WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, talk about a red-headed step child!

Those poor 04's were set off to the side and not sure how many times I saw/heard folks either crossing that section off the poular vote ballott or simply writing in "no such thing!"

Also heard lots of positive comments about the Pontiac Performance Drive event but mostly those were the experience of riding with a Bondurant instructor and seeing Rhys Millen (great guy!) wring the car out. I would guess most would say it had nothing to do with it actually being a goat and was more what the drivers could do.

Sad, but on the upside saw some amazing classic goats and a couple nice modded 04's.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, talk about a red-headed step child!

Those poor 04's were set off to the side and not sure how many times I saw/heard folks either crossing that section off the poular vote ballott or simply writing in "no such thing!"

Also heard lots of positive comments about the Pontiac Performance Drive event but mostly those were the experience of riding with a Bondurant instructor and seeing Rhys Millen (great guy!) wring the car out. I would guess most would say it had nothing to do with it actually being a goat and was more what the drivers could do.

Sad, but on the upside saw some amazing classic goats and a couple nice modded 04's.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure the Ferrari people were saying the same thing back in 1964.

Those folks are a bunch of freaking cry babies that want a 1964 brand new for $5K again. They don't want to recognize that times have changed.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

I'm sure the Ferrari people were saying the same thing back in 1964.

Maybe, but I doubt there were many Ferrari Poeple at the Nat's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
_I'm sure the Ferrari people were saying the same thing back in 1964._

Maybe, but I doubt there were many Ferrari Poeple at the Nat's... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm also sure the Ferrari people didn't bitch as much as the so called pontiac people did when the Ferrari GTO was brought back in 1984.

You know, Pontiac people are some of the stragenst mother F'ers I have ever met.

Sometimes they don't live in reality.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
_I'm sure the Ferrari people were saying the same thing back in 1964._

Maybe, but I doubt there were many Ferrari Poeple at the Nat's... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm also sure the Ferrari people didn't bitch as much as the so called pontiac people did when the Ferrari GTO was brought back in 1984.

You know, Pontiac people are some of the stragenst mother F'ers I have ever met.

Sometimes they don't live in reality. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

amen
Old 07-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
You know, Pontiac people are some of the stragenst mother F'ers I have ever met. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or a slam. On one hand yes we are because we are not a part of the masses, i.e. chevy, mopar and ferd guys. On the other hand pretty ignorant to make a comment like that because you are generalizing all of us and if anything, you should know that cannot be done due to the differing opinions of all us "Pontiac People" that post here.

Just a side note, Pontiac people are some of the nicest, giving people I know as well. If you want to throw strange in there as well, fine just leave the MF'r part off.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:
[QUOTE]

I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or a slam. On one hand yes we are because we are not a part of the masses, i.e. chevy, mopar and ferd guys. On the other hand pretty ignorant to make a comment like that because you are generalizing all of us and if anything, you should know that cannot be done due to the differing opinions of all us "Pontiac People" that post here.

Just a side note, Pontiac people are some of the nicest, giving people I know as well. If you want to throw strange in there as well, fine just leave the MF'r part off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, based on my experiences, the biggest snobs in the automotive hobby are Corvette people and Pontiac people. Vette people hate everyone, but it seems with Pontiac people sometimes have the attitude of "My **** don't stink and you reek"

Just look at the engine builders and the car restoration shops. Or how if you offer something for sale, it is junk yet if someone else has the same exact thing it is worth 10X what your stuff is. Or having thise old time lost in the past idiots say that "It's not a REAL pontiac" Well, what the f does that mean? When wasn't it a real pontiac? What is a REAL pontiac?

That is the kind of attitude I hate and it has led to a great deal of rift in the Pontiac hobby.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:07 AM

maybe the old goaters have some sort of genetic testing thing to tell if the iron was mined out of the "right" side of the mountain.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
Sometimes they don't live in reality. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's reality? Your reality?

