WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
Here are pics of the hood. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the record I don't really care for hood scoops on a late model car, but the ones Pontiac came up with on the 05 aren't bad. Some early renderings showed a smaller, retro styled scoop which would have been out of context with the rest of the car. The scoops on there now fit well with the elongated hood.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlzm:
Has anyone seen a concept sketch/photo/anything for the '07 GTO yet? They are only about 18 months away, and if they are going to be built in the USA on the Zeta platform, they are going to have start gearing up for them soon, no?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There will be no 2007 GTO due to it's high price, low sales and lack of visual appeal. Look for the G8 to replace the GTO...( Didn't I say that in a previous post a few months ago ?...I got criticized a year ago as well for saying that the 2005 would offer a higher spoiler, grill inserts and air box to appeal to the ricer crowd. Hmmm, guess I was wrong on that one too.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

show's how little your really do know about the GTO project.

Let me fill you all in on some stuff

2007 GTO to be shown at 2006 NAIS
built on new Zeta platform.
built in US at Hammatrak facility along with Monaro.
Styling cues from Woodward GTO and 99 GTO concept.
LS7 possible optional engine.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:04 PM

Oh, god, please not the '99 concept. Eeww! I don't personally know anyone who gave that any more than a quizzical, head-sideways look before shrugging shoulders and saying something like, "Well, okay, that's... um... interesting."
Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sal:

...Styling cues from Woodward GTO and 99 GTO concept.
QUOTE]

Oh Jeez, a cross between a Ricer and a BatMobile.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:18 PM

For '07, let's make all those retro lovers happy. How about a few cues from the '70?

I like the "beak" grille from the '70 model - how about if we wrap the headlights around the sides slightly, retain the beak that turns into a ridge down the center of the hood, get a couple of modest hood scoops... and a nice "haunch" over the rear wheels? Hell, even my '98 Grand Prix has a little rear wheel bulge. Check out that new Charger for an updated example of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70gtoconvblk.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	23153  
Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charlzm:
For '07, let's make all those retro lovers happy. How about a few cues from the '70?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!...I've had 3 GTOs : a 66 vert, a 68 and still have a 70. I always thought I wanted a 65, but lately I'm liking the smooth looks of my 70 better. The 04 isn't a bad looking car with the spoiler off and some better rims...Smooth it out, give that back end some attitude and the GTO just may be Pontiacs flagship badboy again, not a G6, G8 or a G Whiz.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 PM

I wouldn't hold your breathe about the GTO and Monaro going State side just yet. Lots of things happening in Australia and they may just stay...for a little while longer.

Jim
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

The '07 will be built in North America, period, no offense, but it's a done deal!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:47 PM

A higher up at GM told me last year that the Camaro and Firebird would never be produced again due to the concessions GM made with the Canadian auto workers to close that plant. Why would GM want to assemble the '07 GTO in the US when Holden's quality obviously exceeds anything GM produces in the states, and GM is not decreasing but increasing outsourcing? Rumors of an LS7 500 HP option appear well founded, but why - you can get a '04 or '05 GTO sideways easily enough.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GTO 4MA:
Why would GM want to assemble the '07 GTO in the US when Holden's quality obviously exceeds anything GM produces in the states,QUOTE]

Holdens quality? Yeah right. Tell that to the folks who got that first batch of GTOs with orange peel and sheep hair in the finish. Since when is Australia known for making quality cars? The only reason the 2004 "GTO" was made in Australia was because it was cheaper and quicker to put it on an existing platform aka Monaro.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:37 PM

[Quote]Originally posted by red70goat:
Holdens quality? Yeah right. Tell that to the folks who got that first batch of GTOs with orange peel and sheep hair in the finish. Since when is Australia known for making quality cars? The only reason the 2004 "GTO" was made in Australia was because it was cheaper and quicker to put it on an existing platform aka Monaro.[Quote]

No arguement there.:-( Quality has a lot to do with the people in charge and unfortunatly those over here, in my opinion, lack the expertise and knowledge of the painting process. When engineers are in charge of "the shop" instead of chemists then what would you expect?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:37 PM

Anyone seen the Holden Torana TT36 yet? There are rumors going around that it will be the next gen Camaro stateside...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...how-holden.htm

Give me this car in almost any color other than that awful purple/magenta and throw in a nice V8 - call it any damn thing you want (Camaro if you must) - and I'd buy this over the current gen GTO in a heartbeat.

Why does Holden have an ability to design, engineer and manufacture kick-ass cars and the US-based GM companies can't?

Well, maybe not all... Saturn's version of the kappa-based roadster (the SKy) looks better to me than Pontiac's (solstice). And the upcoming Aura, while resembling a Dodge Neon in profile, has more interesting and attractive styling cues than anything Chevy or Pontiac is coming out with. I could be wrong about this, but it looks like it's based on the same architecture as the G6 and Malibu.

Is it just me, or is the Saturn corporate styling starting to look a little Holden-esque?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holden-aims-04-2-big.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	8444  
Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

I like the shape and stance, and it would kick ass with a V-8. Gotta lose the glass roof and Barbie interior though.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charlzm:

I like the "beak" grille from the '70 model - how about if we wrap the headlights around the sides slightly, retain the beak that turns into a ridge down the center of the hood, get a couple of modest hood scoops... and a nice "haunch" over the rear wheels? Hell, even my '98 Grand Prix has a little rear wheel bulge. Check out that new Charger for an updated example of what I'm talking about.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At which car have you been looking? The '04/'05 has styling cues all over it from the '70 (check out my original "Stylin' Smilin'" post). As for the headlights that slightly wrap around the sides...um...take another look at the '04/'05...I don't know what you want but from the side you can see almost the entire headlight.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Rabon,

In my post, I was saying that, if we take the 1970 GTO as a starting point, we should wrap the headlights around the sides slightly. this has been done on the current car, without a doubt, but I was saying we should start with a 70 and see what we can do with it.

I'd still like to see a more muscular stance and a more Pontiac-heritage themed "beak" on the front of the current or next-gen model. I'm not asking for something as extreme as the retro Mustang, mind you, but a few more cues for the old timers would be nice.

I recall looking through all the photo posts you made and I saw the point you were making. No arguments here.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a note to say that the 99 Concept was excellent and got alot of press. Can't wait to see the 07 GTO in 06.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GTO 4MA:
Why would GM want to assemble the '07 GTO in the US when Holden's quality obviously exceeds anything GM produces in the states,QUOTE]

Holdens quality? Yeah right. Tell that to the folks who got that first batch of GTOs with orange peel and sheep hair in the finish. Since when is Australia known for making quality cars? The only reason the 2004 "GTO" was made in Australia was because it was cheaper and quicker to put it on an existing platform aka Monaro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trying that one again aye? Shame is that you don't own one and can't experience what a absooute rush it is to drive.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

He's afraid to drive one because he will buy it and be forced to drive around in a super fast Grand AM. He will find that it is not a bad looking car and it does not look like a Grand Am or Bloated Cavalier, but one of the most attractive vehicles on the road. He will then understand that even though the styling is somewhat dated, it is a refreshing beginning to the re-invention of a 2dr, RWD, V8, comfortable, high performance coupe.