Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
If it is not too late I would recommend the smaller 4150 flange. The 4100 might cause interference with the shaker.
The Stock 3/8 feed and 5/16 fuel lines are adequate.
For the flex lines do not use rubber, Use PTEF lines.
For a fuel pump I recommend an in tank pump.
What is the depth of the fuel tank at the deepest.
Intake manifold...
I already sent payment to one our fellow PY members this morning and he's giving me a good deal on the intake so I think that's what I'm sticking with for now. I'm hoping it will fit with one of the shorter efi throttle body's or maybe an elbow.

Fuel lines...
The Holley instruction manual for the pump I just purchased says 10AN post pump and 8AN return as a minimum requirement. Material and price will be most important now.

Fuel pump...
The one I have pictured below can either work submerged or externally. I've been leaning towards the idea of submerging it now that I'm getting into this project some. Will need to figure out how I should mount it inside the tank.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tanks inc offers these EFI Fuel pumps.
Baybe they could be purchased with out the pump.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...=cat/cat61.htm

Old 10-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy crap that is A LOT of fuel pump. You're going to need a bigger engine!! Or a whole lot of boost!!

I'm not saying you will run into a problem, but if you find yourself in a situation where you are experiencing vapor lock at low fuel levels (like 1/4 tank or less), look right at the pump. It's going to by by-passing A LOT of fuel and heat back to the gas tank. Some have issues, some do not. Worse case scenario you run a smaller pump into the existing large plumbed in lines and all gets better with less fuel by-passed**. Then the lines are still there if you ever decide to step up to four digit horsepower and put the pump back in. All hypothetical, so don't let my concern derail you, just keep it in mind. You may not experience any fuel temp issues at all.

**I've heard mixed reviews on fuel pump controllers to slow down the big pumps to solve this problem. I have an A1000 on the shelf that will eventually go on my OHC six engine with a turbo, and it will be grossly over rated for daily driving, and I'm going to try out the MegaSquirt's built in pump speed controller at that point in time.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 10-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
Holy crap that is A LOT of fuel pump. You're going to need a bigger engine!! Or a whole lot of boost!!

I'm not saying you will run into a problem, but if you find yourself in a situation where you are experiencing vapor lock at low fuel levels (like 1/4 tank or less), look right at the pump. It's going to by by-passing A LOT of fuel and heat back to the gas tank. Some have issues, some do not. Worse case scenario you run a smaller pump into the existing large plumbed in lines and all gets better with less fuel by-passed**. Then the lines are still there if you ever decide to step up to four digit horsepower and put the pump back in. All hypothetical, so don't let my concern derail you, just keep it in mind. You may not experience any fuel temp issues at all.

**I've heard mixed reviews on fuel pump controllers to slow down the big pumps to solve this problem. I have an A1000 on the shelf that will eventually go on my OHC six engine with a turbo, and it will be grossly over rated for daily driving, and I'm going to try out the MegaSquirt's built in pump speed controller at that point in time.
I understand what you're saying to a degree. I saw the Holley pump listed online for a good price not too long ago so I picked it up. It's actually a twin pump design. My initial thoughts are that with a sorted out computer system, I can run one pump as needed and stage the second. I have much to learn about efi systems. This is going to be a long project for me due to funds, learning curve and time needed to install everything.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I currently stage pumps on my Skylark. Runs on one, and the second comes on at higher load. Worse case with the A1000 if the pump speed controlling fails me I'll continue to run a small EFI pump with the A1000 staged in. I just wanted to give you a heads up on a potential issue, that may not even materialize. Stock gas tanks seem to dissipate heat way better than fuel cells in trunks.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

If that's the "smaller" 160 gph pump the specs say it will support over 1,000 HP with a power adder! Here is a link to some basic sizing info I collected for my project: http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com/efi1.php

Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
If that's the "smaller" 160 gph pump the specs say it will support over 1,000 HP with a power adder! Here is a link to some basic sizing info I collected for my project: http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com/efi1.php
Yes, it's the smaller of the dominator pumps. My plan is to run E85 since I live around a bunch of gas stations that carry the fuel. Thank you for the link, I liked glancing through your website. I've had a few ideas on how I'd like to mount pump, feed and return on my gas tank but ideas are welcome at this point.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

Default Holley EFI Questions

Does anyone on here know if the Holley HP EFI ECU can control the Dominator pump I have? The pump is actually two pumps in one unit and I'd like to have it so that one pump will run all the time and use the second only if/when needed. I found an instruction manual on the HP ECU but it only listed one output for fuel pump. Is this something I would consider the Dominator ECU for?

What harness should I look at? I noticed there is a universal V8 harness but would buying a chevy suffice?

How about any experience with the FAST dual sync distributor? Seems like it would be much easier to drop in one of those distributors instead of locking out a stock or MSD unit for ignition control. I don't know of any other EFI "designated" distributors.

Here is the parts list I have so far...
Holley Dominator 1400 fuel pump 10AN in/out
Holley Dominator regulator 10AN in/8AN return
Holley 260GPH prepump filter 12AN in/out
Holley 260GPH EFI postpump filter 12AN in/out
Holley 12-753 Relay Kit to control the pumps individually

Old 11-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Save your money, forget the dual sync. distributor.
A stock distributor is easy to lock out.
See TheSilverBuick post #11. He used two roll pins to lock the mechanical advance, then removed the vacuum advance.
Disconnect the vacuum advance and disable the mechanical advance.
Acquire a 301 computer controlled distributor, the do not have vacuum or mechanical advance.
Any ECU will control the fuel pump. the second pump will require a Hobbs switch to activate.

Last edited by Ollie; 11-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is my latest foray into cam sensing. It is just a proto-type now, but I plan on installing it in the car later this month. Being as a Buick has the distributor in the front of the engine, I'm looking at replacing the giant HEI with a smaller foot print points distributor.

Took a points distributor, did the standard lock out of the advance plates, this time using a plate with holes (it's way easier to drill and roll pin! I have to put clips on it still to hold it in place). I also still have to put a distributor gear on it, but I only have one steel 455 (Buick) gear and it's currently in the engine.

Rounded out all the lobes but left a high spot. Due to an over zealous hand I goofed and ground it all the way around, so I just ground more but left one high spot and the points actually don't ride on the shaft at all, just get tagged open when the high spot comes around. I stuck the shaft in my drill press and ran 100grit then red scotchbrite over the lobe to polish it somewhat smooth. I was missing a plate that the points bolt too, so I just drilled two new holes right into the vacuum advance plate and set the points there, still able to use the points adjustment slot. I know it will work with MegaSquirt, I do not know enough about the Holley system to know if it will work with it.

As I said, just a proto-type so far, for all I know my grinding job on the lobe could destroy the points contact in a few hundred miles or less, or as I'm hoping go tens of thousands of miles without issue.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will never need the second pump and your whole fuel system is sized way too big. An OEM LS1 in-tank fuel pump and -6 AN lines would be your best choice. I think you will have nothing but problems with your current fuel pump and line choices.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You will never need the second pump and your whole fuel system is sized way too big. An OEM LS1 in-tank fuel pump and -6 AN lines would be your best choice. I think you will have nothing but problems with your current fuel pump and line choices.
I agree.
You are purchasing parts with out doing any research.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Generally agree....E85 does require approximately 1/3 more capacity than gas and many will size up to 50% over initial gas need to cover future needs... However with no mention of HP expected or future goal or power adders, chances are even running one side of that pump will be overkill requiring a decrease in pump voltage to slow things down which has more minuses than pluses imo.

Id keep the pump for future use if plans are 1000hp later on and use something smaller cheaper(used ls in tank pumps can be had incredibly cheap at pull-apart places and exchanged if they don't work) Keep it simple and affordable for now.

fwiw I have 5 years and 125000+ miles on a used pump in my Escalade. Less than $30 bucks with tax iirc and it came with 30 day exchange warranty.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
However with no mention of HP expected or future goal or power adders, chances are even running one side of that pump will be overkill requiring a decrease in pump voltage to slow things down which has more minuses than pluses imo.
His first post says "mild 400." Using Holley's calculator, which is conservative, for 350 HP gives a pump size of 29 gph for pump gas. I've most often seen 30% recommended as the amount to increase flow by for e85. So that would yield 38 gph and 50% would yield 44 gph. The pump I recommended would be more than enough either way.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Senior Chief

As mentioned before, my engine is nothing special currently. I do plan on building a fuel injection system I can grow my engine into. I haven't even gotten to ordering the expensive computer side of this install. Hopefully I don't see any of the downsides of over sizing the fuel system like mentioned. Progress pics will come soon enough...

Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Senior Chief

Once again went against some of the parts recommendations on this thread. I just ordered the FAST dual sync distributor and picked up an Edelbrock super victor efi manifold with dominator pattern. Recently talked with Luhn performance about boost in the future but that's a while before I can afford that. Next in my plan is a holley ecu and throttle body. Haven't been able to make my way over to the garage where my car is at to get any work done so no progress pics.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Senior Chief

Got my FAST dual sync in the mail yesterday. Pricey ($332 shipped) but looks nice. I'm hoping I won't have any accuracy issues in the future by not having an actual crank sensor. Came straight from FAST this week.

Questions...

A friend of mine has been suggesting I try CNP ls style coils. How would I go about that?

I'm new to this fuel injection thing but it seems to me that an msd style cd ignition and single coil would be easier than cnp. For using Holley ECU, I've been thinking digital MSD 6A and blue HVC 2 coil. Are there any reasons for using a rev limiting or 7 series box? My thought is the Holley ECU controls everything.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"A friend of mine has been suggesting I try CNP ls style coils. How would I go about that?"
With the Duel sync, you are stuck with a conventional single coil .
For CNP, Coil Near Plug. requires a 36-1 trigger wheel and a cam sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COP COIL MOUNTING.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	383704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983CROPED.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	383705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945Croped.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	383706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1602CROPED.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	383707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633CROPED.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	383708  

Last edited by Ollie; 12-05-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Senior Chief

Very nice Ollie! How did you go about the cam sensor and driving the oil pump? Looks like you have two different things pictured.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are two different sensors pictured. The first is based on an Accel duel point distributor. The second is based on a ford cam sensor. The housing is machined to fit the Pontiac engine, check the link below. Both sensors connect to the oil pump with the stock slot and tang oil pump extension shaft.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...p?f=71&t=51205
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597CROPED.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	383727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599CROPED.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	383729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632CROPED.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	383731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006CROPED.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	383732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013CROPED.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	383733  

Last edited by Ollie; 12-05-2014 at 08:35 AM.