Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations - another one on it's way back from the dead!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a nice car.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Senior Chief

Finally, all parts under one roof!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Man that is going to be a monumental task, putting something back together that you didn't take apart. Get the GTO restoration guide, the 68 service manual and the 68 Fisher body service manual. Did they at least bag and tag all the bolts and small parts? Good luck, I hope you pull it off, 68's are awesome.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That should keep you busy for a few years. Reminds me why I like to do mine in phases instead of disassembling everything at once.

I see in the pics that you do indeed have a burgundy interior. The sources I gave you in the other thread should help get it close to original (that's what I would do). But changing it to something like black would be a lot easier, and probably cheaper in the end.

Hopefully you have had one of these cars apart before? The reference books mentioned would be a big help. Looks like most of it is there though.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO68FXSTC98 View Post
Man that is going to be a monumental task, putting something back together that you didn't take apart. Get the GTO restoration guide, the 68 service manual and the 68 Fisher body service manual. Did they at least bag and tag all the bolts and small parts? Good luck, I hope you pull it off, 68's are awesome.
Nothing bagged or tagged. That's the first step of my plan -sorting through parts, cleaning them up to see what's salvageable, ID'ing the part and properly storing them so they'll be ready to go back on when needed. Building an extensive 68 GTO Manual and literature library is at the top of my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
That should keep you busy for a few years. Reminds me why I like to do mine in phases instead of disassembling everything at once.

I see in the pics that you do indeed have a burgundy interior. The sources I gave you in the other thread should help get it close to original (that's what I would do). But changing it to something like black would be a lot easier, and probably cheaper in the end.

Hopefully you have had one of these cars apart before? The reference books mentioned would be a big help. Looks like most of it is there though.
Never messed with a Pontiac, but I have done a frame-off resto on a 68 corvette convertible that was in about the same shape. I usually don't have any issues with the mechanical process and I learn the rest.
The "Hunk of Junk" when I found it.

After - this took me about 4 years off and on.

It's a long term project. I just love the resurrection part of the process. I don't have a time limit, probably will only do the serious shop work during the fall and spring - take the summer off -too hot!!! And, when I feel the need for speed - Here' how I feed the beast- 70RS/Z28 Original motor and drive train with 4.10 posi.

As I understand it, the guy I bought it from bought the GTO in 2003. I think he bought from the second owner who parked it in his drive way and covered it up for who knows how long. So, he's been trying to restore for awhile. Hopefully I can be Dr. Frankenstein and get to shout -Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

I just hope you guys don't get tired of me asking questions

Last edited by bkmont; 06-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work on the 'Vette, and both are beautiful cars. Glad to hear that you understand what you are getting into. Some really enjoy the journey and some just want to get it done and drive.

Lots of experience on the board here, so just ask away!

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is mostly what it looked like when it was new.
Except i don't think this one had anywhere near as many options as yours .
Did yours have the lower Rally Stripe option #494 ?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Here is mostly what it looked like when it was new.
Except i don't think this one had anywhere near as many options as yours .
Did yours have the lower Rally Stripe option #494 ?

Baron,
That's beautiful!.. I'm going to take that pic, blow it up and hang it in the man cave to help me keep my eye on the prize.
Yes, the window sticker calls for Rally Stripe. I guess that's coded on the billing history too. I'm not sure.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car came in the exact same pile of parts as yours. It is a challenge sorting through everything, but it is possible. Mine should even be on the road this year.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
My car came in the exact same pile of parts as yours. It is a challenge sorting through everything, but it is possible. Mine should even be on the road this year.
Jeremy,
I have been reading about your journey. You have done a great job! Nothing like the thrill of that first ride down the rode after all the hard work that has been put into it.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Senior Chief

Hi guys,
Thought I would post an update. I started piddling with the car. Too hot to start anything major in the shop. So, I pulled the original instrument cluster/dash bezel out to clean it up a bit. Not too bad except for the bezel already being cut for an aftermarket radio. I just put a new modern radio in the hole for now. I also decided to do a little polishing on my knob It didn't turn out too bad. There's still some stress cracks in the lens.

Last edited by bkmont; 08-20-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awesome, cant wait to see progress.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

That car is a great find. Looks like it is in good hands Randy.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to pull the sport steering wheel this weekend to start on it.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 PM

wow the vette and the Z ARE FANTSTIC - that said welcome to pontiac hell youll have some issues along the way and be happy in the end by far the tin on these cars is a huge challenge and last word is pontiacs dont respond like chevys to crazy cams
be mindfull when the time arises to choose

Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmont View Post

These guys are an amazing help here. Just look at how many threads I've started and how much long they have become. My project isn't nearly as in-depth as yours, but I wouldn't be able to do jack-$*^ without this forum.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmont View Post
Nothing bagged or tagged. That's the first step of my plan -sorting through parts, cleaning them up to see what's salvageable, ID'ing the part and properly storing them so they'll be ready to go back on when needed. Building an extensive 68 GTO Manual and literature library is at the top of my list.

Never messed with a Pontiac, but I have done a frame-off resto on a 68 corvette convertible that was in about the same shape. I usually don't have any issues with the mechanical process and I learn the rest.
The "Hunk of Junk" when I found it.

After - this took me about 4 years off and on.

It's a long term project. I just love the resurrection part of the process. I don't have a time limit, probably will only do the serious shop work during the fall and spring - take the summer off -too hot!!! And, when I feel the need for speed - Here' how I feed the beast- 70RS/Z28 Original motor and drive train with 4.10 posi.

As I understand it, the guy I bought it from bought the GTO in 2003. I think he bought from the second owner who parked it in his drive way and covered it up for who knows how long. So, he's been trying to restore for awhile. Hopefully I can be Dr. Frankenstein and get to shout -Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

Like your Corvette we have something in common. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto 2013 008.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	374069  

TOM
Old 08-23-2014, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like a great start for a project

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Senior Chief

Hello,
I started cleaning up the air cleaner and found a nice surprise under the grease and grime.
The original markings still look great.
The problem is that the rest of the air cleaner's paint needs freshening up. Does the GM Chassis paint have the same sheen as the original air cleaner paint?

Thanks,
Bryan