Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
I never thought of it that way . Adding another carb to help with the intake cooling. Interesting..

I was wondering , has anyone ever tried putting a hat on a roots blowers carb with a intercooler and conected to it to see if it could draw through it ? If it could run maybe it would help it cool the air charge? lol.. If i had one id try it just to see... I would imagine that when those blades get spinning it would create a heck of a draw ..
Don't need an intercooler with e-85.

GTO George

Old 02-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Thats also true with root blower engines. The smaller then engine the more boost you need to make up the difference in the cubes BUT without the rest of the parts to go along with more boost it won't be a happy engine.
What tom was trying to say was mumble jumble but it was getting late for him. lol!

GTO George
I decided to remove my comments to George vs screw up this mans thread.

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 02-27-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
You sure do tell some funny stories (lies), George.
Problem is that is all they are. No real info in 99% of your posts.
But keep on posting, it is really funny to read your stuff.
One time you post you can make 20 psi with your supercharger.
In this thread you say. "With my small blower set up (compared to a 12-71 or 14-71) all I can make (boost wise) is 11.5 lbs and I have to spin it almost 30% over (which is a lot for a roots blower of that size) to do that," What happened to the 20 psi number you said your 8-71 blower would make George?

Tom V.

Performerrpm, take 99% of what George says with caution. He is old and can't remember what he posted in the past.
So he just make stuff up. Stick with Charlie66 and some of the other guys.
Tom, I’m sorry that you’re getting confused but you’re wrong on my info. There is only time one of my engines made 20 lbs of boost and it was on a Dyno...it has a smaller camshaft, less flowing heads and smaller tube headers. That was a long time ago that engine broke it had an IA block. This is a different engine, I’ve had this engine quite a while it has a better camshaft, better flowing heads and bigger tube zoomie headers, that all adds up to a better flowing engine and a lot less boost.... but on a plus side more HP!

GTO George

Old 02-27-2019, 10:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Tom, I’m sorry that you’re getting confused but you’re wrong on my info. There is only time one of my engines made 20 lbs of boost and it was on a Dyno...it has a smaller camshaft, less flowing heads and smaller tube headers. That was a long time ago that engine broke it had an IA block. This is a different engine, I’ve had this engine quite a while it has a better camshaft, better flowing heads and bigger tube zoomie headers, that all adds up to a better flowing engine and a lot less boost.... but on a plus side more HP! GTO George
Thanks for the new information George. So what was the HP number on the dyno when you were at 20 psi of boost George? The engine was telling you something, but happy that you finally figured it out.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Thanks for the new information George. So what was the HP number on the dyno when you were at 20 psi of boost George? The engine was telling you something, but happy that you finally figured it out.

Tom V.
It’s a secret if I told you............
It’s been posted before!
This engine I have now has never been on the Dyno only the dragstrip but it doesn’t have to be the ET speaks for themselves!

GTO Geirge

Old 02-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

arguing or not theres been plenty of good info on both sides....lol been good reading

Old 02-27-2019, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

how awesome would it sound @ 15.x cr on the street even tho i guess i could get the same with lower cr and more boost.

i was planning on the bug catcher but ive also been lookin at the fast xfi dual efi blower setups they have and theres also an efi blower spacer with injectors to use whatever tb's a person might want. but if maybee carbs would be better.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
arguing or not theres been plenty of good info on both sides....lol been good reading
You may also think about aluminum rods, I have GRP’s in my opinion I wouldn’t run a supercharger without them also use Brad Penn oil it’s a must when using alcohol as fuel.

GTO George

Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

tom v.

if a gasket 4 times as thick would get me to 8.9ish which like u said probally wouldnt stay. what about 1 half as thick? wouldnt that get it closer to the 10 range which might survive the 6 psi and e85?

Old 02-27-2019, 11:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm glad u did not take it the wrong way. It is a lot of good info if u didn't think of negative on the posts. Good luck with your build.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

george, ive only got the eagle h beams at the minute....po boy stuff lil.

i always thought alum rods were more of a race type deal and might not last long on the street

Old 02-28-2019, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

73 transam....haha ive been reading george n tom argue for several years now.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Quote:
george, ive only got the eagle h beams at the minute....po boy stuff lil.

i always thought alum rods were more of a race type deal and might not last long on the street
Maybe you should put the build off a few years so you can do it right.....just a thought.

GTO George

Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

lol i been on off on this build for along time.

i bought all these n/a build parts like 10 years ago then had to put the car and parts n storage. i just now got the car home a year ago and all the metal replaced on the body.

i dont mind building awhole nother motor id just like to get to use some of this one if i can while i do it. i have decent parts i think

the 310 eheads for solid roller husler headers
the mentioned rods/ and ross pistons but a stock crank.

even tho it was on hold i picked up some stuff over time like the moser 9 inch and jerico 4 speed

Old 02-28-2019, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Quote:
lol i been on off on this build for along time.

i bought all these n/a build parts like 10 years ago then had to put the car and parts n storage. i just now got the car home a year ago and all the metal replaced on the body.

i dont mind building awhole nother motor id just like to get to use some of this one if i can while i do it. i have decent parts i think

the 310 eheads for solid roller husler headers
the mentioned rods/ and ross pistons but a stock crank.

even tho it was on hold i picked up some stuff over time like the moser 9 inch and jerico 4 speed
If you keep it on the street you’ll be ok....I don’t like the eagle rods and the heads are kind of weak. 800 hp or under maybe, that’s the level at where I tore my mains out with a stick block.

GTO George

Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't need an intercooler with e-85.

GTO George
I needed one with my turbo combo.. .

Old 02-28-2019, 08:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think if ur compression is at 10to1 and u keep it at 6 lbs> I don't think it will be an issue. Eagle rods are not the best but there are a lot of people running then successfully. I like the L19 rod bolts but a lot don't like them either. I would put that together and enjoy the car. Just know your limitation and be conservative. Also E85 is a must at that compression or race gas.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Boost Engineer

Based on my post about the compression ratio (wallace calculator) how is he going to get that magical 10 to 1 compression ratio you suggest. Custom Head gaskets? New Pistons?
Post up your thoughts on that please.

Tom V.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Based on my post about the compression ratio (wallace calculator) how is he going to get that magical 10 to 1 compression ratio you suggest. Custom Head gaskets? New Pistons?
Post up your thoughts on that please.

Tom V.
Hello Tom.

Does a roots blower make more heat at 6psi then a turbo ?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy pistons, rods are fine, with a good bolt they will be fine to 1400 h.p. Guy with a turbo on YB been using them for years with even more h.p.