Old 03-03-2016, 05:49 AM
Senior Chief

Hello,
Well it's been awhile, but I have seen some updates on other 68 projects from fellow enthusiasts so I decide to bring my build progress up to date.
Started on the floor replacement. Went with a full front section and a full under seat section. Still working on fitting it all up. I had to work around old floor patches that had been half-assed tacked and brazed in place. Bryan

Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet! I'm up in the air about my floor ... it's just got a couple of small holes in it .. no more than a dollar bill total .... but ... do I replace it in small pieces ... or just make it happen with the whole thing. When I consider how much work it will be stripping all the crap off the underside of the old floor ... makes it attractive just to replace the whole thing.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Sweet! I'm up in the air about my floor ... it's just got a couple of small holes in it .. no more than a dollar bill total .... but ... do I replace it in small pieces ... or just make it happen with the whole thing. When I consider how much work it will be stripping all the crap off the underside of the old floor ... makes it attractive just to replace the whole thing.
I wouldn't replace a floor for that small of a rusted out area....but I'm a big believer in keeping as much original metal as possible. Actually, my '68's floors had just a little 'lace' showing where the front passenger side floor meets the toe-board. I cut it out and replaced just that area with some sheetmetal.
If I had it to do again, I would have just used the POR-15 floor kit to fill those tiny pinholes. http://www.por15.com/FLOOR-PAN-TRUNK-KIT_p_61.html

Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I wouldn't replace a floor for that small of a rusted out area....but I'm a big believer in keeping as much original metal as possible. Actually, my '68's floors had just a little 'lace' showing where the front passenger side floor meets the toe-board. I cut it out and replaced just that area with some sheetmetal.
If I had it to do again, I would have just used the POR-15 floor kit to fill those tiny pinholes. http://www.por15.com/FLOOR-PAN-TRUNK-KIT_p_61.html
I agree with Greg, keep as much of original floor as possible. Let me know if you need a piece that has a particular shape, I might have a solid section on one of my cut pieces.
Bryan

Old 03-06-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
This is what I did with the trunk pan in my convert. It had 30 , more or less pin holes in the pan. After pulling the fuel tank, I put several coats, 2 each side, of POR 15 until all holes were sealed. I think the instructions said not to put 2 coats on a surface, but haven't had an issue.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

Still working on it. Slowly, but surely

Old 05-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like your solution for grafting the replacement quarter panel to the convertible shape above the belt line.

Do you have the rear speaker for the stereo? I am curious how it mounts in the seat back brace. Was the speaker inside any sort of enclosure?

Old 05-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Senior Chief

I really had no choice but to do the quarter that way. I needed the door jamb due to prior accident damage. I've read where the vert and HT are different, but I made the decision to use the full HT top quarter or this car would never see the road again if I had to depend on a full convertible quarter to become available.

I didn't notice any speakers when I was sorting through the parts pile. I'm not sure what happened to them.

The PHS says that the radio is am-fm (I'm assuming mono) and the 8-track is stereo. Would the rear speaker be an option too? or would it be included with am-fm and 8 track stereo option?
Bryan

Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes the convertible quarter panels are different. The belt line detail follows the top well on the convertible vs turning up and doubling back towards the front on a hardtop. The upper ridge also travels a different path, as I am sure you discovered on your own. Have you noticed how wide the space is between the top ridge and deck lid on your convertible compared to a hardtop? There is a lot of real estate up there.

As far as I understand, the rear speaker comes with the tape player. The tape player also provides a fader feature when listening to the radio via the balance knob on the 8 track.

Looking forward to seeing your car when finished. Do you have the placement instructions for the rally stripe? I have it somewhere if you need that info...

Old 05-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a rear speaker with just a am radio,also has the fader feature. Speaker sits in the top well passenger side and is screwed to the seat brace facing rearward.

TOM
Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
I have a rear speaker with just a am radio,also has the fader feature. Speaker sits in the top well passenger side and is screwed to the seat brace facing rearward.
Can you post a photo for us please?
That would be super helpful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool car! I am not sure how I missed this thread until now. Your making good progress! I have been working on my 68 for over 10 years. Finally putting the boots on a more regular schedule & hope to have it done, or very close to done this summer.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 05-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Senior Chief

I saw this 68 at a car show on Saturday. It got the juices to flowing again. Similar to my car except this car is an auto. Owner told me it was used as a parade car for years.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bkmont, In post #66 what did you do with your headlight buckets? They look like they might be yellow cad coated? Mine have a galvanizing on them, & I have been doing some research on having them re-plated. So hard to see them unless the doors are down, but they can still be seen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 6.40.42 AM.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	453764  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
Bkmont, In post #66 what did you do with your headlight buckets? They look like they might be yellow cad coated? Mine have a galvanizing on them, & I have been doing some research on having them re-plated. So hard to see them unless the doors are down, but they can still be seen

They do have a cad coating. They are some NOS ones I picked up awhile back.
I'll have to look at the original ones to see what coating is on them. I can't remember.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
Can you post a photo for us please?
That would be super helpful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
This weekend I'll take some pictures.

TOM
Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 AM
Senior Chief

Well, look what the cat dragged in....I couldn't resist, I bought this 68 Lemans vert parts car for $750. It's pretty complete. The frame is rotten though. It should give me plenty of extra doodads for my GTO.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice find! A picture of that rear speaker(not the best) It's mounted in the well of the vert top. Like you would slit the well and stick the speaker in. Odd that it faces rearward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto 054.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	456056   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto 052.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	456057  

TOM
Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

This part for the Endura bumper mounting looks like an odd shaped shim(washer). I can't find anything that looks like it in my parts bucket. Anybody know where I could find a couple?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never noticed that. I don't have one on my car, whatever it is. They show it used with both bumpers. Is that drawing from the Fisher manual or the assembly manual?