Just because the majority does not like the
styling of the new GTO does not make everyone
else wrong and you right. The REALITY is, the car is not selling like PMD and other's expected. You can throw all sorts of excuses out there but the truth of the matter is, this car does not appeal to the masses. If PMD is ok with that then fine but don't blame it on negative feedback from the 'old-school' GTO enthusiast. Had they listened to this group and did the car right, we may not be having this discussion. Once again, consider the new Mustang as an example. End of story.
Eph. 4:32
Semper Fi
http://members.aol.com:/ramair68/gen1home.html
Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RamAirJohn:
Who's reality? Your reality?

Just because the majority does not like the
styling of the new GTO does not make everyone
else wrong and you right. The REALITY is, the car is not selling like PMD and other's expected. You can throw all sorts of excuses out there but the truth of the matter is, this car does not appeal to the masses. If PMD is ok with that then fine but don't blame it on negative feedback from the 'old-school' GTO enthusiast. Had they listened to this group and did the car right, we may not be having this discussion. Once again, consider the new Mustang as an example. End of story. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reality of the typical mentality of old school pontiac people. how many OLD SCHOOL pontiac people actually have owned a NEW pontiac since say 1995? My guess is not a lot.

Were the old school pontiac people going to buy a car THEY SUGGESTED they build? Doubt it. They complained when they cancelled the Firebird, but they bitched because it was plastic inside and out and didn't have a PONTIAC motor and was ugly. They weren't the ones stepping up and buying one. I was. Were you?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to old school pontiac people.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Just a side note, Pontiac people are some of the nicest, giving people I know as well. If you want to throw strange in there as well, fine just leave the MF'r part off.

Ditto Humbler...

I think that Pontiac people get along with everyone very well, most of us just like nice looking fast classy cars. Our preference may be Pontiac Muscle, but I also enjoy MoPars and Chevy's as well as Fords that make the grade.

I have never met a car guy (a true car guy that is), that did not enjoy most car and not just his or hers. I can also truly say that 99% of the Pontiac people that I know or have met are great people, even if we do not agree.

But then there are those guy's that just don't see it that way, and I really feel sorry for them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

I drove the new GTO up there and was not impresed with the power not at all, I only got to drive the auto and would guess the 6 speed would feel better. This thing would not even spin the tires from a dead stop with out doing a power brake. I will say in the hands of a pro these things handle well.
Don
Old 07-20-2004, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hell yeah, did you ride with an instructor? Seemed to handle on the edge pretty well from what I could tell in the passenger seat.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:50 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by don:
I drove the new GTO up there and was not impresed with the power not at all, I only got to drive the auto and would guess the 6 speed would feel better. This thing would not even spin the tires from a dead stop with out doing a power brake. I will say in the hands of a pro these things handle well.
Don <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is puzzling, i know mine (granted a 6 spd) will blow you back and desite the naysayers will run out of the box with any old out of the box gto in a straight line and be long gone in the curves.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:11 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by don:
Don <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you turn the traction control off?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTTT
Everyone I talked to who took the Performance Drive opportunity was VERY IMPRESSED with the new GTO's handling and gitgo. And if you think that the '04 GTOs were off on their own, where do think they put the '66-'67 converts?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was up the street judging, i sort of came to the conclusion that there were no 66 / 7 verts then found them once I came back down the street.

I was wondering the same thing about the traction control,
Old 07-20-2004, 04:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Geronimo675 Send a message via Yahoo to Geronimo675

Wouldn't spin the tires? I find that hard to believe. My GTP would turn 'em for a second with the Traction Control on, without touching the brakes.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Turning the traction control off was the first thing I did . This was not my first day in a car . I foot braked it to 1400 rpm's and floored it and no spin.A few people did do big power brakes. The auto is a PIG.
Wish I could have driven a 6 speed. I drove three different ones there and they all felt very soft down low.
The Grand Prix did spin the tires. I like the Grand Prix best of all three and heard a lot of people saying the same. My wife will be looking at getting one of these.
Don