Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question BMW < dead battery lockout

My brother called this evening, asking if I had any ideas on how to get the door(s) unlocked on a BMW with a dead battery (his son's car). Key won't unlock the door mechanically, apparently.
At least he is assuming the battery is dead, it could be another problem. Anyway, it's a post 2000 SUV not sure of the model. He thinks the battery is in the rear passenger area, not under the hood. Said he managed to squeeze something down through a cracked window to pull on the inside lever, but it still wouldn't open.
My only guess is if the key fob has a dead battery, maybe the computer won't allow the doors to unlock?
Anyone know if there is an auxillury power-up port on the exterior of the car somewhere? Or have any knowledge about a common quirk of this nature?

Do BMWs use vacuum operated locks? I mentioned that to my brother, but I thought that was mostly only Mercedes, Audi and Volkswagon.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wanted to get this up here before I did anything else.
A little later I tried searching on YouTube. Got the answer(s) I needed pretty fast. Is there anything that can't be found on YT? lol

Anyways, thanks for looking.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, we're waiting! how was this solved?

Old 10-11-2023, 11:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jumper connections to the POS terminal of the license plate light socket and any ground. The trunk light works on some cars that the key will open the trunk on.
Just a jump pack would be enough. Apparently, it only takes minimal voltage back fed through the harness to operate the door locks.

Also, there are some models that have a secret trick where you turn the key a full revolution while lifting the door handle.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder how this voltage gets past the off light switch or relay?