Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 PM

The different people that replied with objections to a master list all had valid reasons. It would be complicated due to the length of the list, the different years and variations by assembly plant as well as the workers not always being consistent. My original reason for asking about this was that as a rookie undertaking his first attempt at a restoration I had no idea what colors to paint items. In order to learn I did searches on this site, purchased service books, went to shows, etc. I figure I came up with 60% of what I needed to know. If I asked a question it was answered promptly on this site (you guys are so helpful and knowledgeable!).
My thoughts were that with this much knowledge being asked and repeated on the site it would make sense to have some sort of basic list in which to work with based on the info given here. The more high tech questions such as “all the different finishes & numbers on the carbs” would be better off discussed within the site. But if you wanted to know what color to paint the firewall or shocks in a particular year you could refer to the list.

It was mentioned in 2008 “The GTOAA is having the tech director for each year compile a list of finishes for their respective years. These lists will be gone over by some of the GTOAA judges and top restorers. Once the list is approved, it will be published and available from the GTOAA.”
Someone recently asked me if I ever compiled a list which is why I brought this up again and asked about the GTOAA list. I never did a list because I am not qualified to even begin with colors or even some of the the part names.
I did see a very general list in the book “How to Restore your Muscle Car” by Greg Donahue. Nice "how to book" for the novice restorer but of course I painted the rear end and other parts the wrong colors.
Did the GTOAA ever come up with any lists at all?
Greg P

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I support the notion of a "Master paint list" However, I see a glaring difference in Firewall & Exterior Floor colors for the 70 Judge vs 68 GTO.

For example: the 70 Judge Firewall (Arlington TX build) paint is a medium Medigrayscale color, not any % Black. Black could be sprayed on top and it will blend but will be wrongk. The Medium Gray is deep&dark but not charcoal. would be an "Original" indicator huh.

The 68 PON-built GTO has the typical medium % gloss Black firewall.
I'll throw a curveball at you: the 69 vert I am finishing, early Arlington build, originally limelight, came from the factory with a BROWN painted firewall. I can state this with over 99% certainty as the car had about 40K on it, was never restored, and pristine brown paint was evident underneath everything I removed from the firewall, in addition to the somewhat faded brown paint evident everywhere else on the firewall.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
I'll throw a curveball at you: the 69 vert I am finishing, early Arlington build, originally limelight, came from the factory with a BROWN painted firewall. I can state this with over 99% certainty as the car had about 40K on it, was never restored, and pristine brown paint was evident underneath everything I removed from the firewall, in addition to the somewhat faded brown paint evident everywhere else on the firewall.
I never could hit the curveball. So I guess it's fair to say that we are 100% certain that nothing is 100% certain when it came to paint & nonpainted parts of the cars. Should we be making statements like "in general the xyz item was 60% gloss black" ?
I would still like to see a "general" list for reference for the "new" restorers. Also for shows since you would then know that the you would have to prove your firewall was brown from the begining or end up with point deductions. You could be prepared in advance when you took it to the show and not have to argue about it after the fact.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 PM

An older thread but seems quite detailed! I have been searching for a paint list of things that I am unable to determine what color or gloss level. I understand that there seems to be many variations or that people's interpretations are different but is this still a decent list to go by??

Acouple things that seem to be missing and that I am unsure of is the ram air setup. The upper/lower and air cleaner cover they would be a higher gloss. 60% or more?

Also the upper dash that's the interior color. From what I have found seems its a 0% gloss and possible with suede additive to give a bit of texture? From the restoration book can I assume that the code for 0% gloss interior would be for the upper dash? If it is would this paint code come with the suede additive or would it need to be added?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7939.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	488230  

Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you look up original code on upper dash in lacquer it will have the suede additive in the formula.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM

It was mentioned in 2008 “The GTOAA is having the tech director for each year compile a list of finishes for their respective years. These lists will be gone over by some of the GTOAA judges and top restorers. Once the list is approved, it will be published and available from the GTOAA.”

Did this list or any other format of this type ever actually get finished?

Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not to my Knowledge.

70 SPECIAL ORDER SABLE BLACK 4SPEED III JUDGE
70 ATOLE BLUE AUTO GTO
69 C.RED 4SPEED III JUDGE
67 WHITE 4SPEED 400 VERT FIREBIRD
65 MAIZE 4SPEED TRIPOWER VERT GTO
65 TURQ. 4SPEED TRIPOWER VERT GTO

WANTING A IV......
20 other non-pontiacs which need to be thinned down so I can buy more PONTIACS
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug! Good to hear from you again.
Was thinking of you when I read this post today:

Barn Find

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates