Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charlie a bigger gate(if needed) could help bypass excess pressure pre-turbine and help allow you to maintain small A/R for response. taking pressure readings across the gate then the turbine is probably best way to determine if a bigger gate may help. Gate placement can have effects here as well. Also for certain going to a larger ID pipe wont hurt. Exhaust will like as big an expansion it can get when it initially exits the turbine.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Star Le Mans View Post
Way to make us 195 owners proud!!! Now i'm going to watch some of your old burnout videos
Lol you're welcome. Thanks for being proud...

I have a couple of new videos too....

Last edited by charlie66; 04-10-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Great numbers!! and thank you for posting the bp readings.
Thanks! and you're welcome. Ill post the numbers with the bigger A/R too...

Old 04-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Did you swap the Turbo exhaust Housing that Dave originally recommended or did you keep it. It was a larger A/R housing that I believe he suggested in the beginning, not as much bottom end response but more top end.

Most guys running the same boost pressure that you are with a V-8 engine are running at least 90mm throttle bodies and i believe Brian H is running a 105mm throttle body. The pressure into the manifold may still be 35-40 psi but the actual mass flow into the engine may be restricted by the throttle body.

You are right on tract with that assumption Charlie. most assume a 1.5-2.0 pressure drop across an intercooler is acceptable, in your example a 10 psi difference would say the intercooler is restricting flow a great deal.

I will say that you never gave up Charlie, from the beginning.
With the blow thru carb stuff and the mods you made to the carb.
With the plumbing changes.
With the exhaust changes.
With the switch to EFI and you learning all about how to tune a boosted EFI engine
With the Fire in your work area and you saving your engine stuff.

You have done really well for yourself and I am very proud of you and your efforts with making a very fast/powerful 4 cylinder engine at high boost pressures for a street car.

Keep up the good work Charlie.

Tom V.
The A/R he sent me was the .68 The .81 I bought from Turbonetics later on. I think Dave was trying to give me the best of both words. So he went with the smaller one because nobody ever really had any real world results of what a 194.5 4 cyl would want/need. I think between you and Dave it was spect really close right off the bat..

As for what size throttle body , I guess after I check the pressure differential before and after the cooler ill figure what size I with need right?

Thanks for you're kind words Tom. It means a lot coming from you. You kept me in check the whole way on this build. One of the biggest things I learned from you is keeping the timing, A/F ratio and air temp in line. Those three things alone are the key in making a motor live...

Old 04-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Charlie a bigger gate(if needed) could help bypass excess pressure pre-turbine and help allow you to maintain small A/R for response. taking pressure readings across the gate then the turbine is probably best way to determine if a bigger gate may help. Gate placement can have effects here as well. Also for certain going to a larger ID pipe wont hurt. Exhaust will like as big an expansion it can get when it initially exits the turbine.
What size waste gate would recommend?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool to see all the power your 4 cylinder is making, always a challenge to figure out what the next hold up is.
Congrats on the great numbers and getting the engine to live at those boost numbers, no easy adventure!
How big is your cam? and how many rpm are you running?

Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by v869tr6 View Post
Cool to see all the power your 4 cylinder is making, always a challenge to figure out what the next hold up is.
Congrats on the great numbers and getting the engine to live at those boost numbers, no easy adventure!
How big is your cam? and how many rpm are you running?
Thank you.

I really like your car man. Very cool!

Cam is 580 lift 251 @ .050 114 degreed to 110

I have found keeping it under 6500 it will live. I cracked 2 cranks over the summer revving to 7200. I revved it that high because that's where it wants to go, but The old cast crank disagrees big time.. So far so good with the 6500. Time will tell. I keep looking at the oil filter and no debris so far to date..

Old 04-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
The A/R he sent me was the .68 The .81 I bought from Turbonetics later on. I think Dave was trying to give me the best of both words. So he went with the smaller one because nobody ever really had any real world results of what a 194.5 4 cyl would want/need. I think between you and Dave it was spect really close right off the bat..

TRUTH!!!!

As for what size throttle body , I guess after I check the pressure differential before and after the cooler ill figure what size I with need right?

Both sides of the inter-cooler and the outlet side of the inter-cooler and the intake manifold should tell you the pressure drop, if any, across the inter-cooler and throttle body.

KIND OF HARD TO CHECK IF THE INTAKE RUNNERS ARE THE CORRECT SIZE EASILY.

Because Dave B at SD did the heads I am assuming that any restriction in the throttle body to valves would be in the intake runners not the heads. Did you ever flow the head and the intake together?

Thanks for you're kind words Tom. It means a lot coming from you. You kept me in check the whole way on this build. One of the biggest things I learned from you is keeping the timing, A/F ratio and air temp in line. Those three things alone are the key in making a motor live...
Well you beat the crap out of the cranks but you really made no real mistakes in timing, A/F, or air temp so you did great!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What head are you running?
How do you keep a gasket in there?
What timing and A/F?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well you beat the crap out of the cranks but you really made no real mistakes in timing, A/F, or air temp so you did great!

Tom V.
The head flows 325 cfm and the intake Dave did flow and it flowed 310 to 315 cfm. Dave actually was surprised being I built the manifold that it flowed as well as it did. So he liked it.

At first I thought the cranks cracked because of the power. Then I realized later after the second crank cracked that I had to sneak up on the rpms and really take another chance to see if it was the power or was I just spinning it too high. So far I have run it @ 40 psi but under 6500 rpms. Spinning it to 7000-7200 was just plain stupid on my behalf. I only did it because it went there in seconds and seemed to like it there... Moldex wants 4500 bucks for a steel crank. I wish I had the cash but ill have to stick with the lower rpms I guess.. I really would love to get a billet wheel turbo and make more power...

Old 04-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What head are you running?
How do you keep a gasket in there?
What timing and A/F?
The head is a Edelbrock round port..

At first I was having lots of problems crushing the bolt towers on the exhaust side. Then I had seel sleeves pressed in. Ever since the it fine. I used to have water spraying out of the radiator even at 15 psi because it was losing its clamping force. Now even at 40 it never does it. Its a cometic 3 layer gasket and it works great. I don't copper spray it either.. They told me put it on dry..

I have the timing set at 23 for 40 psi and 24 for 30 and 34.

A/F is set for .80 Lambda which is 11.76 A/F

i use e85 for fuel....

Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Charlie, isn't the car going to be featured in a magazine soon? If you want to borrow my turbo to try it let me know. I still got some work to do to get it back together.
Car is bad ass for sure!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot I am T6 you are T4!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Boost Engineer

I believe that Turbonetics makes a T-80 Housing now with a T-4 frame size that uses billet wheel parts.

Mid frame turbochargers are the absolute largest units with T4 flange! Featuring Turbonetics Ceramic Ball Bearing as a standard equipment, Mid frame turbochargers will meet and exceed the needs of high horsepower racers and crazy street applications!

1.14 exhaust housing and I believe a billet wheel offered.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIDFRAME_FRONT HP-76 1.14.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	425882  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
The head is a Edelbrock round port..

At first I was having lots of problems crushing the bolt towers on the exhaust side. Then I had seel sleeves pressed in. Ever since the it fine. I used to have water spraying out of the radiator even at 15 psi because it was losing its clamping force. Now even at 40 it never does it. Its a cometic 3 layer gasket and it works great. I don't copper spray it either.. They told me put it on dry..

I have the timing set at 23 for 40 psi and 24 for 30 and 34.

A/F is set for .80 Lambda which is 11.76 A/F

i use e85 for fuel....
Thanks for the info.
Hoping mine does better, I will now have the insert washers and my last set of Cometic's I did spray with copper and the results were worse then dry so that's what I will be doing this time.
Guess I am leaving a bunch on the table with 21 degrees at 21 psi and low 11's for A/F but I don't rev past about 5500 so I send more time near the torque peak.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Hoping mine does better, I will now have the insert washers and my last set of Cometic's I did spray with copper and the results were worse then dry so that's what I will be doing this time.
Guess I am leaving a bunch on the table with 21 degrees at 21 psi and low 11's for A/F but I don't rev past about 5500 so I send more time near the torque peak.
Your car is in the 8's I know we all want to go faster! LOL

lean it out a little and see what happens!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Your car is in the 8's I know we all want to go faster! LOL

lean it out a little and see what happens!
If Charlie had 8 cylinders he would be in the 7's

Old 04-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If Charlie had 8 cylinders he would be in the 7's
It sounds like you know Charlie well! He will push the limit of anything he builds.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Charlie, isn't the car going to be featured in a magazine soon? If you want to borrow my turbo to try it let me know. I still got some work to do to get it back together.
Car is bad ass for sure!
Yes it is .

That would be cool . But like you said its a t6 flange .
Thanks for the offer

Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I believe that Turbonetics makes a T-80 Housing now with a T-4 frame size that uses billet wheel parts.

Mid frame turbochargers are the absolute largest units with T4 flange! Featuring Turbonetics Ceramic Ball Bearing as a standard equipment, Mid frame turbochargers will meet and exceed the needs of high horsepower racers and crazy street applications!

1.14 exhaust housing and I believe a billet wheel offered.

Tom V.
That's a big turbo for my little motor. lol. I would love to try it though.. I wonder how the 1.14 A/R would work...