great but lining it up has been a bit frustrating. The driver side will line right up no problem, but the passenger side refuses to go as far forward, the bumpers on the mounts are hitting the frame so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be as far forward as I'm trying to get it to go. Here are some pics-

Here it is with the driver side further forward than the passenger side.

Here's how the passenger side looked.

The gap to the trunk loos good to me on both sides

These are with the passenger side pushed all the way forward and the driver side pulled back to match.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Still waiting on the engine, the race shop is slammed with work right now so my stuff is on the back burner...that's the price you pay for getting the good friend deal sometimes...

I ordered the ordered and recieved the correct color engine paint from PY. I also got new crossmember insulators and the masking kit for the wheels. I'm thinking I may do some minor/cheap cosmetics while I'm waiting and painting the wheels is cheap enough.

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm dying to go drive my car. The longer it sits the less motivated I'm becoming.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you ever get the rear bumper issue settled? I agree with you, passenger side looks wrong to me. Shouldn't be angled back like that towards the top I don't think..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Did you ever get the rear bumper issue settled? I agree with you, passenger side looks wrong to me. Shouldn't be angled back like that towards the top I don't think..
I haven't, I started a new thread in the body section and have some ideas on what to try. Someone suggested getting the center support right first. So far I haven't even fastened it to the bumper so maybe that's where I need to start.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably right about the center bracket. You can't really tell how it's going to fit until you tighten everything up and they do have some flex to them if you pressure them in the necessary spots.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine fits sort of the same way. The "wedge cut out" in the bumper for the quarter panel "wedge" needs to go to the right more Pass side. Contour of inner part of bumper is touches the body before it can be put in right spot.

I did make a mistake with my new quarters though. I left the flange we will call it, hanging long instead of bending it over into the cross rail area.. if you follow. But even if I can fix it with out killing the paint. Bumper will still not have enough room to go where it needs. Sorry for butting in 270win, but your pass looks just like mine.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Probably right about the center bracket. You can't really tell how it's going to fit until you tighten everything up and they do have some flex to them if you pressure them in the necessary spots.
I really am not sure exactly hosw to flex these bumpers. It'll be later in the week before I can get to it anyway. But I'm going to fasten the ceter first and go from there.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh68gto View Post
Mine fits sort of the same way. The "wedge cut out" in the bumper for the quarter panel "wedge" needs to go to the right more Pass side. Contour of inner part of bumper is touches the body before it can be put in right spot.

I did make a mistake with my new quarters though. I left the flange we will call it, hanging long instead of bending it over into the cross rail area.. if you follow. But even if I can fix it with out killing the paint. Bumper will still not have enough room to go where it needs. Sorry for butting in 270win, but your pass looks just like mine.
I may have to remove those pads on the bumper mounts to get it to move over and in more. I wonder if it'll rattle if I do that though?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
I really am not sure exactly hosw to flex these bumpers. It'll be later in the week before I can get to it anyway. But I'm going to fasten the ceter first and go from there.
Well, for the front, I used jacks, chains, pipes, my truck, etc...but on the rear, you'll definitly want to be careful of the finish...I was kind of thinking about gently backing the car against a stationary object and then tightening the bolts but to be honest, I have NOT tried this myself with the rear bumper.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Well, for the front, I used jacks, chains, pipes, my truck, etc...but on the rear, you'll definitly want to be careful of the finish...I was kind of thinking about gently backing the car against a stationary object and then tightening the bolts but to be honest, I have NOT tried this myself with the rear bumper.
I've already tried using a jack and it worked well. Maybe a puller of some sort would work as well.

Funny, my Nova just bolted right up with no fuss...

Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The short block is finally together!!! Should have the heads on it tomorrow and it should be done by next weekend...

Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man this is dragging on... I got this pic the other day, but we still are looking at several weeks at least. The rocker studs are too small for the roller rockers I bought so he's ordered bigger studs. I need to order the carb from Cliff when I get back from vacation.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you spoken with Cliff yet? I think it took about 4-5 months to get my carb from him last year, so I would get on his list right away. I ended up building one to fill the time gap- after a little tinkering it worked fine, but Cliff's carb works better.

Walt

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put in the order in December, he told me to give him final engine specs and 10 days and he'd have it ready to go...so I guess I've been on the list for 6 months now...but he's waiting on me.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's the engine now, almost completely done. I got the Milodon oil pan today. I need to get an HEI from Butler and the carb from cliff and we're ready to dyno.